main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're All Fine Here, Thanks. How Are You? - The FanFic Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    My sister said if I still want it by the weekend that she'll do it for me. I want to leave the actual mohawk really long so I can pull it back into a ponytail. I think that looks really awesome. My only issue is that my hair grows really fast, so the upkeep might get annoying. But I think I am going to do it.

NightWatcher91 and Gamiel like this.
  2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    That reminds me to pull out the clippers and buzz my hair. I'd buzz it into a fauxhawk, but I'm not that proficient with clippers yet.

3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Good morning!

Okay, I went to the university, did all the paperwork for the course, got the intro documents and now I'm back home and I need to:
    1. Catch up on everything I missed on the boards over the past few days,
    2. Read and review all the stories I follow,
    3. Update my fic,
    4. Take notes on the new stuff on the recipes thread (thanks Findswoman),
    5. Get started on the Word Race,
    6. Answer PMs,
    7. Post on the Fanon thread,
    8. Errr... maybe read some of the documentation they gave me this morning?
    9. Buy non-coronary food,
    10. Try not to freeze to death,
    11. Harass Ewok Poet some more on the FFAMA thread.

This is going to be a loooong day. 8-}

EDIT: Did you guys see the George Lucas Special Edition of the trailer? I'm laughing my head off! (behind spoiler tag for those who chose not to even see the trailer)

4. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    ROTFLspew. [face_rofl]

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    As a swed so would I like to point out that the umulats should be above the A, not the S, and that it is actualy named Treklöver, lightsaber three way extension kit as you will see when your non-swedish IKEA catalogues uppdates.

Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  6. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    What's a good night's sleep? How do people find this most elusive thing...

jcgoble3 and thedarkbeckons like this.
  7. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I know, last night was terrible. My deaf cat likes to meow at 3 AM. He meows loud enough that he can hear himself....which is loud. I couldn't get back to sleep so I took my medicine that is supposed to help me sleep...but I took some 4 hours earlier. After I took it I started wondering if that was a bad thing and if I would die in my sleep from taking my sleep medicine twice. I survived obviously but I had a weird dream about a propane tank blowing up and taking down a building.

My sleep was messed up by the kids having a week off of school. We all are night owls and when we don't have school we don't have to get up early. So all week it was us watching tv or surfing the internet until 2AM and then sleeping until noon. Schools back in so now we are back on a schedule and I am having trouble staying awake.

Gemma likes this.
  8. NightWatcher91

NightWatcher91 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2014
    Hello all! How goes it today?

9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I am freezing. It is 12 degrees F. but the windchill brings it to ZERO degrees. Which compared to last winter is mild. Last winter got me a trip to Florida. When the temperature hit -30 degrees we decided to do spring break at Disneyworld.

I really hate the cold.

Chyntuck likes this.
  10. NightWatcher91

Jun 7, 2014
    Ugh not a fan of the cold myself. Especially those degrees.....best of luck to you to stay warm.

11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I have no idea what a good night's sleep is like. And I've also accidentally overdosed on sleep medicine by forgetting I took any. The only side-effect other than the sleeping pill hangover in the morning I've noticed was just some really weird dreams.

For my insomnia, I drink this stuff called neuro SLEEP. Works great, though I end up with some really vivid and weird dreams. I think the last one involved a psychic showdown, and then I cut up a demon lady with a chainsaw. Weird... and icky.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  12. thedarkbeckons

thedarkbeckons Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2013
    Are your speeders having trouble adapting to the cold? I'd recommend tauntauns, but they'd probably freeze before you reached the first mailbox. :D

NightWatcher91 Just realized I forgot to give you a welcome in my last post! I was tired last night and didn't check back through all the day's posts because I'm lame. :) I'm also fairly new 'round these parts, so its nice to have someone in my general boat. Do you have any fics up yet?

TrakNar sorry to hear that! As a college student, I feel your pain...although my problem is more lack of sleep, not the quality of it. What are the ingredients in your sleeping mixture? If it includes calea zacatechichi, silene capensis, mugwort, galantamine or choline that's probably the cause. Those kinds of supplements are usually used by lucid dreamers to intensify their experiences.

13. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    thedarkbeckons likes this.
  14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Magnesium and melatonin, last I checked. I used to take mugwort and St, John's wort, and that gave me pretty vivid dreams.

thedarkbeckons likes this.
  15. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014

I think it might also be a region thing: I live in a very liberal area of the country and have never been discriminated against for being an atheist, even when I went to a religious high-school. Similar with feminism and asexuality-spectrum stuff - though having gone to an all-girls high-school and a hippie liberal-arts college, feminism's been practically a requirement, and being ace hasn't (so far) attracted any negative attention.

I agree it's never gonna change, but giving people an outlet isn't always the best thing. Still, yeah, there's a lot worse out there... :p

Ewok Poet likes this.
  16. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    skygawker That's an interesting article, but sites only a few sources (I inherently distrust any sort of self-appointed morality organization anyway), and I have to wonder about MIM's true agenda if they're looking to get prosecutions for what are, essentially, completely legal things based on what amounts to "the feelies."

