main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's the most animatable human model available?

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Shadow_of_Evil, Dec 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Hey everyone. I want to start touching up on my character animation skills...BIG TIME. Out of all my VFX work, animation is the thing I've neglected.

Could someone please point me in the direction of a human like cg model (I'm using 3dsMAX 6) that is just simple and perfect for animating. I don't care at all for textures or increadible detail or what not...just something I can move around and play with.

Cheers.
    -soedigital@iinet.net.au

2. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
  3. Cryptite_

Cryptite_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2004
    Well if you want to learn to animate characters, you're going to have to learn how to rig them someday too. It is not very likely that, in the future of your cg career, you will be handed a pre-rigged character to simply animate. It is much more likely, that you'll be handed a modeled character that you'll have to rig and animate. The two go somewhat hand-in-hand.

I suggest you find tutorials on rigging, then you can learn how to animate characters. The more versatile you are, the better. Or, if you have character studio, just whip up a biped and play around with that. That's the easiest thing to animate, in my opinion.

Remember, google searches are your friends.

4. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Why do you need a human character. If you want to learn and practice animation, a simple model (boxes and spheres, or a simpler humanoid shape) would be more than enough. See the simplified models Jeff Lew and Jeremy Cantor use for teaching:

Jeff Lew website
    Jeremy Cantor website

or better yet the ones used in the George Maestri books.

5. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Cheers guys..I'll look into rigging stuff :)

Oh and I can animate objects and all that fine, it's just I've tried animating fluid human movements like walking and sitting and all that and never could get it right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.