main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's the best film u saw this year

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by darth_boy, Apr 1, 2011.

1. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    Fassbender is a boss. Can't wait for Prometheus.

2. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    Despite being super busy at work, I had 11 iTunes films to watch this week before they expired, was tough.

It's Kind of a Funny Story
    Fire in Babylon
    Life As We Know It
    My Kidnapper
    Defamation
    Ironclad
    Vanishing of the Bees
    City Hall
    Capote (230th at film)
    Infamous
    Seven Swords

Defamation was a really interesting film about antisemitism.
    City Hall is pretty good.
    I watched both of the Capote films, I preferred Infamous, although Seymour Hoffman was good.
    It's Kind of a funny story was not to bad either.

In the cinema this weekend I saw
    Cowboys & Aliens (50th film in the cinema)
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Cowboys was not very good at all.
    Apes was excellent popcorn stuff.

3. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    I was disappointed with Cowboys too. I'm dying to go see the Apes. Everybody says it's fantastic.

4. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    Apart from the really badly put together script (did you see how many people worked on it, bloody hell), the casting was wrong. Ford and Craig are so bloody grumpy, the film just lacked any humour.

Apes is not the typical blockbuster, it's fantastic that the majority of the film is just the story of the Ape and how well done it is. Andy Serkis was brilliant.

5. Hooper

Hooper Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2009
    Apes was fantastic. I especially liked the Gollum references peppered throughout the film. Thought that was a nice touch.

Best film I saw this year though, was 'Jaws'. They had a screening downtown at the Palace Theater. It was great seeing it on the big screen again.

6. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I'd never even heard of him before X-Men: First Class. He's brilliant. I started searching for anything with him in it. He was in 300 with nice, long hair. :p

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    have you not seen inglorious basterds kate? you should watch it, it's fantastic.

8. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    It's the one 'must see' movie I haven't seen yet.

Actually, I shouldn't say that. I have two young children, there are lots of movies I haven't seen yet. :p

9. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    Watch Hunger about IRA hunger striker, he's brilliant
    Also Fish Tank

10. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    I saw both of those in the Netflix instant play selection, I'll check them out. I also ordered Jane Eyre because I'm girly like that.

11. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    Oh yeah for some dumb reason Jane Eyre is not out in the cinema here till September...I'll probably watch it then.

12. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Are you able to get it on Netflix? Or is that some weird American/British thing with movie releases?

13. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    The latter. I just found it a bit odd because usually we get the period dramas way before America as they're more popular here/the source material is from here/usually filmed here.

14. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Gotcha. Well, as far as I know, it's not even being released in theaters here. On my Netflix is says it's available Septebmer 13 so they must be just doing that instead of a theater opening.

15. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    Nah it had a limited release in March, so the film's been around for a while.

16. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Oh, I missed it then.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I'd say this was the 'best' film I saw this year, but it wasn't exactly a joyful experience. I tend to buy anything related to The Troubles, but have a heckuva time 'enjoying' any of it. But, Hunger is a fine piece of film.

18. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    Even though its not the Troubles, what did you think of Wind that Shakes the Barley

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I really liked it, if 'like' is subjective. Parts were freakishly edited/directed, and it seemed like a David Lynch film on the Irish Civil War for a moment or two, but I'm a fan of Cillian Murphy and films on the subject in general, so it was gonna get my money no matter what. The film really struck me more than expected because I saw it the first time while visiting family in Belfast.

20. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    Didn't go to the cinema this week, but it's a bank holiday tomorrow so I should catch the new Pedro Almodovar film tomorrow. Probably see Final Destination 5 and Fright Night during the week too.

At home was a busy week, I'm on 299 films seen this year now. Some really good films on this list;

Jerry Maguire
    Once
    Magnolia
    Rain Man
    Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles
    Hall Pass
    The Eagle
    Oranges and Sunshine (240th film at home)
    Hobo with a Shotgun
    Cherrybomb
    The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
    Elegy
    The Wackness
    Super
    The Girlfriend Experience
    The Legend is Born: IP man

I've been watching some Tom Cruise films this week; Jerry Maguire was pretty good, Rain Man meh, Magnolia was brilliant, Interview with the Vampire was ok too.

The IP Man prequel film was really good, I think I might have enjoyed more than the 2 official films.

Twilight 3 was better than the first 2 but still pretty terrible. I fear we're gonna grow up with a generation of pleb girls who think real life romance is like this. Oh and the whole NO SEX B4 MARRIAGE thing was *puke*.

Hobo with a Shotgun was another Grindhouse trailer spinoff film. It was even wore than Machete.

The Wackness is not a very good film, but the soundtrack and music is just brilliant. If you want to listen to 1994 hiphop (Nas, Biggie, Wu Tang, Tribe, etc) check it out. They just don't do it like that anymore.

Elegy is a really beautiful film, surprised it isn't as highly rated as it should be.
    Once is also a beautiful film, Dave(Jontheshorts) recommended it to me, and it was a great choice.

Hall Pass is hilarious.
    The Eagle was surprisingly bad ass.

Super is a terrible film.
    Oranges and Sunshine is a very interesting film about hundreds of thousands of English children who were shipped over to Australia against their parents wishes until 1970, to terrible conditions. It's shocking to think a so called civilised society did this 4 decades ago.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Glad you liked Once!

Can't wait to hear what you thought of The Skin I Live In.

22. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Rise of Magneto...I mean, X-Men: First Class. :D

23. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    In the new movie category, unexpectedly: Bullshead (Rundskop). Let's say, it might contain to most painful scene I've ever seen on the white screen. Messed up.

In the old and hilarious but only recently seen, definitely both Death Race 2000 for the hilarious category and Repo Man for the unexpectedly very enjoyable movie.

24. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    Super 8!
    Incredible movie!

25. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    Source Code.

I just saw fright night and honestly it wasnt as bad as I thought.