main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Det, MI What kind of Star Wars fan are you?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by MSWCC, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MSWCC

MSWCC Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2008
    I know we had the "get to know" massive list of questions but none answered this one. What kind of Star Wars fan are you?

Do you collect things? What kind?

Are you a trooper or costumer?

Do you just love the movies?

What is your connection to the galaxy far far away?

I love the movies (ok EPI has some issues but...) They are by far my favorite movies of all time.

I'm am also a collector. My collection is mostly the 3 3/4" figures. I have a few from the early days (70s-80s) most from 95 on. I recently changed from collecting all figures/characters to collecting armored figures (troopers, Vader, Fett, etc.) and Droids. I also still pick up Bounty Hunters and Pilots now and then. I have a few of the 12" figures, mostly Bounty Hunters. I also collect the books. I've tried to get hardcover versions of all of them but it's hard. I know some don't even come out as hardcover. I enjoy reading them too (well most of them, there are a couple that suck). At one point I started picking up the obscure things like the Pizza Hut colloring box (it's the box the pizza came in with different characters on it to color) I got a clean box (no pizza hit this one.) I also got some of the tooth brushes, or the happy meal box from taco bell, all the stupid taco bell toys (since getting them many have been tossed. I have a big collection of the traiding cards as well, mostly from the original release of topps trading cards, some newer ones.

I'm not into costuming or trooping yet. I have joined up with the 501st Great Lakes Garrison as an NCS (Non-Costumed Support) member to work the events with them. This will continue until I have time and money to get some stromtrooper armor together (which could take forever). I love that the 501st does everything they do for charity. It is the reason I want to join up with them.

My kids fuel the addiction. The reason my wife has less of an issue with all of this. Yes she loves me and tollerates it, but now that both kids (especially my son, the youngest) loves it. My kids have tons of Star Wars stuff. They love seeing the movies, they love going and seeing the stormtroopers, vader, etc. They are another reason I love the movie, its a common bond for us.

Too much? maybe, but I'd love to see why others are Star Wars fans.

Thanks for reading.

2. CTATigger

CTATigger Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2004
    My Mom took my brother and I to all the Star Wars movies and I have been a fan ever since. When I was in my teens I went to conventions like Media West Con in Lansing to meet up and chat with other fans. I wrote stories, filks and did illustrations for Fanzines (print magazines published by fans based on Star Wars). I was a member of the old Star Wars official fan club and got the Bantha Tracks newsletters. My brother collected all the Star Wars toys and played with them. I remember putting the Ewok Village together for him one Christmas...LOL.
    I collect some Star Wars things...I have most of the 12 inch figures from the 80s. I have some plates. Books. Stuff like that. But I am not a collector like Rob or Jon.
    My husband and I invested in some pretty decent costumes prior to Celebration 3. He costumes as an X-Wing Pilot and I costume as a Jedi. We have not joined the Rebel Legion yet but might do that at some point.
    My nearly 3 year old son has just really discovered Star Wars and has been playing with his lightsaber (he is fascinated with lightsabers) and asking me about Darth Vader and why he is so bad...LOL.
    My husband and I met online and one of the things that really clicked for us was when we started quoting lines from Star Wars back and forth at each other. It's nice to have a mate who really shares your love of these movies:) Hoping to indoctrinate the little one as well...

3. Qonas

Qonas Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2003
    I'm definitely not a collector. I just don't get it, I dunno. However, I will hoard rare stuff like the C3 Vader and I'm definitely big on movie posters. But toys and such, nope.

I dunno if there really is a fan "type" that I fit into. I love the video games, I love the extended universe novels (for the most part ::coughNJO::cough ::coughLEGACY:REVELATION::), I love the original trilogy, I don't like the prequels with the exception of 3. I don't costume, though if I had a good steady income flow I might. Certainly wouldn't be a stormtrooper though, isn't there a joke about their height we're all familiar with? :p So I guess my "type" would be...uh...gamer? Reader? Geadmer?

4. mercsailor

mercsailor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    I love movies. I think I'm just a movie going fiend. And really? these are some great escapist movies.

I collect a little bit, but as of now it's only R2D2 stuff, or X-Wings. Also, I have all but the first six of Marvel's Star Wars Comics. That is something I'm very proud of.

I like the idea of costuming, but I want to do odd things.. So I'm still throwing around the idea of doing Beru Whitesun/Lars.. just don't know, though.. I do have my jug ready for blue milk though ;)

I dunno.. I guess I'm just a fan.

5. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    Since I started out collecting,
    I am now just having fun with what I collected.

Use to play the video games alont, but stopped that when the new ones
    somehow became less interesting.

I costume a little, and travel a little.

I post on line when I can to stay in touch and to meet other fans,
    and to encourage all fans, just to be fans.

Keep on posting MSMCC, go forth and visit others, tho it can be kinda
    intinidating ( I still find it so ),
    the rewards of sharing interests can be found in new friendships.

or

I think they still have "show and tell" as a basic part of most school programs:cool:

Go Detroit!

MT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.