main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What prophecy did kyle katarn fulfill?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by wavrider287, Feb 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wavrider287

wavrider287 Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2002
    I've never really been a kyle katarn fan and i've never read any of the books or comics about him and i was wondering, what prophecy did he fulfill?

2. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    There was a prophecy concerning the Valley of Russaan, where some Jedi spirits were trapped from a battle with the Sith (where Darth Bane emerged as the dominant Sith leader). The prophecy said something like:
    A knight shall come
    a battle shall be fought
    and the spirits shall be set free

I don't remember the exact wording, but it was something to that effect. Anyway, during the game Jedi Knight, and the book from Dark Horse, Kyle went to the valley, defeated Jerek and set the spirits free.

3. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    He freed the trapped souls of the Jedi and sith trapped in the Valley of the Jedi on Ruusan. Victems of the thought bomb

4. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    He also was the reincarnation of Tal a warrior who died in the battle.

5. Corran_Katarn

Corran_Katarn Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2001
    Where did it say that he was a reincarnation of someone?

6. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    It said that tal was Kyle Katarn's alterego, in the novels.

7. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    It's unknown if it was the Force acting or merely a dream Kyle had, or something else altogether:
      The Rebel was unconscious by the time the ship skidded to a halt. The dream, if it was a dream, seemed incredibly real.

The Jedi faded from view, and Kyle became aware that another mind coexisted with his. Though seemingly unware of him, he was aware of it, and all that it contained. There were memories of a youth spent exploring the stars, a passion for women long dead, and a planet frosted with ice and snow. There was a weariness as well, for the mind was very, very old...

...Tal, and his alter-ego, Kyle were still in the process of absorbing that, of understanding it, when the Rebel awoke.
      (Dark Forces: Jedi Knight, pp. 106-110)

8. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I wonder if the planet forested by snow and ice is a refernce to Hoth or Ruussan as it appeared in the game and books prior to Jedi vs Sith.

9. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    I think the probable assumption would be that prior to making the last stand on Ruusan, the Jedi vs Sith fought on an icy, frigid planet where Lord Hoth came into his own.

That planet would later become the planet named after him.

This planet is different from Ruusan, but Tal does indeed mention some snowy planet.

10. virtualoctopus

virtualoctopus Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 2, 2001
    Kyle only fulfills the prophecy if he doesn't turn to the darkside (in the game)>

Belive me, it's tempting......

11. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I hate thinking of Katarn as a "real" star wars character. He hasn't contributed to any "major" events depicted in comics or novels beside the Dark Trooper and Jedi Knight, which are video games any way and oh hell hes just not real...

12. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    You haven't read Essential chronology then, or insider with the NJO jedi count, or history niblits on the jedi outcast website.

He has done alot of things, but most are top secret considering that he does secret missions for the NRI and others. Most of his adventures just can't be told because of his classification level. It's kind of like the wraith squadron, they only have 3 books, but they are just as valid part of the EU as any other characters. Not to mention they are doing stuff, but most of it is classified so you can't hear about it. They have done alot over the years, and we will soon see them again.

So every story is just as valid as anything. Just some characters because of certain security reasons just can't be shown all the time.

13. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I hope he gets hit by 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 thud bugs.

14. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Why do you hate him so much?

Oh, and remember if kyle calls a jedi council meeting with all his jedi kyle katarn is defintily one of the ones in the crowd, :D. But for the most part he's working on strategies for the military at the moment behind the scenes I doubt he will ever see action firt hand in that cushy desk job.

15. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    'Dude,
    Kyle is responsible for making Mara a Jedi Knight - his training of her gave her an extremely valuable insight allowing her to advance as a Jedi in ways not even Luke can accomplish.

Kyle stole the Death Star plans, which directly led to the destruction of the first Death Star in the movie ANH. His role was just as important as Luke, and his mission just as dangerous.

And of course, Kyle ended the greatest threat the galaxy has ever seen - even greater than the Vong. He stopped Jerec from harnessing the power of the Valley of the Jedi. Jerec would've become a god - not the fake Vong god kind of god, but the most-powerful-being-in-the-universe-king-of-god. Kyle stopped him, something no one else could accomplish.

His role in the GFFA is one of the most important roles played by any character.

16. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    We find out from gamer 9 article from what I can surmise that he has sort of become a guardian for the valley of the jedi, which I suspect and rumors I've heard is still a source of great power from the residue of the jedi that died there, while the spirits are gone, the power remains. Kyle still has to defend that in a level it sounds like.

17. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    All SW characters (with few exceptions which I shall later mention), whether they appear in novels, comics, video games, CCGs, or RPGS, are real characters. And those game characters who end up with their own background and novellas/books/comics, are even more so than those given a brief description. The exceptions are those RPG and fan fiction characters created by folks playing the RPGs and writing fan fiction. However, these characters can become real SW characters if they find their way into the official stuff. That is to say, an author who is looking through fan fiction finds a fan created character and they use them in a novel. Or a contest is opened by someone like WoTC to submit your RPG character and if they like that character, they'll add them to the next Gamer or sourcebook, or even to a CCG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.