main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What if Palpatine became a Jedi instead?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by BriXman, Jan 11, 2016.

1. BriXman

BriXman Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2015
    Another weird question from me that likely has no good answer.

Palpatine was as we all know the senator from Naboo in TPM, and then he had been a Sith for very long. What if he never became a sith? What if he turned to the Jedi Order instead?

If anyone knows about Palpatines sith origins here, that would help. Like, how he ended up as Darth Plageius' (or however you spell it) apprentice. If it would have been possible to turn him to the light side instead.

My comment on this would be that there certainly doesn't seem to be much Jedi activity on Naboo, which is strange. A peaceful planet, away from all war and alike. Likely a lot of force sensitive people there.

2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    [​IMG]

Of course this is considered "legends" now, so you don't have to accept it as canon.

3. beatbox

beatbox Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 16, 2015
    I still consider it Canon until contradicted. Great book

4. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Being chosen as a Jedi is much more than just being 'force sensitive', it requires a council member judging you have the mentality to be a Jedi, such as selflessness. Palpatine would probably never have been considered due to his strong will and his display of sadistic tendencies from a young age. If this was all somehow ignored, then I imagine Palpatine would become the strongest Jedi known, then eventually following his true path and falling to the dark side of the force. ;)

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If they'd managed to nab him as an infant or very young toddler - those traits would have been much less apparent.

6. DaveyWanKenobi

DaveyWanKenobi Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 4, 2015
    Even if Palpatine became a Jedi, and history itself was changed.......I somehow get the feeling Anakin would have still ended up chopping younglings into bacon bits for some reason or another. It's just destiny.

7. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    If Palpatine never becomes a Sith it's likely Darth Plagueis and Vader as the Sith in the OT since it was Sidious (as a Sith apprentice) who killed Plagueis.

8. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    This is a surprisingly interesting topic!
    It could make for a brilliant fan fic.

9. BriXman

BriXman Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2015
    As Iron_Lord said, if he was grabbed at a young age (toddler practically), he likely would be a Jedi. However as said Naboo doesn't seem to have much Jedi activity, so the chance of discovery is not very likely.

10. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Not necessarily, it brings us on to the argument of whether you're born evil or whether you're made evil. Palpatine was from a respectable, aristocratic family and still began a steady fall to the dark side in early life.

I do wonder how things could've been different if the Jedi got to him early on.

11. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    It's possible that he would've hooked up with Dooku...

12. Darth Dobrolous

Darth Dobrolous Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 7, 2016
    Was Palpatine destined to be evil by the Force?

13. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Well, going by Plagueis then Palpatine was pretty much a sociopath from birth. He wouldn't necessarily have been outright evil without prompting but he wouldn't be able to understand the proper Jedi selflessness and unattachment principles and probably washed out or stuck it out without ever reaching his full potential.