main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What side was the C.S.A. on during the Galactic Cvil War? Which side are they on now?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Bravo, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    What side was the C.S.A. on during the Galactic Civil War?

Which side are they on now?

This thread will host more then just C.S.A. questions. When I have a question that is not so important to post a new thread on, I will post it here.

2. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2002
    The C.S.A. was then, is now, and forever shall be a neutral player that will only get involved in a conflict if it profits them. It probably played both sides in the Galactic Civil War. In the NJO, I don't think they've really taken a stand as of yet.

3. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Actually,it was officially loyal to the Empire during the rebellion era.

It's neutral nowadays though.Independent.

4. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    No, actually it was a puppet of the empire. CSA and other sources go into this. Palpatine even had a palace in the CSA.

5. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Valientos right. I've seen at least one source which points to Palpatine granting a bunch of corprate bigwigs a charter to run a section of space as they saw fit, but they still had to answer to him. Heck, maybe some of the guys seen on the DSII waiting for an audiance with him in the novelization were CSA officials.

6. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    They were officialy loyal to the Empire. Payed taxes and stuff. In return,the Empire let the CSA run it's territory anyway it liked.

7. jastermereel

jastermereel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 1998
    i thought that one of those RotJ dignitaries was the temp emperor from the X-wing comics...i can't remember his name off the top of my head...but someone here should know...

8. TIEace

TIEace Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2000
    Was that Pestage? As long as I'm here, does anyone think the CSA joining the NR would turn the tide of war any?

9. palpatineson

palpatineson Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2001
  10. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2002
    It certainly wouldn't hurt to have a "disposable" force to throw at the Vong. ;)

11. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    It would put a rather large enemy next to the Vong supply corridor. A pincer movement from the CSA on one side and the Empire on the other would at least slow the Vong down while they wait for more supplies to get through.

12. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Valiento is correct.

The CSA was created by evil, depraved individuals, run by evil, depraved individuals and is allowed only by the grace of Imperial charter.

The CSA joining the NR would be like Al Quaeda joining up with NATO.

But, I suppose if a race of unstoppable sado-masochists came down and promptly began kicking everyone's heiny, including Al Quaeda's, they would think about joining up with NATO. ?[face_plain]

13. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    During the Rebellion Era - with all due respect to both Valiento and Genghis12, who are both continuity masters with few if any peer(s) - I favor Matthew Trias' take/description on the C.S.A.

Although I can see a valid argument for "puppet" - I don't think that's the most appropriate description/characterization. Both Valiento and Genghis12 might be right, I just don't see it that way because I don't see the C.S.A. doing anything affirmative in the name of the Empire. Maybe it's just a semantics thingie!

I would agree that the C.S.A. would do whatever Palpatine demanded/ordered (after all, they're not stupid! Why risk invasion from a superior military might?) However, for the most part, I think the C.S.A. was left on their own to do what they wanted to do within their own territories - including enacting their own laws and enforcing their own laws with their own navy, their own espos, their own penal institutions and their own justice system (with the exception of Imperial Inquisitors fulfilling their respective duties in C.S.A space) - so long as the appropriate $$$'s and rawmats were forwarded to the Empire.

As to an interesting wrinkle that Valiento brings up, I've always wondered what happened to Palpatine's Palace in the C.S.A.? Part of me has always wanted to see High Inquisitor Tremayne usurp that Palace and all its secrets for his own personal gain . . . but then again, Tremayne has always been at the top of my list of suspects for "offing" Grand Inquisitor Torbin - so my interests in having Tremayne grab power "wherever-it-may-be-grabbed" have always been high.

If only WEG had been able to fulfill their planning for a "Lords of the Expanse-type" Corporate Sector Authority multi-supplement campaign. As it turns out, I think we fans ended up with only the vignette published in one of the Star Wars Galaxy Magazines. Another rich area of space we're missing out on. :(

Post-Rebellion Era, I think the Corporate Sector Authority's allegiance is tied to who's willing to forward them the most profit and/or $$$. For example, I think Aaron Allston pointed out ship building contracts with Warlord Zsing depicted in the Wraith Squadron books.

NJO Era is tricky, because without looking again through Jim Luceno's work, I can't remember "why" the Ryn were fleeing C.S.A. - unless it's just persecution and prosecution in general. Presumably, it's in the C.S.A.'s best interests to side with the anti-YV forces/alliance.

14. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    I'd say it all depends on the influence the Tagge family still holds over the CSA.

If NJO CSA is still operating under the influence of the Tagge family (and/or its power circle), then they'd screw everyone to survive - including siding with the Vong, I would think.

15. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    Genghis12,

Re NJO Era - This part I can't reconcile yet.

This is where my thoughts lead. In the long-term, I would think that the heads of the C.S.A. would understand that ultimately, the YV will turn on the C.S.A. ending the C.S.A.'s way of life. So practically speaking, any alliances with the YV, from the C.S.A. POV would have to be a subterfuge and thus, short term stall tactics against YV invasion. Hence, why I feel that anything that the C.S.A. does that appears to favor and/or appease the YV is just surface level.

Note again, however - that Greg Keyes might go a long way (or might not) to reconciling any of our thoughts with Keyes' "Emissaries from the Rim" novella playing out in the pages of the Star Wars Gamer. (It would be nice to see more TaggeCo references in the NJO, hopefully we'll see it happen).

