main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're All Fine Here, Thanks. How Are You? - The FanFic Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001

For aesthetic purposes or are they functional? :p

Ewok Poet and Gamiel like this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Blasters!

TrakNar likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    They are rocket boobs!
    [​IMG]

TrakNar and Goodwood like this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    That video is such a ripoff of Barbarella, together with Kylie's Put Yourself In My Place and Jem's They. And Barbarella is so wonderfully WTF.

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think the term the creator were going for was homage

Ewok Poet likes this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    You don't always have to correct us, you know. ;) I know that, I was poking fun.

Findswoman likes this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Me to, the "poking fun" part, in my own way ;)

I should probably have added a smiley :oops:

Ewok Poet likes this.
  8. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001

I was picturing the male nurse in Doctor Who: "I can produce magnificent lactic fluid!"

Findswoman likes this.
  9. metophlus

metophlus Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 30, 2015
    I am so close to pissed at a poster on here who agreed to be my editor, because they are taking an unnaturally long time to edit approximately 1,000 words.

And I see their fairly detailed, long posts from today.

Am I being unreasonable? Is there something I am not getting?

10. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    So somebody volunteered to edit your post and because they are taking too long in your opinion you decided to publicly complain about it? I hope this person doesn't frequent these boards or this thread. You should have shot them a PM because that is not a way to keep a beta. I do think you are unreasonable.

11. metophlus

Jun 30, 2015
    A PM can go ignored, Jedi_Lover.

A public complaint is a bit harder to ignore, isn't it?

12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I think you may lose your beta at this time. [face_thinking]

13. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    I would send them a PM rather than making a public post about it.

But for what it's worth, when I edit people's stuff, I usually go over it once, wait a while, then go over it again with fresh eyes. Unless they agreed to get it back to you within a specific timeframe, I don't think there's any need to get upset. (Assuming "unnaturally long" doesn't mean, like, weeks or something). Have you tried asking them how long they think it's going to take? Honestly, I do think it's a little unreasonable to expect them to do nothing but edit your chapter until they're finished with it. It's not like they're getting paid for it; they can take breaks to do other stuff. Or maybe they're waiting until they have a chunk of time long enough to edit the whole thing in one sitting. Again, this is something you should be asking them directly about if you honestly think it's been an unreasonable amount of time.

metophlus likes this.
  14. metophlus

Jun 30, 2015
    Jedi_Lover : Because I spoke up about being treated like a second-class citizen.

15. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    What are you talking about?

16. star_writer24

star_writer24 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 15, 2006
    Hey guys can you tell me the date of publication for stories that won't be affected by the 10000 character thing, i am looking for new stories to read where i can read the complete post so for example anthing after oct of 2013 is the type of answer i am looking for thanks! I hope that made sense.

17. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    Uh, yeah, a PM could theoretically be ignored. But the polite thing to do would be to send them a PM first instead of just assuming they're going to ignore it. If I were them, I wouldn't be too happy that you decided to complain publicly - which, yes, is harder to ignore, for them and for all the rest of us - instead of giving them the benefit of the doubt and shooting them a message.

Assuming the complaint is even deserved, of course. It's okay for them to have a life outside your project. If they said "I'll get back to you tomorrow" a week ago and haven't mentioned anything about it since, that'd be one thing and you'd be justified in asking them about it. If you sent it last night and think they should have set aside everything else to finish it ASAP, not so much.

What?

At worst, they accidentally forgot about it. But as I said, they are not getting paid to edit your chapter. They are not obligated to edit your chapter, and they certainly aren't obligated to drop everything else they're doing in order to finish it as quickly as possible. They're doing you a favor. What you consider an "unnaturally long time" is not necessarily what they would consider such. The most likely scenario is that you and your editor had different expectations about how long it should be before they got it back to you. You should clear up those expectations one way or the other, and consider yourself lucky if they still want to work with you even though you complained about their work on a public thread instead just talking to them. For all you know, they're taking a long time because they have high standards of thoroughness, and the fact that you immediately assume they're being malicious says more about you than it does about them.

18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    It would be any fanfic started after the beginning of September 2012...I think. Does anybody remember the exact date of the move? I know the problem of truncated posts was discussed as early as 3 September 2012.

19. star_writer24

star_writer24 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 15, 2006
  20. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    You know, sometimes people have lives outside of this forum that will take precedence over certain projects. Keep that in mind and calm down.

Jedi_Lover and skygawker like this.
  21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That would make a great meme TrakNar.

[​IMG]

22. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    September 3, 2012, was the date that the XenForo permanent boards (i.e. these boards) went live to the public. The old IGN boards were shut down and the temp boards were launched on March 21 or 22 of that year. So basically anything prior to summer 2012 (winter if you're south of the equator) is affected by the truncation issue (unless the author has fixed it), while anything after then is not. You won't find any posts between those two dates, except for a few posts in late May from where mods were preparing to open the new boards before major issues with missing posts were discovered.

23. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Mod Message: Airing private grievances against another user in a public area is NOT okay. I will not edit any messages because no direct names were given. This matter is being dealt with privately, so please move along.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  24. metophlus

Jun 30, 2015
    Mod edit: removed for baiting.

25. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Wow, dude.

Calm down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.