main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's your fav. -wing?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by gold6, Mar 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloudreaper

Cloudreaper Jedi Master star 2

Mar 2, 1999
    The X-Wing, by far, is the most aesthetically pleasing to me. And in most games, one can't go wrong with the speed/manuverability of the A-Wing. And I have to give props to the B-Wing for being a creative and original design.

Yet, my Avatar is a Y-Wing. It's partially because when I choose my name, I used a SW character I created who happened to be part of a Y-Wing squadron, but I do have a distinct fondness for the big, old, ugly bird. Maybe it's because I grew up in the tale end of the F-4 Phantom's life and flying bricks appeal to me (especially if you allow for the not-necessarily official two seater Y-Wings). Maybe it's because they look like solid workhorses. Maybe I like the aging look of them (sort of always wondered what they looked like off the assembly line, particularly if they're old enough to have some PT design style). Maybe it's just the understatement they make in ANH followed by the abuse they get from games that need to play balance them and then writers who based their technical information from the games (after all, you see Y's dogfighting TIEs in ANH and not getting completely danced around like some authors love to make it sound). I don't know. It might just be that I tend to love the unloved. :)

If I could only have one model of a SW fighter to pick, I'd probably have to fall back on the X-Wing, as it's not only beautiful to look at, but it's pretty much a symbol of the original series. Give me a second option and I wouldn't hesitate to request its older, less flashier fighter-bomber counterpart, though.

2. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    X-Wings of course.

3. CloneTrooper_3000

CloneTrooper_3000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2005
    The X-Wing, hands down.

4. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    X-Wing fighter. One of the coolest imaginary spaceships ever!

I always thought the B-Wing fighter was cool, too. A way funky design that we never have seen used to its fullest potential (in the EU, the B-Wings and Y-Wings always seem to be so much cannon fodder, unfortunately).

I actually never had the X-Wing toy growing up, but I did have the B-Wing and Y-Wing toys. I thought the B-Wing toy was neat because no matter how you turned it, the cockpit stayed right-side up.

And I actually LIKED my Y-Wing toy. I loved it that you could put Artoo (or r5D4) in the back, and when you pressed a button the top laser cannon would spin back and forth and make shooting noises. And I loved that it could drop a bomb on the bad guys. Thanks to video games and the EU, the Y-Wing is sadly put down by everyone (I personally don't play Star Wars video games, and I get soooo sick of listening to people who do play them going on about how Y-Wings "suck" and are "slow"...).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.