main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where's Qui-Gon Jinn's Ghost?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by ScaryTeddy, May 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScaryTeddy

ScaryTeddy Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    I would like to know why we don't see Qui-Gon Jinn's ghost along with the others at the end of ROTJ. After all, it was he that taught Yoda and Obi Wan to use that power in the first place. It would seem to me that Lucas should have added him when changing Anikin's ghost for the DVD's.

2. Matthew138

Matthew138 Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2004
    Because Luke wouldn't know who he is?

3. ScaryTeddy

ScaryTeddy Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    I don't see why that would matter. The completion of the prophecy and balance being brought back to the force is important enough that he should make an apperance even if luke doesnt know him. Also, the fact that he was Obi Wan's master and Yoda's apprentice would make it even more appropriate for him to be there.

4. Mandalorian-Jedi

Mandalorian-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2005
    Qui-Gon didn't bring back his physical form. His body was burned and only his mind remained.

5. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    Actually he did, as Yoda spoke with him when he took a ghost form in Dark Rendezvous, but it would appear it took a great amount of effort, as he couldnt in Episode 3

6. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    I'm sure this will be fixed in the next Special Edition. And after that, the Ghost Of Mace, and the whole Jedi Council!

Yippie!

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Luke not knowing who he is can be easily solved: By having him appear after Luke turns away.

In the grand scheme of the saga, Qui-Gon is awfully important. I wouldn't mind seeing him. Less than seeing Hayden (and I accepted that one).

When the scenes towards the end came up, I really hoped we would see Qui-Ghost. (I was spoiler-free).

8. captainfrosty

captainfrosty Jedi Master star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    I hope, one day, that GL will add Qui-Gon at the end.

9. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Again you don't see Qui Gonn's ghost there because Jedi was made some 15 years before The Phantom Menace and Lucas had not yet thought up the character of Qui Gonn yet. Simple as that. But it will be interesting to see if Lucas changes that in future remakes of the movies.

10. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    And Hayden was still in diapers when RotJ was made, yet now he's there. [face_thinking]

11. Avon-Guido

Avon-Guido Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2005
    i agree i think qui-gons ghost should of been added as well since they went back and added hayden.

12. lrdmonarch

lrdmonarch Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2001
    The ghosts are what Luke sees, Qui-Gon has never conversed with him in any way, so he wouldn't see Qui-Gon.

13. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    "Luke not knowing who he is can be easily solved: By having him appear after Luke turns away."

14. Grand-Moff-Tarkin

Grand-Moff-Tarkin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2004
    Since we're on the subject of ghosts at the end of RotJ, how does Luke know who Hayden's ghost is? I can understand him knowing Sebastian's ghost as he just saw him die. Now when this new dude who he's never see before shows up at the end how does he know that it is Anakin, his father? Or does he really know?

15. lrdmonarch

lrdmonarch Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2001
    <<"Luke not knowing who he is can be easily solved: By having him appear after Luke turns away." >>

But Qui-Gon has nothing to do with Luke.

<<how does he know that it is Anakin, his father? Or does he really know?>>

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

16. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    <<<<<But Qui-Gon has nothing to do with Luke.>>>>>

Which is why he should appear after Luke joins the party in the second to last shot of the entire saga.

17. Darth_Sammy52

Darth_Sammy52 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    I can understand him knowing Sebastian's ghost as he just saw him die.

Anakin as a ghost looked completely different than how he did in the Darth Vader suit. It even took me a long time to figure out the two were the same.

And I'm pretty sure Luke can put two and two together and figure out that the ghost beside Obi-Wan and Yoda is the younger version of his father. Kind of like how in Field of Dreams when Kevin Costner's character just knows that the "ghost" or what have you, was the younger version of his father.

In answer to your question, I'd like to see Qui-Gon appear, since he was the one who taught Obi-Wan and Yoda how to achieve immortality. And he can appear right after Luke turns away so there's no questioning why Luke doesn't react to seeing this old guy he knows nothing about standing with the other ghosts.

18. Avon-Guido

May 28, 2005
    good point, that would be perfect.

19. aiden_darnassi

aiden_darnassi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    Well if we look to the EU, force ghost can only hold on for a few years, until the have to completely become one and lose their idenity. Old ben last in that state for about a decade if you do the math. Qui-Gon would have to stay in that state for about 29 years, which he wouldn't beable to do.

20. Avon-Guido

May 28, 2005
    well in that case then qui-gon shouldnt be there.. i didnt know about the force ghost being a timed event.

21. Darth_Sammy52

Jul 26, 2004
    I didn't know that either. Oh well, it's still a nice idea though to have him appear.

22. sepharih

sepharih Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2005
    Hey there you all, your a little late on this topic. I settled this argument for the most part on the dvd changes thread when I created a short video in after effects which actually shows qui-gon at the end of ROTJ. You can find a link to it in my sig, to watch it you'll need to download the indeo 5.1 codec, just google it and you can find and download the codec.
    Or try here if you can't find it.
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Indeo_Codec.htm

For those of you talking about how he doesn't dissapear and become one with the force, and only adds his presence, remember that neither does Anakin. Obi-wan and Yoda have to help him along. Now that the prophecy has been forfilled is it really so hard to believe after everything we've seen that they together couldn't help Qui-gon, who had already partially achieved this, reach the next step?

Note also that in my video, Luke turns away before Qui-gon appears. His appearence is solely a transaction between the spirits.

If any of you want this change anywhere near as badly as I do in the next release then please please please add the link to your sigs, advertise advertise advertise.

23. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    Luke did not know Qui-Gon

-The Scummy-

24. Darth_Sammy52

Jul 26, 2004
    Luke did not know Qui-Gon

What's your point? We've said this countless times in this thread: Luke doesn't need to see Qui-Gon. Qui-Gon can appear right after Luke leaves to join the crowd.

25. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    [oops. double post]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.