main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Were Hayden and Natalie too attractive?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by mynameismyown, Aug 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the-super-truth

the-super-truth Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2005
    While they did have a small bond during TPM, it seems to me most of PADME's love for Anankin was mearly due to how much compassion he showed her. In the scenes they had together he was really nice, and they seemed to be getting along. She just seemed to have jumped into the whole secret thing (maybe she found kinky or just added to the taboo of it) and hell he was one fast learning Jedi. They seemed like to hot headed youngins getting at it. ANAKIN was really lusting and love in way too. I mean the guys was dreaming of her for 10 years. He literally wanted her the day he saw her. He would have killed for her - uh, duh, the entire Jedi Massacre was not only for his greed of power, but also his need to save her.
    Too attractive???? No one remember TROY? The REAL story. Helen and (i forgot who bloom played in the movie) were in major love - being the two most gorgeous people in the world. The movie didn't portray it that way, but that was wat it was supposed to be. Same deal with Anakin and Padme.

2. Toughie

Toughie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    I think Christensen and Portman did have good chemistry, it's just some of the dialogue kept us from seeing it. How do they NOT have chemistry? You see two of them together in a scene, and it fits. I believed they were married and in love so I guess that's just enough for me. You can't change that for someone else though. You either see it or you dont.

3. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    It may have been the cheesy lines more than anything else, but I for one didn't find Nat's delivery convincing. Yet there's no doubt that they have plenty of chemistry in pictures taken off set, posed or not.

These aren't meant to turn this thread into another droolfest, just to demonstrate what I mean:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/miscmen/natvhayden.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/miscmen/haynat.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/miscmen/christensennat.jpg]

Candid shot from the Cannes premiere of ROTS:
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/miscmen/cannesswprem41.gif]

4. anakin_skywalker_02

anakin_skywalker_02 Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2005
    arwen_sith, I totally agree with you! Hayden and Natalie look really really good together. Sort of like a golden couple. I love those scenes with the 2 of them together. They just look so perfect together and that in my opinion, helps to make the PT all the more tragic. They are the Romeo and Juliet of Star Wars.

That said, I can't deny their dialogue is clunky and cringe worthy at times. I think the reason why the audience can't feel much for them is because of the bad dialogue and editing ( AOTC was terribly edited IMO)

5. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005

Thats completely your opinion. I thought George was just trying to make it look natural. It's not like married couples plan out every little thing they're going to say to each other. They just say how they feel. And Anakin and Padme were saying how they feel. It was also foreshadowing..."So love has blinded you?" Yes, it eventually does. If you want to find out more about this topic, there's a whole thread about this very scene in the Revenge of the Sith Forum.

I disagree. I think George meant for them to truly love each other. But it just didnt work out that way. If he had shown more reason as to WHY they love each other, this plot would of been perfect. It does SEEM like all they feel for each other is infatuation And as I have said before, Natalie did a HORRIBLE job pronoucing her love for Anakin. I seriously thought that Padme was fooling Anakin. But I doubt George was aiming for that. Why would he? The whole story wouldn't of made sense.

As for them not having chemistry. I disagree with you on that as well. I thought they looked perfect with each other. Everytime they were on screen, they just clicked. They seemed comfortable with each other as Hayden and Natalie, AND as Padme and Anakin.

And going a little of topic...did they really date? Because I heard a rumor but I thought that was just magazines being magazines and telling people about affairs to get them all excited.

Also, I agree. Hayden looks nothing like Mark, and Natalie looks nothing like Carrie. But that isn't a big deal.

6. Arwen Sith

May 30, 2005
    Obviously one can't be sure without asking the people involved, but I heard some rumors about paparazzi photos of them making out on a beach not long after AOTC wrapped. I haven't seen the pix myself, though, so I could be wrong.

They might have chemistry on screen without the lame dialog. It wasn't just the words, but the way they were delivered, especially by Nat, that really sounded false to my ears.

7. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    Yes, especially by Natalie. IMO, Hayden did an EXCELLENT job delivering those lines by the fire-side. If you read the script, you might consider those lines to be corny, ["The thought of not being with-I can't breathe"] but Hayden did GREAT!

8. Arwen Sith

May 30, 2005
    Yeah, and at least he wasn't whiny in that scene. ;) As has been stated before by me and by others, he played whiny in AOTC because that's what GL wanted. And to be fair, I had eyes for Ewan only in AOTC, as Hayden looked so young I felt like I was robbing the cradle drooling after him. Thank goodness he grew up in time for ROTS!

9. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] He looked like a whole different person in ROTS. As I have said before, Anakin looks much better evil ;) [face_love]

10. Lyvia

Lyvia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    The line I hated the most is "I wish I could just wish my feelings away":oops: Good gawd that was bad

11. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    I just find Hayden to be a bit on the young side for my tastes. ;)

12. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    why does there have to be a reason they love each other than they are attracted to each other, stop comparing it to han and leia!

13. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I think Hayden Christain is a Good Actor and I like how he acts like Vader without the suit and I love the way he talks when he is being senstive and Navie. Thats so Vader. Natalie Portman is a Hottie. I like Padmes charactor.

