main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit When We Can Expect First Details on Marvel's Comics

Discussion in 'Literature' started by cdgodin, May 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    One thing I'm looking forward to with the new material is that Luke and company should find out the PT info 30 plus years ahead of the EU. Will miss the EU but this is a benefit.

kubricklynch, vong333 and Revanfan1 like this.
  2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    If the video games couldn't escape the black hole of the OT, why should the new comics?
    Besides, I think there's still at least one more version of the Battle of Hoth to be shown.

Zorrixor likes this.
  3. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

Well, at the moment, the only characters who exist in canon are movie characters, and unless they're waved off touching post-RoTJ until Episode VII comes out I'd say a Post-ROTJ comic is almost a lock.

4. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    You mean an adaptation of Death Star?

5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Not sure they would go into post-RotJ material until after the movie, unless they allow some lead-up comics to the sequel trilogy. The more likely choice is probably the old fallback, the post-Yavin, pre-Hoth period that everyone loves to focus on. Either that or the other two more recent era introduced, probably Rebels, and slightly possibility of TCW. Though probably not TCW, but as TCW makes up most of canon at the moment ( :rolleyes: ) , with five seasons compared to only six movies, they can always draw on that.

I thought they would have saved the big announcement for Comic-con, but guess they either didn't want it to get lost among all the other announcements they'll have there (Marvel already has their next event after the current event lined up), or to give people some time to react to the news and then they can talk about it more at the con. Still not that enthusiastic, although that could change depending on the writer and artist they get.

6. JediDingo

JediDingo Jedi Master star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    I'm going to assume you weren't trying to be sarcastic, but yes. Kind of like that. Or a House of Cards style comic based on Imperial Politics.

7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Well, both of his Trek movies had lead-in comics. The first one at least did a lot of set up (introduced Nero, the red matter, Spock and the ships going into the black hole from the TNG era) even though it didn't directly impact anything from the movie. The second one...what I recalled just featured Admiral Marcus in a few scenes and then teased Harrison at the end.

BigAl6ft6 and darklordoftech like this.
  8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I've always wondered what was going on on Coruscant during the OT. I'd love to see the Imperial Senate in action and their perspective on the Rebellion.

Valin__Kenobi and mes520 like this.
  9. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Is it possible (not probably but possible) that Marvel will purchase DH trademarks? (such as anything like Dawn of the Jedi or The Old Republic or anything else that might be profitable?)

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I've always proposed a West Wing style Imperial Palace feature called The Inglenook. Ars Dangor as Leo, Pestage as Josh, Greejatus as Toby, Pradeux as CJ, etc.

Perhaps I ought to wish upon a star...

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

11. DIrishB

DIrishB Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 29, 2014
    I have a feeling that of the two ongoing series, one will likely be a a Rebels spin-off, occurring around the same time, and the second will likely be set between ANH and ESB.

Keep in mind, while there will be two ongoing series, there will also very likely be a slew of mini-series, and I'm sure some of those will be set post RotJ.

Due to Abrams and Disney wanting to keep details of Episode VII a secret as long as possible, I'm sure any comics or novels set after RotJ will occur within a few years after RotJ so as not to step on the toes of any of Episode VII's details (like possible children of Han and Leia or Luke's possible children, etc). And I'm sure that'll be the policy up until late next year, at which point we'll have at least some story and character info on Ep VII from trailers and official plot synopsis and cast lists (specifically as what characters they're playing). At that point some of the mystery surrounding the film will have been lessened through official info, as well as a likely slew of lead in material to Episode VII in the form of comics and novels.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Cue the episode when Palpatine and his entourage are shot at by Jedi-haters because Ken is dating a Jedi.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Might we see something set between ESB and ROTJ? I don't believe that anything else in the Disneyverse is set there.

credar likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Current speculation buzz on the net is, due to leaving Iron Man to take up a big new opportunity, Kieron Gillen may be writing one of the Marvel SW series.

Reasoning isn't that far-fetched either, Gillen has done runs on Journey Into Mystery and X-Men, he's done Young Avengers, while his indie work is Uber, Three and Phonogram. Bendis isn't leaving the X-books, Slott's on Spidey, Hickman leaves Avengers May 2015, that's some time away. What does that leave? Not much, except.....Thus - Star Wars.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Marvel has got a slew of people that they will use and this license is now forever I guess so eventually we will see everyone in the company write something. I don't think this is going to be bad and I don't want them to buy the Dark Horse stuff so that they can start re-printing it to make money. Sorry, the nostalgic part of me says no, maybe in 20 years they could but everyone now should get off their butts and buy all the dark horse stuff before its over and not wait. I want Marvel to come out with their own stuff not use somebody elses to make money. That would defeat the purpose of legends and all that jazz

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    How about something that follows Daine Jir? We could see his role in the Empire and in various battles.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    post ANH pre ESB Rebellion comic is fairly likely but I think doing a "day after ROTJ / not Truce at Barakua" era comic could be interesting and they could play around in that. Considering that "Star Wars" is just coming off post ANH pre ESB series Marvel might not want to put out the EXACT same thing and sticking really close to the tail end of ROTJ could minimize any potential ep. 7 conflict. (Story group knowing the actual story of ep. 7 by now to the continuity rescue!)

have no idea what the 2nd series is. I don't see an Ep. 7 era comic coming out anytime soon (maybe, like, 3 months before ep. 7 is released). If the second comic turns out to be "Clone Wars (scripts we had in the can for season 6-8)" I will happily buy 3 copies of the first issue (which is not entirely crazy because Marvel loves them variant covers)

18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    yep they sure do

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I hope that they adapt whatever else was planned involving Sifo-Dyas. What we saw gave me the impression that the investigation wasn't finished.

20. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Doesn't all of that belong to LFL anyway, meaning that they have free reign to use whatever furthers their company's goals?

21. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    If it's an ongoing series we're talking about, it'll probably end up being immediately after ROTJ. Other eras are too saturated and that's the one that seems most likely to gear up enthusiasm for Episode VII.

Or at least I hope. If we're not talking series, some small arcs like the ones that have been discussed here - Sifo-Dyas, Imperial politics on Coruscant etc would be super great.

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I don't see them caring how saturated an era is in "Legends".

23. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    If you think about it, from Disney/LFL's point of view they now have

huge amounts of space just between 1 to 9

24. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I see your point, but why take on an era that casual fans don't think is particularly interesting? As a casual fan, I don't think you care what happened in the three years between ANH and ESB. The years after ROTJ, or the years between ROTS and ANH, on the other hand...

Zorrixor likes this.
  25. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    This is actually true, as right now, they're still mostly selling to the existing fanbase -- so us -- as Episode 7 is still 18 months away, and the mainstream hype hasn't started yet.

In eighteen month's time? Sure, Episode 7 comics, that'll be a no brainer as it'll appeal to the mass market that'll all be chomping at the bit for Star Wars stuff. But right now... it'll still be the same people who have been buying this junk for years, and who've already seen the Battle of Hoth a zillion times. That's what makes me think Marvel's first run will probably be Rebels related, as that'll be able to target a broader market base -- the TV audience -- and maybe include some things-you-won't-realise-until-you-watch-Episode-7 stuff, like a cameo by Sydow's future character, or Luke's wife, or something, whose cameo in a Rebels comic strip wouldn't be realised at the time.
    One more version? You must mean the first version!

It'll be never before seen! The first and only canon expansion of the Battle of Hoth!!! 8-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.