main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Whatever happen to the Digital Projector in Plano?

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Vonn, Jan 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vonn

Vonn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    There was a screen equipped with a DLP projector at the Cinemark at Legacy in Plano.

The last thing that played on it was a brief stint of Fantasia 2000 right after Dinosaur left it.

Now, nothing has played on that digital projector since then.

Does anyone know what happened?

I know Fox released Titan AE for digital cinemas but it wasn't show digital at the before-mentioned theater.

Did the projector break? Was it too expensive to maintain?

What's the story? I looked forward to seeing Episode 2 there specifically because it had the projector.

2. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Don't quote me on this, because I don't know the official deal, but I think the digital engagements at the Legacy are just special events that aren't meant to be a regular thing yet. Likely, TI and the studios are using projectors like that in a few key places across the country for different movies just to gauge consumer interest, and to test the systems.

Plus, most movies would have to be formatted for a digital presentation to be used like that, and most movies simply aren't going to go that route for a couple of reasons. One, it's probably really expensive. Two, it would only be shown to a very small number of people in comparison to regular presentation nationwide.

I think it's safe to say that the DLP thing is still in the testing stages, but I wouldn't worry about Episode II. You can bet that when it comes out, it will definitely be showing on that digital screen, if not a couple more around the metroplex. Lucas is really pushing for the technology, and you may see it more widespread especially for Ep. II.

Personally, I'm hoping we get a digital presentation of Pearl Harbor this summer. Now that is going to be really cool.

3. Vonn

Vonn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Yeah, it is possible that it was only for special events. But they haven't shown anything on it for several months now. Yet, TI still has the theatre mentioned on their website, and they still advertise the DLP on those slides we usually see projected before the movie starts.

The only thing I didn't like about the DLP was probably more of the studios' fault than the technology. Whenever fonts were shown on the screen (not logos like elaborate title names, but just simply fonts for cast members and such) they would appear jagged. But, the rest of the image was jagged or edgy or too sharp. The picture was always perfect except for fonts.

I don't think I will see Pearl Harbor, but Final Fantasy might be nice to see on a digital screen.

But, I guess my real question is: it is was only for limited special events, why are they still advertising it?

I guess I should call them up and ask them myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.