Laugh at Me if you want but I actullay fell in love with Padme, not the Actress. I fell in love with a Fansty Charctor. That proobly the Nerdist I will Ever get in life. It is the Truth.

14. dee_dee24m

dee_dee24m Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2003
    I'm quite shocked that somebody on page One (i joined late, what can i say?) has made the equation that Good-Looking People = Bad Actors, and to then lump Hayden and Nat in with them!!

Purely on looks alone, they are pretty people, but it doesn't detract from their roles. It's not as if Anakin, as a Jedi, needed to rely on his looks for anything, and Padme was a skilled and popular diplomat. If anything their looks are 'merely' a bonus.

15. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005

But Jinn is not old at all...:_| Even if you are a lot older than Anakin...you can't possibly have him FOURTH on your list...oh what has the world come to ;) :_| [face_shame_on_you]

Join the club...I ONLY fall in love with characters...ANAKIN for one, I absolutely HATED Hayden, and would be close to vomit when I saw him, but I've gotten over it...LOL same goes with CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW, I hated Johnny Depp, but was truly, and deeply in love with Jack [face_love]
    I thought I was the only person in the world that felt that way...

16. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    The weirdest thing about Hayden and Natalie is that if you catch them in still shots and photo shoots, they seem to have this great physical chemistry, one that I'm sure was the source of alot of dating rumors around AOTC. It just amazes me how little of that visual chemistry translates to on-screen. o_0 I think they're good actors, and sometimes they really nail scenes together, but other times they just completely fail to click. Maybe it's the dialogue, directing, just them...? (Keep in mind, you're talking to somebody who's favorite film is AOTC, before you start labeling me a basher. :p)

I never found Hayden and Natalie overly attractive. Let's be frank. As much as there ugly and average people in the world, there are also beautiful ones. And in general, beautiful people tend to be attracted to each other. It's not shallow, really, it's just the way things are. Physical attraction is a key factor in any relationship, why not SW? You really think Harrison Ford was cast and then given a womanizing character because he was ugly? That Carrie Fisher was stripped down to her skivvies in ROTJ for tanning purposes? That Mark Hamill put on all that extra muscle and ran around in a sweaty tank top for the majority of ESB with no ulterior purpose? Hayden, Ewan, and Natalie were picked as much for their looks, as well as their talent, as much as the original cast was. It's not really fair to finger the PT for doing that when the OT was just as guilty. PT

17. Keyan_Farlander

Keyan_Farlander Jedi Master star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    Absolutely.

The thing is, though, I don't see how either one of them is really THAT good looking. I know everyone drools over Natalie Portman, and I'm not saying she's ugly, but I don't really think she's anything special. And Hayden, well, what makes a man good looking has long since escaped me, but he seems rather scrawny to me, which I would think wouldn't be a good thing. It seems tall and scrawny is the in look for guys these days, though.

18. mynameismyown

Jun 7, 2005
    i think what we're mainly talking about is their faces and not necessarily their bodies

19. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Newsflash!
    Although there are a few exceptions (Johnny Depp, Sandra Bullock, etc.), good looking people = bad actors.
    But sadly, the buisness is now filled with untalented 'pretty' people. From Orlando Bloom to the Olsen twins.

Sadly, Hayden and Natalie were pretty much hired based totally on looks. Lucas now does things like this.

I think Hayden and Natalie's looks kinda ruined the love story plot (as did their hammy acting and some of the writing), I couldn't feel sympathy or anything for either of them. It seemed much more of a shallow relationship than the movies intended.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely.

The thing is, though, I don't see how either one of them is really THAT good looking. I know everyone drools over Natalie Portman, and I'm not saying she's ugly, but I don't really think she's anything special. And Hayden, well, what makes a man good looking has long since escaped me, but he seems rather scrawny to me, which I would think wouldn't be a good thing. It seems tall and scrawny is the in look for guys these days, though.

You obviously haven't seen ROTS. And if you have, than you must of looked down into your popcorn bucket when Mr. Hunk had his shirt off [face_love] ;)

And what Vagrant66 posted is quite astonishing. What a irrational and self-opinionated comment. That statement must of been from the top of your head, because you were obviously just thinking about Orlando Bloom and the Olsen twins [who I agree are bad actors]. What about Julia Roberts? Is she not attractive? I think she is a great actress. Ewan McGregor, he's absolutely exceptional. I completely disagree with you. COMPLETELY!!!!!!!

20. mynameismyown

Jun 7, 2005
    i think julia roberts and ewan mcgregor have CHARISMA as well which is why they are considered good actors, not just looks

21. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    So do you think that statement is true?

22. Lyvia

Jun 2, 2005
    Julia Roberts isnt beautiful IMO, and Hayden was still pretty skinny in ROTS. Nowhere near Luke's muscles in ESB; but brotha was still fine. Hey I thought he was fine when he was in "Life as a House". I think Hayden and Nat didnt have chemistry and didnt make me beleive that they were really in love. I do think they were only chosen for their looks.

23. Toughie

Jun 9, 2005
    I don't.

24. Lyvia

Jun 2, 2005
    Well its a good think I didnt ask you huh

25. Toughie

Jun 9, 2005
    No, no you didn't.. but the original poster did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.