main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What was Luke's plan in RotJ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by lord-darkhelmet, Feb 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lord-darkhelmet

lord-darkhelmet Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    When Luke and the others are attempting their rescue of Han from Jabba at the beginning of RotJ, there is some mention of a plan that Luke has. But what exactly was his plan? Let's look at the events as we know them from the films:

1. at the end of ESB Lando and Chewie take off to find Han and Luke mentions something about a rendezvous on Tatooine.

2. sometime before RotJ Lando gets a job in Jabba's palace as a guard.

3. in RotJ Threepio and Artoo become employed in Jabba's palace with Artoo carrying Luke's lightsabre.

4. later Leia arrives disguised as Boushh and offers Chewie to Jabba for a price.

5. Leia frees Han from the carbonite, but they are both captured by Jabba.

6. Luke arrives and is also captured by Jabba.

7. Artoo shoots Luke's sabre out to Luke and the day is saved after some discussion and loss of limbs.

I can see the reasoning for having Lando on the inside for the purposes of keeping tabs on Jabba and his gang. But my question is, Was it part of Luke's plan to get everyone captured by Jabba at different points so as to play on Jabba's arrogance hoping he would let his guard down? I can't think of any other reason why Leia and Chewie arrived when they did, because Leia wouldn't have been able to escape with Han because Chewie was still captive - along with the droids.

If it was all part of Luke's plan, he was certainly one cheeky little Jedi because that was a huge risk. But then maybe he just wanted to see Leia in that cute little number she wore while chained next to Jabba. So in the end it was probably all worth it.

2. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    Bib Fortuna: HALT! Whoever wants to see Jabba must answer me, these questions three. Then, I take you to him, you see. What is your name?

Luke: Luke Skywalker of Tatooine

Bib Fortuna: What is your quest?

Luke: To seek the Han in Carbonite.

Bib Fortuna: What is the digesting period of the great worm?

Luke: Which worm, Sarlacc or Space slug?

Bib Fortuna: Well, I don't know ---- AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Bib is cast into the Rancor pit

jokes aside, i believe what you have written was his plan.

3. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I think his plan was...

To have Leia release Han from the carbonite, then they (along with Chewie and with Lando's help) get out.

In the event that didn't work (which it didn't) his back up plan was to go to the palace himself and use his Jedi mind powers to get Jabba to release them of his own accord.

(When that didn't work -- which it didn't -- he threated the big man with a blaster. Technically I don't think this wasn't a formal part of Luke's preconceived plan, but needs to be mentioned.)

And if THAT didn't work -- (nothing works for this guy) -- he was aware that Jabba enjoyed feeding people to the Saarlac, so that would at least get the whole crew outside the palace.

It's really all a matter of back-up plan after back-up plan.

4. MasterAero

MasterAero Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2002
    Phase 1: Steal underpants

Phase 3: Profit

8-}

I agree with above. Luke was last step if others failed.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I think it was safe to assume Lando was giving intel when he could.

And either they were on some kind of time limit akin to "if you are not out by such-and-such time with Solo" then Luke would come in, or Lando let Luke know they had been caught too.
    Had Leia and Chewie escaped with Solo, then later on Lando would leave qyuickly or else stay on for awhile to monitor Jabba's activities.

Just a few guesses.

6. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Luke's plan was let the [bleep] hit the fan and see what happens. Luckily everything worked out :cool:

7. Luke_SW

Luke_SW Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2003
    maybe he foresaw the events
    he did seem very confident throughout the entire ordeal

8. Naboo1

Naboo1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    Luke's plan was to get the captured gang out of the heavily armed fortress to the Sarlacc Pit in the Dune Sea, where escape could be marginally easier.

9. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    Phase 1: Steal underpants

Phase 3: Profit

[face_laugh]

Nicely done. :)

10. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Maybe Leia was there just to release han from the carbinite (sp?). Cuz if leia and chewie didn't arrive and luke tried to rescue han and failed (rancor) and then when he would be taken to the sarlacc han would still be at jabbas palace in carbinite. So luke needed han with him and let Leia, Chewie, and lando fight along side luke.

11. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Yeah. Leia releases Han and escapes. Lando releases Chewbacca and escapes.
    The rest was plan B, C, D, and E. Luke is a very good planner.

I have no idea how the droids get out in plan A.

12. boarderbum51

boarderbum51 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2003
    Droids were sposed to bargain for his life, that didnt work.

Leia was sposed to get Han out while Lando gets the droids and chewie seeing as how he is a gaurd...didnt work.

Luke goes to use his powers...didnt work.

Use everyones help to Kill Jabba and his posse...WORKED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.