16. Thief

Thief Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 29, 2001
    The DESB says that in the post-Endor era, the Imperial bureaucracy allowed useless prorgrammes to continue because they couldn't streamline the budget. Included in this section is the sentence, "Huge sums continued to be spent on useless projects, like the long delayed palace in the Corporate Sector" [DESB 32].

The Emperor's palace in the Corporate Sector was never completed.

It also says in Chapter Five that "the Corporate Sector Authority, with control of a vast volume of space, is the largest of these neutral states and has been selling weapons to any group with ready cash."

It seems that in the aftermath of the Battle of Endor, the CS repudiated Imperial suzerainty and declared itself independent. This independence lasted at least into the Imperial Risorgimento during the Emperor Reborn's shenanigans and tomfoolery.

Anyhoo, the relationship of the CS to the Empire during the reign of the Emperor was that of laissez faire capitalism -- so long as the CS gave a certain (fairly large) share of its gross profits to the Imperial Exchequer, the CSA was completely free to conduct its own affairs in whatever manner it saw fit.

That is to say, the CS was an extraordinary self-governing body, independent of the Imperial Government and bureaucracy. From what I understand, it was subject to oversight by one of the Emperor's advisors, but that was it. The CSA didn't even pay taxes; it paid tribute, and that was that.

Remember, the CSA bought surplus hardware from the Imperial Navy, in order to outfit its own security forces, like the Security Police (Espos).

Although the CS is currently formally independent and self-governing, free of even the minimal Imperial administration it once had, it probably is still Imperial-sympathetic, as TaggeCo. maintained a strong hand in the CSA power circles, and, with the death of Orman, Baron Tagge, his brother, Imperial High General Ulric Tagge, became simultaneously a high-ranking Imperial Army officer, head of the baronial House of Tagge, and President of the Tagge Company.

17. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    The CSA is independent during the post-ROTJ era. I think they were independent during the Civil War, but allowed Imperials to use their sector because the Empire was a major buyer. Like pleasing investors.

After RotJ, the CSA became more independent and began selling to both sides openly. Relations between the CSA and NR are rocky because of the Authority's labor, slave, and rights abuses.

Thats basically all mentioned in the Essential Chronology, especially the Han Adventures section.

18. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Kansas,
    The CSA was very much a slave to the Empire...
      "The Corporate Sector Authority administers its own self-imposed laws, provides for the protection of colonies and facilities, presides over all intercorporate conflicts and serves as the proxy of the Emperor's will. The Authority has fairly broad latitude in enforcing the Emperor's general directives - however, Direx Board members have no illusions about their own positions. The Corporate Sector Charter is only legally binding as long Palpatine wills that to be the case and avoiding his wrath has always been a top priority." (HSACSASB)
    The CSA is an Imperial entity. It operates solely under the "good" grace of the Empire. The Empire can pull the CSA charter whenever it wishes for whatever reason. While the CSA may have felt that the environment was ripe after Palpatine's fall on the DS2 to change that status - it had a legally binding charter. As the CSA is entirely business-run, they would most likely not simply try to renege on that issue. They had no interest in being a political entity - just an economic one. Could they perhaps have bought out the "Imperial stake" - bought the charter - from them? That may be another possibility.

19. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    Maybe the Vong don't go to the CSA territory because of the space abnormalities there. Figure they go there and there amphistaffs don't work ...

20. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Who is the Tagge family? Are they Imperials?

21. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Bravo...
    "Who is the Tagge family? Are they Imperials?"

The Tagge family is probably the most powerful aristocracy within the Empire. Baron Tagge was responsible for originating the Corporate Sector Authority Charter. The Tagge family presumably made it big based on their massively huge corporate infrastructure - dwarfing even Xizor's miniscule empire.

The Tagge's had a direct link into the Empire - commanding Imperial troops, facilities and resources.

22. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    They had control over Imperial Troops, not Imperial stormtroopers, right?

23. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Stormtroopers definitely confirmed, I believe regular troops as well. :)

24. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    A little exposition.

The Expansion Region Corporate Sector, now referred to as just the ?Corporate Sector,? existed independently solely because neither the Republic nor the Empire before it had deemed it necessary to annex it by force or treaty. Ruled by business?with government enforcement second to none?the Corporate Sector enjoyed a solid history of over fifty years of independent rule. Started as a mining resource and petri dish for rule by industry under the Old Republic, the isolated area achieved autonomy under Palpatine. With a small kickback paid to the highest levels of the New Order?s government, the CS gained the ability to expand and rule with an iron fist. Since the reversal of power back to the Republic, stringent trade laws and sanctions have kept the CS autonomous, but like any government, it has its own share of problems.

Smugglers, pirates and internal struggle have pockmarked the Sector, but not ruined it. Though smuggling in spice and weapons to revolutionaries was as pervasive in the CS as anywhere else, it paid more to work directly for the government, lest the CSA decide to take notice of you. The CSA, Corporate Sector Authority, in place since the Old Republic and in effect, the government, military and bureaucracy since the early days of the New Order, lorded over more than thirty thousand systems, eleven races rarely seen outside its borders and profits that would make companies like Soro Suub and Corellian Steel green with envy. The goods produced are of no great consequence or originality to the galaxy proper: clothing, foodstuffs, and generic ship parts. Most worlds in the Republic had facilities for all of these, with prices determined by simple supply and demand, not the ?Invisible Iron Hand,? as termed by economists, which existed in the CS.

25. neimoidian_85

neimoidian_85 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    C.S.A = Confederate States of America

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.