main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

what was your first reaction when you first saw TPM?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Heavenly_Angel, Apr 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heavenly_Angel

Heavenly_Angel Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    what was your first impression on the movie?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I thought it was great! :D

3. C-3P0

C-3P0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    Loved it.

I was amazed at how well the digital characters were realized.

On a technical level, Jar Jar was amazing.

4. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    complete awe and overwhelmment. It was almost like a sensual overload--the sights and sounds were layered on so densely, i had never seen anything quite like it. The only other film to do that to me was the Matrix a few months later.

5. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    I loved it. It reawakened my love for Star Wars.

6. Vanthorne_OX

Vanthorne_OX Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2002
    It was neither love or hate. I attribute that to not exactly knowing what to expect and then getting something I could never have fully imagined in my own head. I knew most major plot details beforehand thanks to my weakness for spoilers then - not this time though :p. It was just a lot to take in. It was Star Wars, but not from the angle we had seen Star Wars before. I've come to appreciate this different angle.

The end duel was exhilarating. Since it was the last part of the film, it stayed on my mind the most. Once the geek inside of me got over the awesome duel, I could start paying more attention and enjoying the beauty of the rest of the film.

7. --Jawa--

--Jawa-- Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2003
    I was virtually spoiler free for Episode I. I think the only thing I knew beforehand was that Yoda and Jabba and a young Anakin were going to be in it. I had absolutely no idea what to expect.

I left the theater and felt disappointed the entire drive home.

It's gotten a little better over time, not much but a little. I am still lukewarm (no pun intended) to it.

8. master_okiede

master_okiede Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2003
    Being spoiler-free had the reverse affect on me. I absolutley loved it and I think one of the reasons why I enjoyed it so much . I did not have my hopes up to high, and was able to watch the movie without being dissapointed at all.

9. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I was shocked and awed. So much so that I went to see it "several" more times.

10. Jedi of the West

Jedi of the West Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 7, 1999
    I loved it. I thought it was a great addition to the Star Wars universe.

11. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    to follow up to what others have said:

once i got over the initial sensual shock and had time to actually reflect on the susbstance of the film, i realized it was nothing AT ALL like what i was expecting. I was completly spoiler-free--the only thing i had seen was the trailers (but one thing that always bugged me was that the soundtrack gave away Qui Gons death! argh!). And from the trailers the film looked a lot more darker and mysterious. I expected it to be darker and forboding, the way episode II was. It wasnt at all like star wars, both in terms of story, characters, plot, visuals or design. It was a completly different style, but whatever the style, i loved it and thought it really gave the impression of a whole different era than the PT.

And i actually thought Jar Jar was pretty funny most the time. still do.

Only *very* mild disapointments--Darth Maul and Obi Wan could have used more screen time, and Jake Lloyd was a pretty bad actor.

12. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    I thought it was great, and time has not dampened my enthusiasm.

13. master_okiede

master_okiede Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2003
    I don't know why Jake is picked on so much, I think he did pretty good for an 9-year old and couldn't expect much more from him.

Actually, for a while, I was of the opinion that his acting was bad (mainly due to people pointing it out) but the last time I watched it I just realized , hey, this kid aint so bad.

14. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    I loved it! And I loved it just as much the next 6 times I watched it in the theater and every time after that on VHS and later DVD. :D

15. JOHNNY-B

JOHNNY-B Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2003
    I thought it was awsome; especially the Duel-Of-Fates scene (watching Darth Maul out class those two jedi was fun to watch.)

16. Lanky

Lanky Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    what was your first reaction when you first saw TPM?

:eek: Oh the intensity! :D

17. Darth_Punk

Darth_Punk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I hated it but over time I have come to like it. I think my expectations were too high.

18. Darth_Insidious

Darth_Insidious Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    I loved it the first time. Next showing on the same day, I said to myself "Man, is it just me, or does a lot of this dialogue suck?". Third viewing, next day: "Yeah, a lot of this dialogue definitely sucks".

My opinion now: Disappointing, but still a good film, even if it does have a lot of problems. 7/10

19. Augury

Augury Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2003
    I went with my dad. As we walked out of the theatre, I was completely silent - then we got into the car, and my dad asked me, "So, what did you think?"

I stared at him, totally stupified. I couldn't put how much I loved it into words. :D I just grinned. :D

20. Jedi-Sith-Hybrid

Jedi-Sith-Hybrid Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2002
    My initial reaction was positive, although it was well past midnight, so my head wasn't thinking quite right.

21. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I loved it!! [face_love] [face_love] I still love it.

But I didn't have the same feeling with AOTC. I was depressed after AOTC, I didn't know what to think. :p

22. Clonetrooper1000

Clonetrooper1000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2003
    I went to a 1am showing and I came out nearer half 3, wanting to go straight back in. Any minor flaws were overwhelmed by how awesome some of the scenes were. The pod-race was absolutely stunning and I didn't think it could be topped, however, the saber battle did just that and its never lost any of its impact to this day.

23. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I was totally overwhelmed! There was so much going on, with Palpatine, Sidious, Anakin and his mother, Qui-Gon, Watto, the sea monsters, the pod race, the senate.... [face_shocked] !!!!

I thought the OT was slightly better though and Jar Jar felt somewhat out of place. He was like the typical actionmovie sidekick of the nineties.
    Boy, has my view changed!

Oh, and for the longest time I was also of the opinion that Obi-Wan should´ve had a bigger role, but I don´t think that´s needed anymore. Could have something to do with realising that there were two more episodes to go....

24. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I was blown away by the film. And I had to go to the bathroom really bad.

25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Mixed. I saw it five times in the theatre.

The good parts stayed good, but the boring parts became unbearable by the 5th time.

Have the DVD and watch it about once or twice a year.

From the beginning however, the film was, and still remains, a visual masterpiece.

The music is great too although the editing butchers it somewhat, especially at the end.

Loved the politics and Palpy's character from the first.

Was in AWE at the Senate scene. Later became bugged at the damn flying droids. Pointless effects combined with seamless ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.