main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're All Fine Here, Thanks. How Are You? - The FanFic Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luminous beings are we...

Luminous beings are we... Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 19, 2013
    Oh, I'm sorry! I'd better have another look at the rules. #growingpains

Thank you for taking the time to consider the intention behind my goof. That's kind of you.

2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    So Lu, I take it you're a fan of the comics? Gonna participate in our AMA thread?

Chyntuck likes this.
  3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I have my Foxy painting on a shelf in a dark corner of my living room. I can only see the eyes and the teeth.

Don't hurt me, Foxy! D:

4. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Art so good it scares the artist! Put this lady in a gallery and hire her, Lucasfilm!

jcgoble3 and Raissa Baiard like this.
  5. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    It doesn't help that I also have Bonnie's unfinished head in my closet. The same closet where Foxy will eventually go (where I keep all my paintings). They will take over the closet.

6. Luminous beings are we...

Sep 19, 2013
    Um... AMA thread? What is it?

Comics are—sadly—a difficult thing for me. I love looking at them, but I find it hard to follow the stories. Haven't got the rhythm for it. Guess I'm more of the dull flat-footed give-me-plain-black-on-white kind of reader.

But yonder piece of shiny (Threepio avatar) was noticed in the perusal of an icon collection made by a talented livejournal user. Once asked, she said I could swipe it. I did. Ta-da!

Now, having babbled on at length, I'd still like to find out: What is the AMA thread?

7. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    It's a FanFic AMA thread where we can ask you annoying questions and you answer them. If you'd like to participate, then PM one of the moderators (mavjade who's on vacation, and Briannakin, who's a licensed driver!).

Anyway, I'm the same with comics—lots of pretty pictures punctuated by annoyingly small writing and daffy, overextended plots.

Chyntuck likes this.
  8. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I love comics.

Behold my boxes of comics and bags of comics and shelves of comics. I have unsorted comics that I need to get around to bagging, boarding, and putting away. I need to resort my sorted comics to accommodate the unsorted comics. I have to go through my shelves and resort some comics when I put more comics away. I also have books on drawing comics, and I draw my own comics. I just put fifteen pages of a thirteen-year-old fancomic away in a new envelope after the old one fell apart. I also have one motion comic because it came with the Ultimate Cut of Watchmen.

If you are to read one comic, read Watchmen. If you can't read the print, find the motion comic and have it read to you. Also, CBR readers allow you to zoom WAAAAAY in, so the print can be plenty big to read, especially on a large screen.

jcgoble3 and Gamiel like this.
  9. Luminous beings are we...

Sep 19, 2013
    Motion comics—I remember some being made of the SW stuff over in the EU section of the forums. Very cool and, sure enough, they did help me appreciate the format. I wonder if that fan has gotten around to any of the Rogue Squadron comics...

AMA as in Ask Me Anything. Ah-ha! I get it—a little slow, but I got it. Even asked a few questions there upon a time.

The way I keep prattling about me, maybe I should ask for a turn in the AMA thread and have it out at once. Then I could settle down and learn to socialize, instead of always trying to present myself. Or the sight of me pratfalling. (I am learning, I am learning, I am...)

10. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Findswoman The dry ice was in little buckets leading up to the altar and I think they were using it for like special effects (as it was spooky Halloween themed wedding) --- but it kind of got away from them as they had to wait for it to die off so we could see them at the altar. First it looked cool, but them it became a nuisance and was a little funny. Note to self -- a little dry ice goes a long way.

11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I was going to work on some projects tonight, but I felt too crappy, so I'm going to read Arkham Asylum instead.

QuickEdit: That's another comic I highly recommend, by the way.

12. Luminous beings are we...

Sep 19, 2013
  13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth.

I have the 15th anniversary edition with the full script and author's notes.

14. Luminous beings are we...

Sep 19, 2013
    Ah. You'd said that's, not there's—I'd misread it.

"A Serious House on Serious Earth" is a spiffy-sounding subtitle. I like it. Good for what ails you, I take it.

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    It's a sort of deconstruction of Batman, and a peek into his own inner demons as seen through the eyes of the Arkham inmates.

16. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Good morning from Milwaukee, everyone!

Briannakin, congratulations on passing the driving test—hooray for newfound transportational independence! That's the first time I've heard of back-in parking being part of a driving test; neither that nor parallel parking were part of mine (I still have difficulties with the latter and can't really do the former at all). But the main thing is, you're a legit driver now, & that's reason to celebrate!

