main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What Changes Would YOU Have Made?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by tsunami1138, Nov 27, 2012.

1. tsunami1138

tsunami1138 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    Apologies if this thread has been around before.

With all the furore surrounding Lucas's changes to the Saga in the Blu-Ray release, I always thought there were certain things that he perhaps could/should have changed, and didn't.

For example (and all in ANH), the colouring of Luke's saber. It doesn't match the colouring in RotS, nor in TESB. Why not digi the thing to make it a bit more blue?

The music. A slight heresy, I realise, because there's nothing wrong with the music. But if Lucas's idea is to watch the episodes from 1 to 6, then the music in ANH should surely have been updated to include things like The Imperial March, among others, thereby maintaining musical continuity in the saga. Of course, if you watch the episodes from 4 to 3, like I do and my children will, then this makes little difference...

And finally..."I know some manoeuvres." And then he drifts lazily to the left, as Family Guy so eloquently put it. Would it have been so difficult to add in a little pirouette or something?

Any others?

2. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I would have tried to work Yoda and Palpatine into ANH. Perhaps by having a brief scene on Dagobah just after Obi-Wan has been cut down by Vader, and his ghost appears to Yoda. As for the Emperor, I'd try and add one or two scenes on the Death Star where personnel watch a hologram of him making a public speech about the danger of the Rebellion, or something.

Order66Survivor and Corran1138 like this.
  3. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I would have only made technical improvements to the originals, removing matt lines, improving colours and so forth. The light sabers are still not right in a lot of places, nothing irritates me more than when Vaders saber looks pink on screen. It was terrible in the original DVD releases, it's better in the Blu Ray, but it's still not right.

4. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Definitely the lightsabers. I still don't know why they "couldn't" be made to look a little bit more consistent.

5. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    On the technical side, the only change I'd make is in the scene where Tarkin and Vader discover Leia lied to them about Dantooine. After Vader says, "I told you she'd never consiously betray the Rebellion", there's a shot of Vader gesturing towards Tarkin, but nothing is heard. It's as though there was a line there that was cut, and it looks awkward. It'd cut that couple of seconds out.

On the story side, I'd give Lando a bigger part in ROTJ, and restore Han shooting first.

Beyond that, I'd leave it alone.

6. Star Wars age 9

Star Wars age 9 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 29, 2012
    Take out ALL of the SE additions;
    Han shoots - Greedo doesn't;
    fix technical issues, such as the matte lines and back projection lighting like when Vader spins out of conrol at the end;
    try to better sync Dave Prowse's gestures to the voice-over... end of.

Otherwise: perfect.

7. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    adywans Star Wars revisted was pretty cool, I'd like to see some more things like that. I'd have Han shoot first and fix the lightsabers. The only major change I'd do is the cantina sequence, the creatures just look to fake and silly.

8. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    At the end of ROTJ during the final victory celebration I noticed that Luke's lightsaber is hanging down by a lanyard swinging in the air rather than being attached to a belt. In other words it looks unprofessional to the point of looking goofy. I dont know why that bothers me, but it does.

9. Jedi Chloe

Jedi Chloe Jedi Knight

Dec 5, 2012
    The OT is perfect IMO...yea, they have there blemishes here and there, but these are the movies we (oldies) grew up with and at THAT time, were AHEAD of their time!! I do wish the lightsaber battles between Luke and Vader were as awesome as the ones in PT, but heck....whatcha gonna do?

10. Corran1138

Corran1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2012
    I think Adywan's Star Wars Revisited is basically the perfect edit of Episode IV. That being said, I wouldn't mind an added scene where Palpatine appears in some capacity, and the same goes for Yoda. Watching the films in order is somewhat disjointed because of the lack of these two major characters in this one film. I would also be happy if there were some way to make the Obi-Wan/ Vader duel a little better.

As for Empire and Jedi, I really don't mind the Special Editions. Just take out that terrible CGI and music in Jabba's palace. Other than that, I'm ok with the changes. I actually prefer Hayden in RoTJ, for the sake of the continuity of the saga. It is much more powerful with Hayden when watching the films together.

I also think it would be neat if there was a way to have Obi Wan say "Was I any different when Qui Gonn trained me?" in ESB when talking to Yoda.

As you can tell, I'm a fan of the entire saga, and I like having continuity between all six films.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  11. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    1. Go back to Han shoots first.
    2. I agree, fix the lightsaber colors.
    3. Put back the original song in Jedi and take out that Jedi Rocks nonsense.
    4. Show more scenes with Rebels in Jedi fighting on Endor (to take the main focus off of the Ewoks)
    5. Give Boba back his original voice. Much more menacing than the overdub.

12. King Terak

King Terak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2012
    Take those rocks out of EP IV.
    Dialogue between Yoda and Luke changed, to better fit in the PT.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Okay. I've tried, and tried, and tried..

And there isn't a damn thing. I seriously can't think of anything that would honestly serve to improve the story these films tell.

Star Wars age 9 likes this.
  14. Attariel

Attariel Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    I would have fixed the color in the light sabers and maybe tried to rev up the fighting to match the skill and complexity of 1-3 but only for Vader really, then for Luke after he trains with Yoda but not before.

15. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    in all honesty I think adding Jabba into ANH was a mistake,

especially standing on the tail bit..

would Jabba really have allowed that in ROTJ?

Grand_Moff_Jawa likes this.
  16. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I would have kept the changes purely technical. That is, sound and colour enhancements along with some subtle use of CGI to make the background a little richer (such as Cloud City). The changes i'd avoid are those which do too much to change the feel, tone or tension of the scene such as Darth Vader's "nooooo" in Return Of The Jedi where the emotion of his dilemma was effectively conveyed without a facial expression or utterance of any kind. I'd also keep all of the original music such as Jaba's Lair.

17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The only thing I would have changed about the movies would've required completing re-filming the scene in ROTJ where Luke tells Leia she is his sister so obviously that's not possible. I have always thought she should have denied it and gotten upset with Luke. They should've left on bad terms and then reconciled at the end when Leia felt that Luke made it out of the DS2 safely (showing that she had accepted the truth). Other than that I got nothing.

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Minor cosmetic changes and fix some continuity errors.

19. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I was always pretty damn happy with the OOT, but I'm not against certain 'fixes.' Things like matte lines, little boxes around the TIE fighters in space, yeah, please, spiffy these things up when and where you can. I'm also not against updating display panels and other FX where appropriate.

The only major change I'd still really like to see done is a complete redo of every moment we see an ignited lightsaber on the screen in the OT. Update the blades and the light-clashing effects to match the PT, please. And if the ST makes lightsabers even better by pushing the envelope further still, then redo the PT blades, as well. Now, I understand the resources involved in taking this on makes it entirely unlikely to ever be realized, but I sure would love to see consistency throughout in this matter, if nowhere else.

20. Star Wars age 9

Star Wars age 9 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 29, 2012
    I saw the new CGI shot of the Falcon approach and land on Cloud city in the SE recently and it looked terrible. Laughably unrealistic.
    What a distraction.

21. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Adwyn pretty much got ANH perfect. His extensive list of changes + get rid of the Carrie's foot while waiting for her cue on the set of the Tantive IV are the same changes I would make. In fact, I don't know if he's done yet, but a copy of that edit would pretty much be the movie considered canon in my home with no more need to keep looking. I would leave Mark yelling "Carrie" in at the end, though, just for old time's sake.