main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's your most embarrassing moment as a SW Collector?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by FallenKnight88, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Majik_Monkee

Majik_Monkee Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Hmmm...I might have to look into that a bit more. I'm still a bit fuzzy on the details of what the original scene entailed. Sounds pretty wierd, though...

2. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    the new scene is kinda weird at first but it grew on me.
    another moment- having to wing a complete lie to a credit card company on why i was late with a payment. in reality i bought 3 unleashed statues :)

3. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Maybe spending 50 on a SW Celebration III figure while at the con. I just didn't want to waste a whole day standing in line. But, the figure is worth it.

4. Majik_Monkee

Mar 30, 2005
    I've heard mixed reviews on the new OT releases, some that sort of disturb me. It makes me feel like I'm missing stuff when I sit down to enjoy the original movies now, because there's all that stuff added to the two different phases of special editions. That's kind of sad to feel like the films I grew up with are somehow incomplete because of the freqent tweaking. I thought George's challenge was to make the PT fit the OT, not the other way around as well.

I'm talking about my back side here, though, because I haven't seen the DVD's first hand yet. I've been trying to get a "transcript" of sorts of the new Vader/Emperor conversation though so I can see what it's all about ahead of time.

Sorry...didn't mean to get off topic there...

Another of my embarassing moments was trying to blow up a Klateau Skiff Guard vintage figure with fire crackers as a kid and finding out he was indestructable...and then getting in trouble with my folks for blowing up my toys when they saw the black scorch marks on his chest.

5. FallenKnight88

FallenKnight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    Maybe this will help you from feeling out of the loop. :D

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=8&c=28

6. Majik_Monkee

Mar 30, 2005
    Thanks...it does, actually. Hmmm...not to dwell on it too much, but after reading the details of the changes and seeing the pictures for all three movies, I have to say I think my favorite will probably be the special editions from the 90's (though I think the originals should be considered the best, since they were the originals). Several of the changes I read about didn't really sit well with me, probably because I'm an old geezer who spent so much time with the unedited original films when I was younger, and had to overcome a lot just to enjoy the first special editions. I just think the younger generation is missing out on something not getting to experience the original moment in ESB when we found out with Luke that Vader was his father. Nowadays they're probably like, "Well, duh!!" when that revelation is made. I don't care much for injecting Hayden into ROTJ so much either, but I don't want to open that can of worms here.

Sorry for the deviation...to look at this from a collecting standpoint, I doubt I'll be collecting the new Special Edition DVD's. I may watch them once over just to see what the fuss is about, but I already own the first special editions...oh, yeah...and I'm not buying a "spirit of young Anakin" figure when it comes out either...

7. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Most embarrassing moment? Ordering the Holiday Vader action figure from SWShop. [face_blush]

8. Majik_Monkee

Mar 30, 2005
    :eek: *gasp* And you're actually admitting to it? Incredible!!

9. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Passing up a $50 UCS X-Wing when they were on clearance. I never saw one again, and now they run for over $400 here.

10. pakatak

pakatak Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2002
    Most embarissing moment as a collector

Hiding an At-Rt trooper and forgetting where I hid him.

Most embarassing moment as a fan,

being mocked by other fanantics because i know too many answers to trivial persuit, These arn't normal people, these guys have huge collections themselves, but they found it odd that I knew Jabba the Hutt was listed as playing himself at the end credits of Episode 1, I thought it was common knowledge

11. Majik_Monkee

Mar 30, 2005
    I did know that one, so don't feel bad...I also like to throw out at casual fans such irritating and irrelevent facts like Tusken Raiders get drunk on sugar water and space slugs reproduce asexually by splitting into two slugs and were placed by space pirates.

Most of the people I know don't know what a Tusken Raider or space slug are anway...

12. pakatak

pakatak Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2002
    Cool random facts on the space slugs and tusken raders. Upon further review I think they were just mad because they lost the game.

Oh by the way, probably one of the most embarassing moments is when you have a date that likes star wars, then you tell them about your collection and, instead of thinking you are even cooler, they offer up a "really" and act like you have leporasy (sp)

13. DarthMrB

DarthMrB Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 31, 2005
    I was at wal-mart and i couldnt decide to buy count dookus lightsabre or the minatures starter set. My friends told me to get da sabre so i did. I was outside, then I said "Nevermind. I dont want this anymore." So we turned around and went to the costomer service. They asked me " You still play with toys?" and I said," I collect Star Wars stuff." I started walking out and they were laughing. So my friend decided to flip them off. Then we ran out of there.