NightWatcher91 likes this.
  17. NightWatcher91

Jun 7, 2014
    thedarkbeckons Thanks for the welcome! As of right now no stories up for me. I'm sort of just working on a story about some X-wing pilots.

Gemma and thedarkbeckons like this.
  18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    *Goes to watch an episode of Atop the Fourth Wall.*

*Has to sit through an ad about removing tough blood stains with OxyClean.*

Not sure if skip, or watch for supervillain fiction research...

Also not sure if I should take notes and add it to my Forensics book...

Still... ._.

Goodwood likes this.
  19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Did OxyClean really talk about getting out tough blood stains, TrakNar? Who is their target audience for that commercial? Serial killers, hemophiliacs, or slaughterhouse workers?

20. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014

Yeah, I would definitely not be for actually prosecuting that sort of thing, but I think it's an interesting thing to be aware of. Though you're right that the source is possibly biased - I picked that article while trying to Google for something I'd read before, but that isn't the exact same one.

Okay, I was actually thinking of this one and this one, which are slightly more credible sources.

...anyways. Should probably get back to work on fic-writing, I haven't gotten anything done in over a week. I really need sit down and figure out a detailed timeline for the next arc.

Women? :p

Findswoman and Goodwood like this.
  21. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I'd hazard to say none of those. There are the incidental types of blood spillage, ya know.

22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    They were talking about blood stains from "cuts and scrapes" and then show a large dried blood splotch on a white dress shirt.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  23. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Lucky!

Ironically, people at our local hippie liberal-arts college would most likely go for whatever gets them into as many bacchanalia as possible, so they would see feminism as a challenge to their ethics or use only some points, on case-per-case basis. :(

Not sure about single-sex colleges, as somebody in continental Europe and away from western Christianity and its core concepts which more or less all have a root in Catholicism, I find that...strange, to say the least. While childhood and teenagehood can be hell, I think more experience can be gained in mixed environments.

As for the second thing you posted, I wonder why such an obvious thing isn't common knowledge yet. I remember somehow ending up on XOJane and reading an article mentioning choking. In bed. And then it turned out there was at least half a dozen articles praising it. Just...eeek. Some things have to be wrong even among people who believe they're consenting adults, as you never know what might happen.

While I'm very sorry for him, I'm...even more sorry for you. How does he stop and after how long? O_O

Seeing how most got done, I have to be annoying and ask about 8. I have a feeling you're yet to tackle that one, am I right? :p

10 is not working well today...not at all. And it goes hand in hand with 9 most of the time.

An umlaut above any kind of a consonant is wrong and whoever made that doesn't understand the basics of...well, any European language.

Funny enough, you made at least five typos and other errors here. Therefore, it's CONTAGIOUS. That umlaut was there to lure you into the seventh circle of ty0ps nd wrod worng orderr. :eek::eek::eek: NOW IT'S GOTT ME TO.

jcgoble3 and Chyntuck like this.
  24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Wilson College around here used to be a women's college. It's not anymore, but it still has a far higher percentage of female students as opposed to male.

I grew up in and around Gettysburg College, went to a state university, a community college, and a tech school, so I've seen a nice variety of students. The tech school attracted more fresh-from-high-school students, so my psychology class had a few nimrods that the teacher had no control over (it was a terrible class with a terrible teacher. I knew more about the subject, served as an unofficial tutor, and could teach the class far better, it was that much of a mess). In terms of college environment, I prefer the atmosphere of community or state college. It's much more varied, and most of the students were far more mature.

Growing up around Gettysburg College, primarily in the theater department, exposed me to a lot of different orientations and gender identities at a young age, and it helped greatly with me figuring out my own. I'm still heavily closeted, and my family isn't the most supportive, but at least I can attach a name to all the strange feelings I've dealt with growing up.

Anywho, I should some day finish off my degree... But, alas, college is 3expensive5me.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Whenever I'm reading about people older than expected age struggling with gender identity, I get shivers. I would assume that people see that as strange the same way they see people who are openly ace like me after the age of, say, 25-30...?

At the same time, I see all these teens around who literally toy with the terms and think they're being edgy. While I'm not saying that some of them aren't really experiencing dysphoria, the loudest may as well be deliberately eccentric. :(

Either way, you have my support, if that means anything?!

I was in a typical settings where girls eventually care only about being cute and somebody's girlfriends and boys only care about getting away with not studying, being violent and whatnot; so even with being cis, I went through hell and back before I realised that things that repulse me have nothing to do with supposedly being prude or whatever, rather what I really am like.

And ditto about the degree, however, because of a different thing:
    - I'm terrified of how I would get along with people born in, what, 1995 or later.
    - The way it's done around here, you have to be at the lectures, there's no online programme and whatnot.

P.S. I love it when somebody uses the word "nimrod" in this context. :D Reminds me of Daffy Duck.

TrakNar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.