main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which console is dominating the market?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Valyn, Apr 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    jp-30 suggested that I remove the poll aspect of this thread idea so that I could get more hard facts rather than opinions. :)

I'm wondering which console is dominating the gaming market (in regards to sales, revenue, and profit), whether it be the Gamecube, the XBox, the PS2, or another. I'd appreciate any links you can provide, as well.

I tried searching for the statistics on my own, but I couldn't find any sites that compared one console's sales with those of another. :(

2. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    I think in terms of sales, PS2 is 1st, X-Box is 2nd, and the GC is 3rd. That's just a guess though.

It would be interesting to see who's making the most profit though. I think the GC is the only one that makes a profit when a console is sold so there may be a big difference in profit compaired to sales.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    PS2 pretty much blows the other two away in terms of sales anywhere in the world.

GCN and XB battle it out for #2 usua;;y, going back and forth here and in europe, though GCN edges out XB in worldwide sales (probably due to Xb not selling that well in japan).

At least, last I checked, the figures could have changed recently- though I'd expect for GCN to get a huge boost from Zelda.

4. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Thanks, 2nd. :)

Obi: Why is Nintendo the only one that makes a profit from selling a console? :confused:

5. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Where can you actually get unbiased sales figures?

6. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    Why is Nintendo the only one that makes a profit from selling a console?

It may not be the case anymore with price drops, but when the consoles first came out, I heard the the GC was the only one that made a profit selling the console because they left out some of the features that the X-Box and PS2 had like DVD playback. Let me see if I can find an article about it.

EDIT: Here's an article about the X-Box not making profit.

I still can't find anything on the PS2.

7. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Kevin: I don't know. I guess that's why I'm asking. ;)

Obi: I guess Nintendo would face less expenses, as the GC costs less to make than the PS2 and Xbox--or so I would imagine. :)

8. SithLord1968

SithLord1968 Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 2000
    PS2 has the market share, but XBOX is currently out-pacing it in new sales. whether that's because of ps2 saturation or xbox's more-powerful machine is anybody's guess.

9. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    The Xbox has the highest game to console sales right now. The PS2 is spanking everyone in console sales.

MS still takes a hit on those Xbox sales, but they're now a little less expensive to make. Of course with price drops it's all relative.

Slightly off topic, I recently heard concerns about SARS and it's effect on the electronics industry. Apparently if this thing breaks out it could shut down factories, stall or quaranteen shipments and basically create a shortage of available electronics in the world. Obviously it would sound crass to be whining about not getting your PS2 or P4 because millions of people are sick or dying, but still I guess it's a concern and a real possibility in a worst case scenario. At the very least it might affect prices on consoles and other electronics.

Just so there's no confusion, not being able to get a computer part is not my primary concern, but I just though I'd bring it up.

10. medleyoz

medleyoz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    At launch PS2 didn't make any profit on sales they were just trying to break even and get more revenue on sales of accessories and games Then once they got even they dropped the price thus leading to more sales and profit. This is just a guess but I think I read somewhere that they did something like this.
    Anyway, PS2 is by far dominating the market. It was the first released and has had longer to sustain a loyal customer base( including myself). Also PS2 has a lot of top quality EXCLUSIVE games such as Metal Gear Solid, GTA3,FFX, Tekken series, Virtua Fighter, the WWE Smackdown series and many more games.
    Only time will tell how Xbox fairs against the PS2. If Xbox starts getting more and more console exclusive games(on console and PC only) then this may result in more sales. I know if 5 games I desperatly wanted were Xbox exclusive I would buy one, heck I was thinking about it to get KOTOR but will just get the PC version.
    GC IMO will never be in the same league as PS2 and Xbox. Fisrstly it has those stupid little optical discs so the GC can't play DVD's and CD's which is a reason why some people purchase an Xbox or PS2 for the convenience. Also IMO Nintendo from the 64 has turned into a "kiddie console" with too many games for young children and not appealing to the wider market. Games like Banjo Kazooie, Zelda, Super Mario, Lugie's mansion, Mario Party etc.

11. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I think that "kiddie" reputation is what's hurting Nintendo. But Nintendo does have mature games. There's Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness, and Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance to name a few.

I think that the GC has an even amount of perspective on the gaming world. It has its dark side, and it has its light side. Meaning that it has both dark and light games. :)

It does seem as though PS2 is the primary console of choice, at least in America, but I'm surprised that Microsoft could be seen as conquering Nintendo in the market. Before I bought my GC, I made inquiries on the JC as to which console to buy, and most of the replies I got said that Nintendo offers better quality hardware and software.

So, if Nintendo's quality is superior to that of Sony's and Microsoft's, then why aren't they at the top of the chart? :confused:

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> So, if Nintendo's quality is superior to that of Sony's and Microsoft's, then why aren't they at the top of the chart?<<

Mainly advertising- PS2 and XB are madeout to be sleek and hip.

Well, that and, in the case of PS2, Grand Theft Auto [face_batting]

Basicly, PS2 and XB managed to get a must-have title earlier than GCN did, whose first must-have was really Metroid Prime (not to say other games weren't really good), while GTA3 and Halo came out a year or so sooner.

I think you'll see XB start to drop off eventually, since hype can't sustain it forever (and, IMO, very, very few of their hyped titles are worth buying the system for), and it usually comes down to who has the best games (at least when in close competition- PS2 trumps that with quantity).

