main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Who handles Star Wars better? George Lucas or Disney? (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by SW Saga Fan, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    And yet, the whole argumentation starts with the assumption that GL still reworked the story after JJ came on board until May 2013 which is not stated anywhere in the actual book nor Pablo's tweets, in fact it states the opposite. All that we know about GL's story is that it was going to be about a girl's journey to become a Jedi along with Felucia, Talon who became Jedi Killer (who started as a concept art in January 2013 and got the "Jedi killer" name in March 2013, around the same time Talon was dropped according to Pablo), Skyler (who based on his name and appearance I assume was one of Vader's grandchildren Lucas mentioned and became a stormtrooper in April 2013), and pirates. Luke in exile as a starting point seems to be one of his ideas he developped with Michael Arndt according to the Art of TLJ but the book also describes a much different dynamic than what we actually got. The neo-imperial superweapon didn't become a thing until March 2013 then the idea of a "sun-crushing" with the ability to take the energy of the star came from Dennis Muren in May 2013. Same thing for the snow battle and the Yoda-like mentor. Back at SW celebration they said in a panel that they moved some things around and made the villain Han and Leia's son who idolized his grandfather and the Art of the Last Jedi mentioned this decision was made in late summer 2013.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    A neo-Imperial faction. Luke "in a bad place" & in exile. A young female Jedi hopeful. Sounds like quite a few similarities to me.
    That's an assumption in itself.

3. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    A bad group to fight - superficial
    Luke has something to overcome - superficial (especially since Luke trains her in GL's version)
    Luke is on an island - that could mean anything (see any TFA pre-TLJ thread here) I'm sure if I looked, I could find one of your posts assuring others that Luke was there for the reason of research to defeat the FO. Because just going there to die would be something only TFA *haters* misread.
    New Jedi to train - superficial. Female - insignificant. We've had female jedi

Thanks for proving it wasn't just an assumption.

But let's be honest. Everything is an assumption. Including what you linked considering other people have said different things and at later dates.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    And Luke actually training a young disciple. Meditating and reassessing his life =/= It's time for the Jedi to end. And did Rey even stated she wanted to be a Jedi? Or did she want a belonging? If that was the story of 7, imagine what would be the story in 8 and 9? One thing I'm glad didn't happen is them buying into the gray Jedi nonsense (so far) with Force users using both light/dark side powers like in video games. Let's hope they that keep that to game mechanics.

5. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    "A bad group" :rolleyes:. Neo-Imperials were what they were called when Lucas & Arndt were fleshing out the story. If I'm not mistaken that's one of the main criticisms of the ST by the complainers. A rehash of the Empire. This is the second time Lucas has confirmed that the Imperials should continue post RotJ. The first being when he personally approved Zahn's story in his trilogy of novels.

How do we know Luke won't train Rey in Ep IX, & in between TLJ & IX? His conversation with Yoda, & his statement to Kylo at the end of the movie suggest that he will.

Martoto77 likes this.
  6. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    According to the recent novelization of RotJ and the From a Certain Point of View anthology, it seems like it's painful for Force ghost to appear so they only do at critical times in Luke's journey. Seeing Qui-Gon's Force Ghost would be really interesting to say the least since Claudia Gray kinda opened the possibility that he finished his training between TCW and ANH. Though I don't expect him until the very end of the movie like in a Force Ghost party.

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    The guy who created Star Wars.

8. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Is this even the question? The guy who created the SW or ...other guys? GL obviously, funny question.

9. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Yup.

They took a basic plot point (Luke in exile), but threw out everything else about Luke's arc. Rian even admitted that he had to come up with a reason why Luke was in exile.

10. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I guess it depends on your point of view. I like the ST better than the PT so far, so I guess "Disney," though I think it's going to depend a lot of whether or not you like where LFL is taking Star Wars. To me, Lucas lost the bubble some time ago, so.....

11. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    George Lucas

12. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    George Lucas may have had some "eccentric" ideas (e.g. JarJar Binks), but he had a vision, an urge to provide his trilogies with either a spiritual (OT) or political (PT) meaning / message, and provided his characters with believable motivation to act as they did.

In contrast I consider TLJ to be a massive failure of the Lucasfilm Story Group, that should have intervened when it became obvious that TLJ was heading the wrong way.

One of the red threads in the OT was the Skywalkers' behaviour, i.e. they save others and if necessary at the expense of their own lives (Leia, Luke and ultimately Anakin).

That the Force somehow saved Leia in TLJ could have been a suggestion that it wasn't her time, yet, to die. IMHO it should have been her, eventually sacrificing herself for the survival of the Resistance and not a new character that just came and went in TLJ (Admiral Holdo).

Already in ANH Vader said that the power to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the powers of the Force and Kylo Ren performed an impressive feat in TFA when he managed to pause a laserblast in midair for several minutes. So it should have come as no surprise that Jedi master Luke Skywalker withstood the barrage of blasts on that "salt" planet with ease, but ultimately it was because he wasn't really there but instead was able to project himself to that planet.

The Lucasfilm Story Group wasn't aware they created the ultimate can of worms with this new concept? Why didn't Obi-Wan and Yoda never team up (at least by the time of ESB) to either confront the Emperor or Vader by means of force projection but instead put all this burden on the shoulders of Luke, instead.

Admittedly Lucas changed premises during his six films and more often than once at the expense of some characters, but I'm confident that even him would not have make such premise changes or mistakes as those we had to witness in TLJ, thus IMHO he would have been the better choice in handling the ST.

13. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    George Lucas. Easily.

Though given the medium to long term impacts of his two trilogies, there may be a case for him not directing.

14. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    Definitely George Lucas, without him we wouldn't even have Star Wars. The Disney films had potential but fell flat on their face after TLJ. Important plot points from TFA have been omitted, certain characters personalities have changed for the worst, there's a bunch of unnecessary political messages, world building is non-existent and feels more like a fan fiction rather than something that moves the story forward in a meaningful way.

15. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Lucas in his later years barely handled SW at all. There were no further movies on the horizon. The live-action show was all talk that went nowhere. All we would've had to look fwd to was a cartoon series & a few novels [face_tired]

16. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    No, you have a point. In the later years, things did become a little stagnate within Lucasfilm, which happens to some studios(it's not a bad thing to cool down ya know?). Although the current approach of Lucasfilm when it comes to the films and material isn't quite ideal.

I'm a firm believer that time will fare better for Lucasfilm later down the road but I also think they need to slow down after 9. We don't need another Marvel machine.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darkslayer like this.
  17. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    I don't think they necessarily need to slow down. They just need to fire the Lucas Story Group.

18. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Agreed, but 1 movie per year isn't Marvel pace, which is 2-3 per year. The superhero genre is 4-5 movies per year. One annual SW film is fine with me.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Though with Han Solo, that will be two movies in a 6 month period.

Though, they've had multiple SW stories (books, comics, games, and tv episodes) a year coming out for years since 1991. A movie a year is too much? Movie people are light weights. I had a minor burnout during FOTJ but was still invested in other areas of the Saga.

20. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    "Kill them, Kill them now...."

"But it's not the proper business decisio-"

"Dew it".

I agree. The Lucas group needs to die out completely and never resurface. In some ways, they could be helpful but they shouldn't be mandatory. Do we even know who's hands have been inappropriately caressing these films?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  21. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    But then no movie for 18 months, so it evens out. Point is, one SW movie per calendar year (so far).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    True. Hope we get some good books, comics, tv series' in the meantime.

Darkslayer and Darth Downunder like this.
  23. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    THIS.

24. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Battlefront in the Lucas-run era, was easily better than the **** show culminating with multiple territories building up apparent legal challenges (eg. "micro-transactions are gambling aimed at kids"), that it has become under Disney licensing.

25. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    @Sith-I-5 I dont think you need to double post to express your "love" for Disney's addition to the SW Universe.