main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I love that book. I would love to see a big full on adaptation of it (movie? or maybe TV?) with Emily Blunt as Lanoree Brock.

2. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Yeah it would be great to see a movie of it. Emily Blunt would be good as Lanoree.

3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

They could have an alternate title: Sword of the Jed'aii (since they basically used swords).

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Maestro was like other Drizzt books, good and fun but drow politics are convoluted info dumps.

Picked up Skyborn by David Dalglish. I initially skipped this in stores but saw the lovely cover art of its sequel so i decided to give it a go.

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Emily Blunt would be great in anything SW period.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  6. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Last of the Jedi 2: Dark Warning by Jude Watson

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    And Then There Were None (1943) – Agatha Christie

My ten little soldier boys. You’re the last one. One little soldier boy left all alone. He went & hanged himself. I must have my hanging – my hanging.

Spent a lot of time with this script by virtue of being in a recent staging of the play. I prefer the original novel, which is bleaker and a lot more psychologically complicated. The novel is perhaps Christie’s masterpiece and this play has to change the ending completely in order to create a more upbeat experience. Christie herself changed the ending at least, so it’s not a case of some other writer coming in and butchering the novel. Christie said that a play needed a less morally complicated ending; whether she’s right in the aggregate or not, it works fine here. I’ll always prefer the novel, but this tale of ten strangers marooned on an island and being slowly murdered by an unknown culprit holds up even with a more crowd-pleasing tone. It’s a great show. 4 stars.

tl;dr – adaptation of classic mystery novel doesn’t have the novel’s courage of conviction, but even in a more upbeat version, this iconic mystery story holds up. 4 stars.

More Book Reviews!

8. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I read that twice in my middle school days. Great work.

Rogue1-and-a-half, why do I keep thinking this story you described was known as Ten Little Indians? Did she rename it?

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    @VLM, weird, I just ordered Skyborn from amazon this week, don't have it yet...

10. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    It has been published under various titles. The original title (and nursery rhyme) was "Ten Little ****" (the N-word) but that was already perceived as a racial slur in the US at the time, so the title was changed for the US edition, and later again for the UK edition. Some editions/versions were titled "Ten Little Soldiers" as well at some point.

Rogue1-and-a-half and ShaneP like this.
  11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

That's funny because I had to order it to get it...

12. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett, grandfather of the hard boiled detective novel.

Would make a hell of a movie (and/or modern remake if it was done back in the day).

I love finishing a book, or a comic, on Friday .

soitscometothis and Havac like this.
  13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, it was pretty good.

Both times, even.

Rogue1-and-a-half and ShaneP like this.
  14. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Awesome. Tanks for the tip off.

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I have read it.

The "conspiratorial" bits I was referring to were the author's insistence that the ethnic cleansing in question was directed toward Catholic minorities having their neighborhoods stripmined by a collaborative Protestant/Jewish agenda; the depths of which began to strain credulity. Since my neighborhood happened to be of the Irish Catholic immigrant variety, and was successfully eradicated, I have spent the vast majority of my life being educated on how and why and some of the more extreme points in the book simply cannot correlate with the development schemes which were utilized to level our neighborhood.

16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Ahh ok. Yeah unless there is any primary documentation pointing out these occurrences then it's just the author "filling in the gaps" in his narrative. It happens but creativity and historical imagination does have limits.

17. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Empire and Rebellion: Razor's Edge

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Blockbusters and redlining will always be a subject obscenely close to my heart. My family were the very last to abandon the entire 6000 block and this after we ended up in the US due to the Troubles in Ireland; which probably accounts for our high tolerance for the escalating situation. When my family settled there, it was during the twilight of a thriving, active (lower tier) middle class community. My former house went up for sale, again, within the past 5 years: 3 bedroom rowhome with a playground at the end of one block, public transportation literally stops in front of the house and access to multiple schools. Price? $18,000. [face_plain]

ShaneP likes this.
  19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, I don't mind the Ten Little Indians title; that's what the book was titled when I first read it, so my mind automatically goes there. But Indians isn't really a slur, like the n-word or the r-word for Natives. But ultimately And Then There Were None is really the best title; more atmospheric and poetic.

Third time? Not so hot.

It is set in the 1920s, so it's the closest to actual setting of the novel, though the location is changed. But not even Christopher Walken as a machine-gun toting psycho could save this one.

Chyntuck and ShaneP like this.
  20. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Yeah. A film with the same setting as the book is what I originally meant.

Too bad, I'm taking your word on that one.

21. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Just purchased "The Girl on the Train" which is coming out soon as a movie starring...Emily Blunt lol.

22. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004

It's going to be a movie?? :confused:I have no clue how that'll come out. I mean, I guess I can see it, but the book was good in jumping between scenes.
    The book was good in general. I can't imagine watching it on screen though.

23. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Yea, I saw the trailer and it piqued my interest so I decided to read the book before I go see it.

SWpants likes this.
  24. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Diverging Roads by Rose Wilder Lane

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    A straight adaptation of Red Harvest has been my dream since I read it. It's a very cinematic story, it's inspired many films, but it somehow hasn't gotten a direct adaptation itself. And that's outrageous.

Kiki-Gonn likes this.