13. the_chosen_two

the_chosen_two Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2003
    PS2 obviously is dominating, but not this Spring:

From Gamers.com-

In its latest press release touting its North American sales success, Nintendo claims the best-selling console game, the best-selling portable game, and the best-selling game console in North America for the month of March. Nintendo's announcement offers no hard sales figures, and quietly omits mention of the publisher's nigh-empty release slate for the rest of 2003, but it's inarguable that Nintendo is having a fine spring on the strength of The Legend of Zelda and the Game Boy Advance SP.
    The Wind Waker initially shipped 1.1 million copies to the US market, and Nintendo states that retailers "are quickly burning through" that supply, although no sales figures are offered to back that up. Nintendo also claims a 20% jump in Gamecube hardware sales on the strength of the new title's arrival. Meanwhile, Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire have shipped 2.2 million units in the United States, supported by the shipment of 800,000 Game Boy Advance SPs to retail.

"At what is traditionally a slow time of the year for video games, Nintendo has seized the sales initiative," says Toys R Us game buyer Richard Simone. "With their blockbuster products Game Boy Advance SP, The Legend of Zelda and Pokemon, they're a big part of why video games are one of the truly bright spots at retail."

Nintendo dominates this Spring.

14. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    With a full year lead and good word of mouth from the PSX, the PS2 is killing the competiton. Then comes the Xbox and then the Gamecube. The only place where the Cube is in second is Japan. Everywhere else it's in third.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

15. Matador

Matador Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    It seems the majority of what I have to contribute to this topic has been said and said again. However I heard that Nintendo refuses to allow foul language in their games, due to their "kid friendly" attitude. Because of this many formerly loyal software companies, such as Square, moved to the PSX & PS2 over the past few years. This began during the 32-64 bit system eras and has continued with the release of both PS2 and GC. I dont have much info about the X-box save what has been mentioned above, so I wont waste anymore time with my bantor. Hope this helps...

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>However I heard that Nintendo refuses to allow foul language in their games, due to their "kid friendly" attitude<<

I don't believe this is accurate, as I recall, Conker had bad language- and I know that BMXXX wasn't censored on the GCN like it was on the PS2.

17. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    speaking from a retail pov..........ps2 sells regulary........xbox killed ps2 at xmas, due to the 3 games + console deal.....then sales collapsed when that sold out........gcn doesn't really register here in NZ sadly, distant third but i can order in any games that don't get released here

18. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Why do you think Nintendo wouldn't give sales figures to back up their claims for tihs spring? :confused:

And, do you think that by refusing to add DVD capabilities to the GC, Nintendo made a huge marketing error?

19. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    There were supposed to be separate DVD playing systems. I think Nintendo planned on licensing the hardware out to DVD player manufacturers so that they could play GCs, but things fell through. In Japan there is a DVD player / GC combo, but it costs more.

I personally don't buy the argument that GC sales are lower because it does not have DVD playing functions. It is the same price to buy a DVD player + a GC or just a PS2 or just XBox.

20. Verry

Verry Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2002
    Ya, Nintendo knows gaming, so it didn't try to screw around with it's system. The discs should have been at least half way between the current size and standard dvd size. They dont' hold enough data. Although they're fricken cool.

I have no doubt that they sold a ****load of SPs, Poke'mon, and Zelda. Maybe not as much, but alot of poeple all have the above mentioned titles, and if that's consistent with the rest of the U.S. then it's big time.

Ps2 is dominating. I don't understand why people still choose it over X-box and Game Cube

I love Cube and defend with what I got. But I also love the X-Box, just because it has some good games. Ps2 is just weaker, It's a year older, and the fact that people are still buying the thing boggles my mind.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Why do you think Nintendo wouldn't give sales figures to back up their claims for tihs spring?<<

Because exact figures won't be available for another week or two, and they wanted a press release to help support the Zelda, SP and Pokemon launches.

>>And, do you think that by refusing to add DVD capabilities to the GC, Nintendo made a huge marketing error?<<

I don't think so- it made their system the most affordable, smallest and streamlined in terms of function.

Besides, most people already have a stand-alone DVD player that would function 10x better than any console/DVD hybrid machine, so the feature is redundant to most people and would just be jacking up the price or nothing.

The disc size should have been a little larger, though- I agree. But it does give a greater durability to the disc (less area to scratch) and allows the GCN to have the best load times of any system, most of the time.

22. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I think one potential reason that the GC DVD player does not exist is because of the disc size. I think the only difference in the media of DVD, GC, PS2 or XBox is the GC size, so if the GC had a DVD player, it could accept full size discs, and then 3rd parties would not need to buy the GC size discs from Nintendo.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's not entirely accurate since there are Panasonic DVD players with GCN capabilities available in Japan, and could theoretically be released over here as well.

It's similar to how mini-CD's (like those early GCN preview discs) can play in all CD players (except for slot-loading ones).

24. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    When I said "does not exist", I guess I should have written "is not standard".

What I was trying to get at was that unless ALL GCs accepted full size discs, 3rd parties would probably not put out full size game discs.

I mentioned the Panasonic DVD player further above - I know about it. But it would never make sense to a 3rd party to release a GC game that does not play on most of the consoles out there. Even if they made both versions, how would they have any idea of how many to make of each type? I think from a practical business point of view, it would not happen.

Lastly, read times are faster for the outside of a disc, so Nintendo would have been better off making the disk full size, but only starting writing/reading it maybe at half radius for their proprietary disc format. Load times would then be even faster.

GC has better load times now probably because it has better reading routines (and a lot more memory than PS2). Nintendo's greatest concern for going to disc from cartidge was load time issues, so they've probably spent a lot more effort than XBox or PS2 on making load times as smooth as possible.

25. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Whatever happened to Sega? I remember back in the day when Sega used to be the one with the "hip" image. Now they're virtually non-existent...? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.