main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which Star Wars moment made you emotional despite not being meant to be that emotional or important?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Prime Jedi, May 21, 2018.

1. Prime Jedi

Prime Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Apr 14, 2018
    Which Star Wars moment caused you to become more emotional than the scene meant to?

For example, while it is meant to be a slightly emotional scene, the scene where Anakin says goodbye to Shmi outside right before they go to the ship in The Phantom Menace. Due to personal experiences, this scene is the most emotional part in the entire film.

2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I'm pretty sure that moment is supposed to be the most emotional one, at least from Anakin's point of view and for anyone with any sympathy for his and Shmi's characters. It's second overall in that movie only to Qui Gon's death.

3. Prime Jedi

Apr 14, 2018
    I had always assumed that Qui-Gon's death, the citizens of Naboo dying, and Qui-Gon's funeral were supposed to be more emotional.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, Anakin's leaving his mother was the emotional core of his story arc. It was so important for that moment to be strong and to resonate, that Lucas changed his initial idea of having Anakin as an early teen, because the scene would be more poingnant (and critical later on in the story) if he was younger. His attachment to her and inability to let go as a Jedi was what started his fall, and that's what the prequels and the saga is about.

The dying citizens are not really meant to be emotional. You don't see that happening. It's meant to keep the urgency and dramatic tension going. Qui-Gon's death is meant to be emotional too, yes. But the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    "Obi-Wan. May the force be with you."

"Goodbye, old friend. May the force with you."

Anakin looks down and away as Obi-Wan departs, with a look that's somewhere between anger and angst. Residual irritation over being left out on the mission, and not being made a Jedi Master - likely. Worrying about his friend, possibly. Knowing that this scene is the definitive end of their friendship has always gotten to me. Much like the scene between the two at the Jedi Temple regarding Anakin's assignment to spy on Palpatine, this is a well-staged/well-lit scene with great, nuanced performances from both Hayden and Ewan.

6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The sun setting on the Coruscant cityscape in TPM. It's honestly one of the most beautiful moments in the whole series for me and it's just a little snippet of quiet normalcy.

7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    ^ I wholeheartedly agree! Just thinking about that scene makes me a bit emotional, actually. SO beautiful!
    But that's Lucas/Williams magic for ya [face_love]

8. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I have not thought about that scene so much but I'm right there agreeing. It really is stunning and has so much emotion and sense of doom and sadness associated.

Luke staring at the twin suns I am sure was always meant to be emotional but I am going to have to pick it as I don't believe anyone expected when it was filmed it would have such a lasting and resonating effect. For many its SW. Not talking about the rubbish callback at the end of TLJ.

Rey igniting the lightsabre in TFA as well for me. I just thought it was an amazing moment where suddenly the events that occurred in TFA all started to make sense. There was something about the focus on the lightsaber specifically that was really nicely done. It showed a brutal and powerful weapon. Where Finn could not control it with any effect Rey held it sturdy with soft hands. It felt like the weapon of a Jedi. At that moment 40 years of anticipation came flooding back.

RO is just filled with them.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  9. Prime Jedi

Apr 14, 2018
    I stand corrected.:)

Another one from me is Dooku when Anakin defeats him. He looks so shocked that Palpatine betrayed him, and it shows what would have happened if Vader hadn't turned to the light.

10. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Here's a goofy one... when Chirrut is introduced in R1 as a random street guy proclaiming "May the Force of Others be with you". So cool to hear that old school phrase on the big screen and as the introduction to a great character (well, when I first heard it I assumed he would be cool, and he was) -- warmed my heart on first viewing and still does.

11. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    That's a brilliant one. I could pick 100 from RO and I would miss that and now would have it at the top.

I love the elevator scene. And when Jyn cries "Papa" on the hanger deck. She suddenly reverts back to the child when she was last with him and all the years in between are lost. There are quite a few with her actually as her voice breaks right at a point when you think she is close to crying but trying to stay strong. It introduces a softness and vulnerability. For anyone who thinks her performance wooden just listen to the sound for a bit. I think she is underrated. Another is just after K2 is destroyed and she realizes they are now on a one-way mission.

