main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Were you ever at all surprised?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AmidalaLover, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well since we didn't really know anything but the barest of elements yes.

Since some 60% or more of the story was in ROTS while TPM and AOTC were Lucas having first the prologue for the series (I) and then the prelude to the proper start of the Star Wars (II) with the opening of the Clone Wars.

That the Clones would be on the side of the good guys vs a droid army is nothing anyone could have seen coming among so many things.

Just by the nature of the way the stories work TPM was full of surprises while TFA was largely along the lines of what one would expect it to be.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    No, it didn't. Palpatine was written as a senator turned president turned emperor. His being able to use the Force was decided upon in 1977, after ANH came out and confirmed on screen in TESB. The name Palpatine did originate with the novelization's intro, which was written by Lucas and not Foster. The idea of him being Darth Sidious did not originate until the 90's when Lucas began plotting out the PT and decided that Palpatine should be a Sith Lord and that he had a Sith name.

3. Colwyn Ren

Colwyn Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    Again... Tomato, tomato. If they weren't one and the same in my mind and I had remembered to write "Emperor" instead of "Sideous" in that post, you wouldn't be nitpicking my syntrax,

jaqen likes this.
  4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I'm not nitpicking. I'm making a point that such a revelation wasn't revealed in 76, since there wasn't really one to make.

5. Colwyn Ren

Sep 16, 2015
    *facepalm*

6. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    None of the major plot points, obviously, being a prequel and all. But there were surprises:

- That the Force had biological roots.
    - The rule of 2
    - That the clone wars referred to troopers, troopers that once fought along side the noble Jedi
    - Order 66.
    - The existence of Qui-Gon. Like everyone, I assumed he was a direct apprentice to Yoda only.
    - The idea that Anakin's turn was based off his great capacity to love and protect, and him having good intentions for going dark.
    - The Machiavellian tactics Palpatine used to turn an ancient Republic into a new Empire, and in such a short time period. Perhaps the most well executed PT plot.
    - Boba Fett being a clone and basically brother to the original stormtroopers.
    - 3PO being created by Darth Vader.

Shaak Ti and AmidalaLover like this.
  7. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    What did people think the Clone Wars was about?

8. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    The absolute latest that anyone could have been surprised about Sidious' identity would be late '99 or early '00; basically, whenever that VHS came out. It says very clearly that Palpatine=Sidious.[​IMG]

ObiWanKnowsMe and AmidalaLover like this.
  9. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I remember everyone cheering when Cap.Panaka read R2's name! Great introduction all though I think everyone knew it had to be him

jaqen and Lulu Mars like this.
  10. _ThatJediScum_

_ThatJediScum_ Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2005
    The only thing I remember being surprised about was that Vader(Anakin) and Luke's mother (Padme) were married. I was stunned. Jedi didn't get married, so of course Vader would not have been married. And Yoda picking up a lightsaber.

But I was shocked at how Darth Maul died, I was shocked at Dooku being beheaded, and I was shocked at Vader killing the younglings.

bran

11. Colwyn Ren

Sep 16, 2015
    I'm sure someone out there is getting ready to readjust their monocle, take a sip of tea, and point out the the word Sidious isn't used in this image. :rolleyes:

12. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    You know, I have never actually read the back descriptions of any of the Saga. I guess, since I already knew what the movies were about, I never felt the need to. [face_dunno]

13. jimmycrank

jimmycrank Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I was Surprised we didn't see Anakin off more of the Jedi Council himself. That would have been good, just to show how powerful he really was in Comparison to them.