main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're All Fine Here, Thanks. How Are You? - The FanFic Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I want to continue the convo about corporal punishment here, but I cannot quote the posts and tag people from Tapatalk at friend's home, so...somebody do it for me, so we don't spam Chyn's story?

2. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Ewok Poet Here you go.

TrakNar and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Thanks. :)

We also had another type of corporal punishment, where we would stand up, sometimes during the whole class (45 minutes). I remember an occasion where the whole class had to stand up during an entire math test.

Not to mention the teacher breaking our stuff made in the art class (e.g. if they were made of cardboard boxes glued together) in case we finished too early for her liking...

This was in the lower grades of elementary school, so 1989 to 1993.

4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    We had a bit of corporal punishment when I went to school, but I attended military school.

The nice thing about going to a military school is I went through a year of horrible hazing, but then I get to dish it out for the next three years. Not that I did anything horrible to the new students. The one thing I did do that I thought was funny was during dinner the new military cadets rarely got to eat dessert. So when I was the highest ranking cadet at the table I told the new cadets that I would let them eat ice cream, but since I didn't want my classmates to see that I was being lenient with them they would have to be quick. So they got ice cream in a bowl and when I said go they shoved as much ice cream into their mouth as possible. HA! There were tears in their eyes as they all got an ice cream headache. Once they choked it down I thought they had enough. I said, "You want another big bite?" To my surprise they all said, "Yes, Ma'am!" :p

During my first year there I didn't get a lot of physical hazing other than senior cadets calling us into their room and have us at attention spouting the military knowledge we were supposed to memorize. If we got it wrong they were in our face screaming at me and my friends like that drill sergeant in Full Metal Jacket. Usually they would keep us there for hours until we got dizzy from being at attention so long (it prevents blood from getting back to your brain). Another thing they thought was fun was to send us back to our rooms to fix our uniform. My roommates tried for two hours to get to the latrine, but the upperclassmen were sitting in the hallway, backs against the wall and just waiting for us new cadets to walk out the door. Finally I said, "Sir! May I make a statement?" They said, "Okay" and I replied. "Sir! This new cadet needs to urinate!" I screamed it out in a sharp military fashion. They started cracking up and let me go. My roommates heard this and they tried the same thing. The upperclassmen said, "We're not falling for that twice. Get back to your room and fix your uniforms!"

Stang! I miss military school.

5. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Honestly, to me the real torture in school wasn't being made to stand as a punishment, it was what we had to learn and HOW we had to learn it. We were expected to memorize everything, down to the last comma, and to recite it by rote for exams. For some subjects they even gave us the page numbers that we were supposed to recite, so a history exam question would be "how did Charilaos Trikoupis become prime minister? (pages 35 to 38 of the manual)" :eek: I kid you not. And I assure you that entire generations educated this way are much more of a problem to a country that having been made to stand in a corner. Most kids are left with half a brain when they complete school.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  6. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I had to post this. Storm Troopers are at the United States Military Academy!

May the Fourth be with you!

[​IMG]

Since it looks like he has a report in his hand this might be part of the Soch Run. The Department of Social Studies has a major end of term paper due on a certain date at 1600 hours. Cadets that wait until the last minute traditionally will dress up and do a mad sprint to turn their paper in before the deadline. I thought that was in April though, so this might simply be something special for Star Wars Day.

TrakNar, jcgoble3, Kahara and 2 others like this.
  7. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Writing, celebrating my mom's birthday, household chores. All sorts of things.

Chyntuck and Kahara like this.
  8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    You mom was born on Star Wars Day? Awesome. Tell her 'Happy Birthday!'.

jcgoble3 and whiskers like this.
  9. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Happy birthday to her, Whiskers! :D *Hauls out cake*

whiskers likes this.
  10. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    May the Fourth be with your mom on her birthday!

And... Mabel was born in may, but we're not sure what day. So, I'm going to assign her Star Wars Day for a birthday.

11. whiskers

May 19, 2005
    My grandma and I took her to a new Mexican restaurant in town and all of us are stuffed. Great food, just so much of it.

