main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What was the point of Anakin Force Choking Padme?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by TragicHeroLover132, May 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yes, as if the PT needed more kitsch.

I don't see how she represses her emotions at the Naboo blockade. She's worried and she makes no effort of hiding it. Sabe on the other hand...
    The romance and her pregnancy is proof she can put personal needs before duty. Can't see Leia doing this, sorry.
    And when Anakin romances her she wears increasingly hotter outfits. She's playing the hard to get game here and that tells me she's perfectly aware of what's going on.

I still don't buy into these comparisons.

2. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    As Padme, yes, she's much more demonstrative, but as Queen Amidala, she generally doesn't allow emotion to overtake her -- she speaks in a very formal, almost monotone fashion, as though to maintain authority.

And to be fair, Leia does let her anger get the better of her at times, such as when she's yelling at poor Lando.

[image=http://heavyarmor.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/choked.jpg]

That scene always annoyed me personally. I mean really, what was Lando supposed to do, sacrifice everyone in Cloud City for Han and Leia? And yet no one ever calls Leia out for her behavior.

Um...didn't Leia do something similar, though? She went after Han on Tatooine instead of staying with the Rebellion to plan the attack. And she has a romance with Han while the Galactic Civil War is going on -- she does exactly what Padme did except she didn't have the chance to fall pregnant since Han was put into carbonite between the interval of ESB and ROTJ. And, to be honest, Leia toys with Han's feelings as well by kissing Luke (and drags her poor brother into it) just to make Han jealous. And you don't think Leia's playing "hard to get"? Telling Han to let go of her hands, but then allowing him to kiss her? Unless Han's sexually harassing her, of course.

Both Leia and Padme are decidedly unique characters, however, I wouldn't say they are entirely dissimilar. But I digress, we're getting a bit off topic.

TragicHeroLover132 likes this.
  3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Ugh, the internet swallowed my message. Anyway. I think the main difference between the two is, that while Padmé is capable of hiding her feelings, she doesn't feel an unexplainable urge to do so like Leia sometimes does. Leia thinks she has to be strong all the times, that's why she puts the brave front on. She has problems admitting pain or attraction to a man, while she has no problems showing her anger, because she doesn't perceive herself being angry as weakness. Leia doesn't play hard to get, she is hard to get, because she is frightened. In ROTJ she has softened up, and you could say she is more similar to Padmé at that point.

4. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    That scene always annoyed me personally. I mean really, what was Lando supposed to do, sacrifice everyone in Cloud City for Han and Leia? And yet no one ever calls Leia out for her behavior.

I agree. It still annoys me that many fans have failed to question both Leia and Chewbacca for allowing their anger to get the best of them. Their actions prevented Lando from saving Han. And did they really expect him to choose them over the citizens of Bespin?

I cannot help but wonder if Padme would have understood Lando's situation. She was almost put into that situation, when she learned of the suffering on Naboo, by the Trade Federation. But unlike Lando, she was far away at the time.

5. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    The choke is all that was left in....

IIRC:
    AnaVader actually tossed Padme across the platform. Her body placement was not edited in the final cut of the film, so if you watch closely, you'll see Kenobi check her vitals in a different spot than where she was choked. The choke was the only signature Vader-move that Lucas allowed to remain, the force-fit container-tossing and flying molten metal shards were removed.

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, the Force-throw is still in the novel.

7. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Yep.

The film was left with even less.
    IIRC, the main impetus was for getting/keeping a PG-13 rating?

Between the two be-headings and burning Vader's toast...
    the ratings limit was already being pushed.
    :p

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Wouldn't that technically be three beheadings?

9. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I'm not sure.
    Is "burned-off" the same as "cut-off", in the gffa?

10. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
  11. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    [face_laugh]

It's the same as having something cut off with a lightsaber, I suppose.

12. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Mrrf. Don't remember. Who besides Dooku gets beheaded?

13. steelneena

steelneena Jedi Master star 1

Oct 4, 2007
    Why would there a be a point to not having the force choke? If she had lived, she would have been disillusioned to Ani, and if she died, Ani would think it was his fault. By the b y, Ani does have issues controlling his emotions, thus it makes perfect sense for him to freak out an force choke his beloved. he wouldn't do that to Obi-Wan, simply because Obi-Wan is also force sensitive. And lightsabers are more effective in jedi vs. sith battles. So in other words, I don't see the point of wondering over the fact in the first place.

14. TragicHeroLover132

TragicHeroLover132 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 24, 2010
    Well, the reason why I wondered why it was kept in is because it's isn't what killed Padme. She lost the will to live. Then again, I guess you could argue that while the Force choke didn't physically kill her, it emotionally traumatized her enough to make her not want to go on anymore.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Two clones. Thus, there are three total ( unless the clones count as one beheading incident ).

16. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Oh, ok. No wonder I did not remember.

17. littlemissrock

littlemissrock Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2011
    I would have force choked her too. I mean he sacrifices so much for her and she just throws it back at his face, in a moment of anger he must have lost control. Most domestic abuse cases are way worse.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Whoa...seriously?

Obviously I'm a big Anakin fan, but I have to disagree with you here. She had the right to be disappointed at the idea that he pledged himself to an evil being and committed murder in her name, especially when he did have other options. She had suggested several times that he confide in Obi-Wan, and we know from the dialogue in the film that Obi-Wan would have helped them. We also know from Padme's character development that she would have preferred death over being "saved" by an act or acts of evil--this is something that Anakin should have known, and considered.

I have found myself both sympathetic towards Anakin in ROTS and extremely frustrated with him at the same time. It is possible to understand that his intentions were good, and his deeds were born out of sheer desperation, without condoning the end actions.

TragicHeroLover132 likes this.
  19. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    o_O

20. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    Wow... just... wow....

I suppose she is only throwing back how he has murdered the Jedi Order, already planning to murder his "friend" Palpatine, rukle the Galaxy as a Dictatorship...

Now I think about is surely she should have been jumping for joy... :rolleyes:

21. littlemissrock

May 8, 2011
    It's not the only time a woman screwed it up for everybody, come to think of it, it's a classic motif, look at Helen of Troy, Cleopatra, Queen Guinevere, and Empress Josephine.

22. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    What the...

I... I don;t know what to Say...

you have left me speechless... well done...

I would love to know what Padme "Screwed up"

23. littlemissrock

May 8, 2011
    Anakin turned to the dark side mostly due to the prevention of Padme's death. So the destruction of the Jedi Order, the emmergence of the empire is directly caused by her, with or without her knowledge.

24. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    So this desevered her to be Force Choked?

Anakins turn was nothing to do with Padme

Anakin turned because he was afraid of losing her there is no fault on Padmes side. He also was developing a thist for power, as he said himself

OK, the Jedi may not have had the best advice for him, but nothing they did desevred him to a) wipe out the entire order b) Start Force Choking your wife

Nothing Padme did deserved a Force Choking. What Anakin, no What Vader did was unacceptable

You seem to be forgetting that by the point that Anakin arrived at Mustafar, Anakin was essentially gone, this was Darth Vader, one of the ,most evil villains in the Galaxy

25. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    @ Littlemissrock interesting logic

baffling, but interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.