main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What would've happened to Grievous if he escaped/killed Kenobi?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Graves101, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Graves101

Graves101 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 28, 2013
    I'd like to know your theories. He is a valuable asset to Palpatine, due to his military might, but there would be political outrage, and dissent for Palpatine immediately if he were to invite Grievous to the Galactic Empire..

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the RoTS novel, it's made clear that from Palpatine's view, Grievous would eventually have to be killed anyway- this was why he was the bait for the "Jedi Trap" for Kenobi- especially since the primary goal wasn't to kill Kenobi but to keep him busy while Palpatine corrupted Anakin.

3. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Iron_Lord pretty much summed it up. That jogs my memory of the novel, it's been so long since I read it.
    I love that the Jedi think they are defying Palpatine by choosing Obi-Wan over Anakin, when this is what Palpatine wanted all along. So from Anakin's pov the Jedi look less confident in him, and Palaptine is the good guy, "believing" Anakin is the best man for the job. So the Jedi send Obi-Wan away, and Anakin is left even closer to Palpatine. The Jedi really get played. They should have never asked Anakin to spy on Palpatine in the first place, Palpatine would obviously just manipulate in his favour. "They asked you to do something that made you feel dishonest, didn't they?" The way Ian McDiarmid delivers that line is priceless.
    Back to Grievous though... you kind of feel sorry for the Seperatists. They do everything Sidious commands for years, only to be completely betrayed in the end. I think Vader sees he is not that different to the Seperatists (in Palpatine's eyes) at the end of ROTJ. IMO part of the reason he finally turns on Palpatine is that he realises The Emperor sees both he and Luke as expendable. I mean, he probably already knew this deep down, and was too far in to care, but at the end of the saga he has finally had enough.
    Another irony is Sidious ordering Grievous to capture Palpatine. Where Maul and Dooku knew of Palpatine's dual persona, Grievous and Anakin are duped. Grievous doesn't get it much better than Nute Gunray, and I think deep down Anakin realises this about Palpatine when he turns... afterall, he knows Sidious is behind the war, and while he is ending the war by sending Anakin to Mustafar, Anakin is lying to himself that Nute Gunray is any guiltier than himself or Sidious.

Lady_Misty and BoromirsFan like this.
  4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Palpatine would have known where Grievous was even if he had escaped, and he would have been dispatched quickly.

5. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Palpatine was playing a chess game in all three movies.

It was his move to influence Amidala to vote for a new chancellor so he would win.

It was his decision for Maul to die so that Dooku would tempt Anakin into wanting more power.

It was his decision for Anakin to feel that taste of revenge when decapitating Dooku.

Palpatine knew that if he chose Anakin to be on the council that the council would try and defy his wishes by making him a knight on the council.

Palpatine knew that by saying that Anakin should go after Grievous, that the council would try to disobey his wishes and choose Obi Wan, when this was so necessary for Anakin to lose touch with his best friend and leave him vulnerable.

Palpatine knew Anakin would go to the council when Anakin found out he was the Sith Lord, seeing as the council didn't trust him to do it himself. This would lead Anakin into thinking about what's going on and would force him to see the confrontation.

Palpatine played his way to the top in all three of the movies. If Kenobi would have lost against Grievous, then Palpatine would have killed him himself, just like how he huddled all of the Separatists together just so that Vader could go and slaughter them all. Palpatine wanted a slave by his side in the empire, and Vader was just that. There was no need for more.

6. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    he was just a tool for the emperor, at some point he was gong to be out of the picture anyway, probably when the droid army became expendable.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Palps would have killed him

Dredalus likes this.
  8. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    Then there would be no OT. HERP DEE DERP!

9. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Palpatine would have kept him around a bit longer, then disposed of him when he was no more use to his plans.

10. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    He would have escaped and seized control of the remains of the CIS. Using his strategic genius he would have turned the campaign around and pushed the Republic back to the core. After a long and bloody siege of several key worlds he would eventually demand the Republics unconditional surrender and then the CIS would rule the galaxy. Yup. That's the truth of it right there.

11. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    all the bad guys are expendable in the eyes of the emperor

Lady_Misty likes this.
  12. powersRweak

powersRweak Jedi Knight

Feb 2, 2013
    Well, if he had killed Kenobi what a twist that would be.
    Would require a few more changes to the OT, but why not.

If he had escaped he would most likely be hiding in The Mos Eisley cantina.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  13. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    You might as well take out "the bad guys" from that sentence.

smuggler_vola and Dredalus like this.
  14. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    Strategic genius? If by strategic you mean running away at the single hint of a possible defeat. He was too much of a coward.

Lady_Misty and ILNP like this.
  15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    So much a coward that he personally stormed the heavily guarded capital of his enemy to steal their leader right from the Jedi's grasp.

Lord Chazza likes this.
  16. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    he would have encountered the Vong, and allied with them to create an early invasion.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  17. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Most likely Vader would have hunted him down and killed him. He'd be considered a threat like the Jedi, all vestiges of the Seperatist leadership were to be purged just like the Jedi

SweetZombieJesus likes this.
  18. Lumiyas_Head

Lumiyas_Head Jedi Master star 2

Jul 10, 2007
    Sidious probably would have informed Gunray (who would have been more than pleased) immediately that Grievous had turned traitor and then order the Droid Army against him...a Separatist "Order 66" or something. Anakin couldn't be risked off Coruscant because the timing of Palpatine's endgame plan was nearing completion and Grievous had to be killed before Anakin was turned to the Dark Side. Everything after can proceed as normal.

19. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I only mean that Vader would have been tasked with hunting him down had he escaped.

20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Sarcasm, yes?

21. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    Well the EU makes him out to be a strategic genius doesn't it? We didn't see strategic genius from him in ROTS but then Palpatine was pulling the strings wan't he. The Republic had to win in the end.

22. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    I personally think that when the order to shut down the droid army was issued and Vader took out the Seperatist Council, Grievous would have met his end very quickly at the hand of Vader. Imo, Grievous wasn't a very good extraneous character, as the above post points out he was supposed to be some sort of strategic genius and the supreme commander of the entire droid army (who was alledgedly present at the first Battle of Geonosis), we never witnessed any of that side to him, all we seemed to see in ROTS was a character with a slight cough?!?!? that mumped and moaned then legged it when things got too hot to handle!!

Dredalus likes this.
  23. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Force choke from Coruscant, would be sweet.

Dredalus likes this.
  24. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    I feel like the Republic was forced to win when we talk about Grievous. That's the one thing I didn't like about how the Saga was released 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3. The story of the Pt was forced to take a certain path because of what the OT already had set up for it.

25. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    I agree. I did feel like that at times. Still we won't have that problem in 2015 will we!

Dredalus likes this.