Ewok Poet, Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Happy birthday, whiskers' mom! :)

This was released yesterday and I officially can't even. Just ordered it on eBay.

[​IMG]

Chyntuck, Kahara , Gamiel and 7 others like this.
  13. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Just got back from my Witches and Witchcraft class. It's going to be so much fun, however, I have to do 4 papers for it by June 1st (none of them are super long, 3 are 1000 words and the 4th is 2000 words, plus there is very little outside research and no exams) so needless to say, I am going to have to like eat, sleep and breathe witches until then, so I may disappear.

Anyways, but for our big final paper for the class we have to take a modern representation of witch from some fictional medium and analyze how historical ideas of witches connect to the character or characters.

So I'm going to try to convince my professor to let me do my paper on Danthomir Witches and Teneniel Djo. This is the same prof that let me do a medieval European paper on Monty Python, so I do have a shot ;)

Kahara , mavjade , Goodwood and 2 others like this.
  14. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Yub, yub. :p

That actually reminds me of the worst thing about the whole 'Legends' thing. I'll never get a Tenel Ka action figure. And that... actually really cheeses me off.

Gamiel and whiskers like this.
  15. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm glad that I got Mara Jade and Toryn Farr before they were devoured by NuCanon. *poses some Toruckuss cuddle time*

Toruckuss? Zuckoryn? THEY NEED A SHIP NAME D:

Revanfan1 and Kahara like this.
  16. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I have yet to get a Mara Jade figure :( I should get on that before all traces of the EU have disappeared :(

In OTHER nerdy news. I just got a reply from my prof: Dathomir Witch paper is approved! Now I have to force myself through COPL again in like a few nights.

I'm going to need a caffeine IV.

Chyntuck, Kahara and jcgoble3 like this.
  17. whiskers

May 19, 2005
    I don't have a Mara Jade, but I was able to get a Lumiya figure in those awesome comic two-packs. I wish that they would have done more of them.

18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I am back to working night shift for the next two weeks.
    And of course now it decides to finally be nice outside when I need to sleep. :(

You should come over to Massachusetts and go to Salem for research! :D
    I've been there a few times (it's about an hour away from where I currently live) it's a lot of fun. There are some really cheesy witch museums, but then there are also some places that sell all kinds of herbs, ruins, etc.

I managed to get the Kotobukiya Jaina statue at Celebration. I was a little shocked they had her there and had been debating buying her previously, so when I saw her, I grabbed her. (She and my Kotobukiya Mara are going to hang out together when they are living in the same place.)

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I recommend Miskatonic university in Arkham, they have some really good books. Also if you go there so must you take a detour to Innsmouth, it is just a short buss ride, and see Ogham Waite & The Amphibian Jazz Band live at Gilman house. I saw them once and it was really something.

whiskers likes this.
  20. whiskers

May 19, 2005
    Is Dr. West still doing well?

21. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Today's entry to my upcoming book titled Stupid Warning Labels: Are We Better Off Without Them? (not really) comes from the $10 lap desk that I purchased at Walmart tonight:

[​IMG]

"Drilling, sawing, sanding, or machining wood products generates wood dust." Gee, I didn't know that! :rolleyes:

Revanfan1, Kahara , Ewok Poet and 2 others like this.
  22. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I don't care what anyone else may or may not say. The limited number of EU figures released was a big mistake by whoever was in charge and a miss for some big bucks. :mad:I don't care about Anakin Skywhiner. Gimme Tenel Ka, Zekk and the other YJK, dammit!

Revanfan1, jcgoble3 and whiskers like this.
  23. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Here's something really cool: we now have real life-sign detectors! They actually found four people buried in the rubble of the Nepal earthquake with them. Once again, science fiction becomes science reality. :D

Chyntuck, Kahara , Goodwood and 2 others like this.
  24. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Always good when science is used to help and save lives. [:D]

jcgoble3, Goodwood and Ewok Poet like this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Seems I cried freedom a bit to early :( . Because of an misunderstanding in how the paper was supposed to be delivered to the university so am I not to be judged until next semester. Oh, well, at least I don't need to make a new paper.

Chyntuck likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.