Second, was when i put like 12 figs into the lane and the lady looked at me like i was crazy.

14. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    Maybe spending 50 on a SW Celebration III figure while at the con. I just didn't want to waste a whole day standing in line. But, the figure is worth it.

Don't feel embarrassed about that because I did it too!! [face_laugh] :) After the lines were capped after like 2 hours, I decided to hell with the C3 store and just raided the vendor area! And you're right, the figure is way worth it!

15. JEDY

JEDY Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2005
    I agree totally, why should you care if someone looks at you in a weird way if you are in joy over finding a specific iitem or whatever , I don't care at all.

16. GoG

GoG Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2005
    I held off responding to this, because it seems too far out, but its the truth.. Its not embarrassing , but definatly worth the mention..

Like 6 years ago, day after thanksgiving, when new SW toys were gonna be released (maybe older, it was when firby was released) my wife and I were at the mall 6 am in line to get into the toy store. As soon as it opened, we all ran, liek friggin morons.. Anyways, i was in front of the wife running and I hear a scream and crying.. My wife was 17 at the time, and this 50+ yr old lady grabbed my wife and pinched her soooo hard to get in front of her that her arm began to bleed. The friend I was with felt the same way I did and we rushed the old lady and pushed her down and kicked her purse.. was a nasty mess. cops got involved etc.. Old lady said we hurt her back etc.. We got off, but no 1 got any toys.. I just thought I would mention this. I know it seems too far out, but Im honest , it happened...

GoG

17. VaderRx

VaderRx Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2005

BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

That is the funniest thing I've read in a long time!

18. FallenKnight88

FallenKnight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    =D= Someone did that to my wife, i'd probably do the same thing.

19. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I just now thought of something... It's not really too embarassing, but here goes...

I was walking through Target, the one near my old college alma moder where there are lots of college girls (You get the drift). Anyway, I passed by a group of them, gently holding an OTC figure (Don't remember which one) so as not to damage the card (Being a keep on carder is tough work). The girls clearly looked to see what I was holding. Busted. I don't know why, but I brought the figure up to my forehead and saluted them with it. They laughed... either at the gesture or at me... either way, I considered it a decent recovery.

And of course EVERY cashier looks at me with that 'Boy, what are you doing buying that?' look. Thank God for self check-out scanners!

20. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    "Like 6 years ago, day after thanksgiving, when new SW toys were gonna be released (maybe older, it was when firby was released) my wife and I were at the mall 6 am in line to get into the toy store. As soon as it opened, we all ran, liek friggin morons.. Anyways, i was in front of the wife running and I hear a scream and crying.. My wife was 17 at the time, and this 50+ yr old lady grabbed my wife and pinched her soooo hard to get in front of her that her arm began to bleed. The friend I was with felt the same way I did and we rushed the old lady and pushed her down and kicked her purse.. was a nasty mess. cops got involved etc.. Old lady said we hurt her back etc.. We got off, but no 1 got any toys.. I just thought I would mention this. I know it seems too far out, but Im honest , it happened... "

thats awsome man!
    you and your friend deserve ANH-style medals instead of a police report

21. GoG

GoG Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2005
    HaH, How funny.. Ive walked through Wallymart with toys in my hand, all happy n cheery, and realized girls and "adults" looking at me with not only toys, but star wars.. Heh, you know they are like "what a fruit"

22. Fox4

Fox4 Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    LMAO!!!!!![face_laugh]

23. Darth_Phineas

Darth_Phineas Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2004
    The time I was at a store looking for figures. Another collector comes up so we start chatting about the figures. My cell phone goes off, playing... you guessed it, the Imperial March. This was a few years back, before Cingular offered them for download... I had to put a little time in to find the ringtone for the phone I had and then to upload it by IR. Anyway, I felt like an uber-dork.

24. StarkRhavyn

StarkRhavyn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm embarassed everytime my wife walks into my collection room and reminds me of my age.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.