Vader on the bridge before boarding his shuttle and the sense of dread. The vista though is spectacular. And lastly, the Star Destroyers collapsing into the shields. It could have looked like a corny throwback to ROTJ and instead was really beautiful and emotive. The music at that point is perfect.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett and Sarge like this.
  12. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    That was the bit I came here to mention. I love all of the twighlight sun on Coruscant moments, with Obi Wan and Qui Gon talking, then in the Jedi Council, and finally the way the shadow grows on Padme's building with the music descending effortlessly with it. Really beautiful.

I also get a buzz watching Dooku's ship fly over the abandoned industrial area of Coruscant. There's something about seeing decay on inanimate objects from the passage of time that appeals to me, a bit like looking at photos of disused railway stations or swimming pools.

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Dooku's arrival on Coruscant is one of my favourite sequences in the whole saga.

Jedi Knight Fett, Blobofat and MS1 like this.
  14. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I agree with you about Luke and the twin suns. It was meant to be emotional but I’m not sure it was meant to be as emotional as I view it. I have always thought it was a memorably beautiful scene and it has really stayed with me. I get so much from that simple moment. My husband makes jewelry as a hobby and when we first started dating, he set a really cool stone that looks like that sunset and put it in a necklace for me because it stood out as something I loved so much.

I think the moment captures so much in terms of Luke’s responsibility to stay but his yearning to explore this beautiful, strange galaxy from our perspective. The shot itself is so simple, not at all like the special effects today that depict things like binary systems or orbiting planets. It’s grainy from the dust in the air, the suns look so far away, and it feels very real. It isn’t pastel or sparkly or unrealistically giant or partially obscured by out of place puffy clouds, which are hallmarks of these kinds of scenes today.

15. ChillCaladbolg

ChillCaladbolg Jedi Youngling

Dec 31, 2017
    Pretty much every single scene where Han and Chewbacca interacted in Solo.

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Every time a Rebel fighter crashes. :(

Jedi Knight Fett, Ava G. and Lukers like this.
  17. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I remember as a kid going to see ESB. They let us in as the closing credits from the last show was playing. When the love theme, Han and Leia played I was overcome with emotion and I didn't know why. The music was just so haunting and emotionally on another level even from the classic music in A New Hope.

18. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Han's very first look at the Falcon in Solo. Alden sold it and the music during that scene just gave me goosebumps the very first time. I can picture it whenever the cd hits track 10 in the car.

19. Lukers

Lukers Jedi Master star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    Does the ending of Empire Strikes Back count? I wouldn’t really say that it was meant to be an emotional beat (those happened earlier on) but there is just something so majestic yet bittersweet of Leia and Luke looking out at the stars, while the Han Solo & The Princess theme swells behind them. Like, all these terrible things had happened to them and they still had so much work to do but they were able to see the creation of something beautiful in space and knew they all still had each other. It makes me a little misty-eyed sometimes lol.

20. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Best ending ever, to the best movie ever. ^:)^

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    teamhansolo and Ava G. like this.
  21. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Seeing the Millennium Falcon take flight for the first time in The Force Awakens. It's not meant to be a particularly emotional moment, apart from being an exciting chase scene. But, seeing the Falcon on screen for the first time in years, and seeing it move like this... I don't know. It triggered something inside of me.

[​IMG]

22. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Agreed. There's a tragic and ominous undertone that makes the viewer want to enter the film and warn them about what's going to happen to their long-lasting friendship.

Star Wars has pretty touching male bonding scenes. Like how Han and Luke linger on one another in the Hoth hangar bay. Aww

23. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    In the beginning of solo when it says

......runaways are offered food and shelter in return for committing crimes.
    So sad! Poor Han! (he would hate me if he knew I said that ;))

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    The death star being blown up.....millions of loyal imperial wiped out by terrorists :_|

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  25. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    I dunno if this counts but I practically cry every time the Force Theme comes on, or even just listening to it in my bedroom ;):_| Even when it's a happy moment....