Luminous beings are we..., the conference is the annual meeting of the American Musicological Society. My company has a booth in the exhibit hall with lots of our recent books/scores, and besides selling them we also spend time talking with people who might want to submit proposals and such. There are paper sessions during the day too, and a few concerts. As with just about all work conferences, it's really kind of a mini vacation for me, not only because it's respite from the usual homelife but because of the chance to see numerous old colleagues, friends, schoolmates, etc.

...and I swear that the hotel and convention center where they're holding this thing is the same one I went to for some kind of SW or sci-fi convention years ago. [face_thinking] Was one of the early Celebrations held in Milwaukee?

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    TrakNar maybe we should ask Luminous beings are we... what she likes before recommending things like Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth and Watchmen, I am not saying that they are not good just that they can be a bit of an acquired taste. Also I don't think Watchmen is a superhero comic that you should begin with since mush of what makes it great is how it subvert the troops that was used back then.

Personally I recommend Franco-Belgian comics like Tintin, Spiro (begin with the older albums) and Long John Silver.If you are going to read superhero comics I recommend Chris Claremont's X-Men, John Byrne's Fantastic Four and Superman, Marvel Adventure Spider-Man, and anything by Jack Kirby

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I wasn't saying to start with them; I was just recommending them as they're a departure from the norm. For some, it's that departure that got them into comics.

For me, I got into comics through the old Archie TMNT series. My grandpa had a whole bunch of Conan the Barbarian magazines, but those have boobies in them and I was too young to read them at the time. Though, I started reading Heavy Metal when I turned thirteen, and that has lots of boobies in it.

QuickEdit: Three more posts until my 6,666th post! I won't make it count. :p

skygawker, Gamiel and Goodwood like this.
  19. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    I read Watchmen for the first time a year or so ago - I really liked it, and I've been told the movie is worth watching as well, even though I haven't personally read a lot of comics.

My other favorite "departure from/deconstruction of superhero tropes" thing is the web serial Worm, which I highly recommend. Anyone else here read it?

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    So, when I got up today, my left eye was pasted shut with crust. It's still crusty, it's watery, and it's red.

That makes the illness count up to three: All-over body rash, nasty cold with a deep, chest cough, and now an irritated and crusty left eye. Oh, and I have absolutely no appetite, so I haven't eaten a single thing today.

FREAKIN REALLY 8(

22. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I was at the gym today and we have a new member who I swear looks just like a heavyset Green Arrow. He has the facial hair exactly the same. He had blondish hair and I think he was wearing green sweatpants. He and Sweaty Thor should get together to fight crime. The crook can slip on the sweat cover floor and then hit with a well aimed green arrow.

So I put an offer on a house yesterday and it was accepted today. It is in the city that my boys go to their charter school. So now I don't have to hang out at the library or the gym while waiting for them to finish their classes. I still will live in the boondocks, but this house is right next to the college (walking distance). So when my oldest son goes to college in 2.5 years he can stay there. Then two years later my other son will be in college and he can room with his brother (I cringe imagining this. They don't get along). I just need it to appraise and financing to go through. Wish me luck.

Gemma, Revanfan1, Chyntuck and 3 others like this.
  23. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Lol. I feel like some sort of sitcom could be written about your gym JL. Congrats and good luck on the house.

I'm going to pester my step-dad to take me car shopping tomorrow, though doubt he will. Arg.

I have consumed an iced-cappuccino in hopes that it will help me get a chunk written on my pirate essay. So far my results have been hampered by a laundry distraction and footnotes being REALLY stupid. But my research is done and I'll be up for quite a while now, so hopefully I'll be somewhat productive over the next few hours.

Also, I don't know if I have told you guys this, but my sister found a rescue cat from a shelter up north and she decided to adopt him. According to the owner of the shelter, he is the cuddliest cat she has ever rescued in her 23 years. We didn't think he was coming till next week (the owner has to go through town so she offered to bring him to us) but he's actually coming late tonight. I'm very excited. Agatha is getting a boyfriend. His name is Ro.

Gemma likes this.
  24. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    "hampered by a laundry distraction"

top kek Briannakin. Good luck with the new kitty, and make sure to post pics!

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    So, I put my Foxy painting on a shelf in my living room...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.