main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Which line to open?"

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by big_boss_nass, Aug 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big_boss_nass

big_boss_nass Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Nov 12, 2001
    I don't really open my figures, and I hear that the RotS and the AotC lines are really bad when opened is this so? I really want to start buying loose figures because they are cool as heck to display. Now to get more specific, I want to buy Destroyer and Battle droids. Does the RotS Destroyer droid look alright with the "Cannon firing arm" or should I go with the TPM version? Same question with the Battle droids. What are your opinions on loose figures, line wise?

2. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    I would go with the Saga/RofS Destroyer Droid. They are bigger than the Episode 1 Destroyer Droid. Plus the Saga/RotS has more detail. As for the Battle Droid go with the Episode 1 battle Droid. Every Battle Droid after that one is made out of soft plastic so they bend easy.

3. darcphoenyx

darcphoenyx Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    As a general rule that's not true at all...the majority of the ROTS line looks fantastic open, and most of the AOTC/Saga line looks terrific loose as well.

Unfortunately, the battle droids are a bit of an exception though. The Ep1 Battle Droids were much more sturdy than the AOTC/ROTS versions (which are both based on the same mold). In this case the newer versions are rather disappointing, so you probably are better of sticking with the Ep1 version. The POTJ security droid is also excellent, and possibly the single best battle droid Hasbro has released.

As far as Destroyer Droids go, that's a matter of personal preference. Each version has been inaccurate to a certain degree. The original EP1 versions were a little small and had incorrect flattened "heads" with dull color schemes. The AOTC/ROTS versions (again, the same mold) are actually more accurate overall, despite the obvious exception of the bulky action feature arms. The CW version is a an odd-ball hybrid of the two that is not only inaccurate but also very flimsy, and therefore best avoided unless you're a droid completist.

Here's some Rebelscum photo archive links for the Destroyers:

Ep1 Destroyer Droid (1999)
    Ep1 Destroyer Droid (Battle Damaged, 2000) - my personal favourite
    Saga Destroyer Droid (Geonosis Battle, 2002)
    Clone Wars Destroyer Droid (2003) - the same in both the Droid Army & Destroyer Droid Launcher sets
    ROTS Destroyer Droid (Firing Arm Blaster!, 2005)

4. Darth_Phineas

Darth_Phineas Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2004
    I've been really pleased with the AOTC and the ROTS lines. There are a few more of mine in the AOTC line that are a little more challenging to get to stand on their own, not as much with the ones I have from the ROTS line.

For that matter, I just buy two of everything. I keep on stowed away for safekeeping, and open the other one to display.

5. long_long_ago

long_long_ago Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2005
    Custom ROTS Destroyer Driod
    [image=http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/rieskywalker/destoryerdrioddiy.jpg]

it's easy to remove those missile firing things(and the trigger on back as well) and looks much better IMO!:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.