main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why Did Phasma Give In So Easily?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jedijax, Jan 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Sorry if it's already in a topic somewhere. I searched 5 pages deep and couldn't find one devoted to this.

We can all agree that Phasma was a pretty damn cool looking character who did pretty much NOTHING except give in easily to Han, Chewie, and Finn. She couldn't trip the code to get back up but instead easily agreed to lower the shields? If she is in such high command, why would she easily do that?

That was the one part of the whole movie that really bugged me actually. Not enough to prevent me from loving the film, but enough to make me think that this cool character was completely wasted. She should have been the one to fight Finn on Takodana and then take off. If she does more in Episode 8, then great, but now she's pretty much the one that allowed the heroes to destroy SK base? Something very weird about that.

Force22 likes this.
  2. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    She had guns to her head. Yeah she should've fought them off, but that would require her to not be a disapointment. :p

FN-2187 likes this.
  3. WookieeShampoo

WookieeShampoo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    She was not really in the position to fight them and there is a difference between being loyal and being suicidal.
    She could not pretend that the code was not working or push some secret alarm. Finn likely had too much knowledge about the FO to fool him.
    She should have tried to buy some time with arguing but there was not much choice for her. With Finn being her former subordinate and getting a bit too excited she probably feared that he might lose his patience/nerves soon.

Enkei and Force22 like this.
  4. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    She thought there would be troopers on their way to kill Han, Finn, and Chewie. The shields would be back up in no time.

5. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Loved the movie, but that was lame.

6. MilesEdgeworth

MilesEdgeworth Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    [Misogyny] Because she's a stupid woman [/Misogyny]

Because she heard about what happened to the immortal tr8r she didn't want that to happen to her.

WriterMan and Force22 like this.
  7. Tharionn

Tharionn Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2015
    Plot.

WriterMan, Shadojoker and MeBeJedi like this.
  8. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Well let me that I hope poor Phasma fives a better showing in Ep VIII. But at that moment, what exactly was she going to do?

9. FN-2187

FN-2187 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 6, 2015
    Every time I look at my Captain Phasma action figure:

[​IMG]

10. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    Phasma was pumped up to be a character that she wasnt.

Phasma was pretty much just an excuse to sell merchandise based on another variation of ST getup.

ramathorn1982 likes this.
  11. memmorio

memmorio Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2015
    Gun to her head and no way out.

12. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    She folded like a napkin. After all the character buildup she should have at least resisted somehow. This is clearly a dropped ball but not a big deal in the grand scheme of things IMO.

Shadojoker likes this.
  13. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    She's just a typical self-serving imperial. Her sense of self-preservation outweighed her loyalty to The First Order. I think she functions fine within the film, all the marketing turned her into Captain Merchandising.

3110jp and darklordoftech like this.
  14. AurilliusPrime

AurilliusPrime Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    Because that's what the writers wanted to do with her. They could have done it so she looks more bad ass in the next film in contrast. Perhaps some of her badassery got cut out in the editing room. Perhaps it was an in-joke. Perhaps she represents fascist authority and control so when her former subordinate broke conditioning, subvert her authority and stood up to her, she turned out not to be so tough. Perhaps she was just a comic relief counterpart to our comic relief secondary protagonist. Who can say? The character needs a rehab to restore her integrity. A few other characters need a rehab as well .

episodenone likes this.
  15. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    Tbh like Fett I think the fans are at fault for building her up to such lofty expectations. It is literally like Fett all over again but contained in one movie.

vaderfandan and Darth Lurker like this.
  16. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Phasma was something the feminist latched onto and Disney just saw it as a free ride. Let's be realistic Rey is a jedi... Finn can handle himself, what threat if Phasma?

She couldn't be less intimidating now. It's a shame, but she was apparently never intended to really be all that bad. She didn't really , she.... what can you say about Phasma? She gets owned and has about as big of a part as Daniel Craig had in the film.

17. MilesEdgeworth

Dec 22, 2015
    Actually, at least Daniel Craig's storm trooper tried to resist.

Yodahasgreenfeet likes this.
  18. Scout Trooper

Scout Trooper Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    to be honest , what should a character do in a movie with that amount of overpowered characters? even kylo ren had no chance.
    i know , the way of her defeat was wasted time and could had handled better..maybe they could have safed her caracter for the next episode and not make her role like this.

19. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    All's fair with her having guns at her head. But damn-have her do SOMETHING during the movie. The VF pic from May had her at the Maz castle. They apparently replaced her with another stormtrooper that got shot by Han.

For me, the weakest part of the movie was Han, Chewie, and Finn pretty my just waltzing into the fortress like they were trick or treating. Finn was a janitor. Have him lead them through an underground sewage tunnel or something. The whole SK break in was pretty damn easy for something so powerful.

20. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Because she's a smart woman. The type that knows how to avoid being shot in the head by a traitorous stormtrooper, or ripped apart by a wookie.

Dagobahsystem and Force22 like this.
  21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Phasma and how she was handled was the ultimate letdown. Basically, she was a cool action figure who, for some reason, no one wanted to play with.

episodenone likes this.
  22. Galactic Empire

Galactic Empire Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2016
    She's about as useless as Boba Fett. And yes the First Order was unnaturally lax in their guarding of Starkiller Base.

23. KWGerald

KWGerald Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015

yes, yes, YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! Boba Fett is the most overrated character ever. Don't understand the love for him at all.

24. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    I prefer to see her character as a parody of Boba Fett. Both characters had strong hype, and both were defeated in lame ways.

I wonder how it would have been if Phasma had fought Finn instead of TR-8R.

WriterMan likes this.
  25. MilesEdgeworth

Dec 22, 2015
    I was being a smart alec about the woman part. But on the serious tip, what do you think the First order is going to do to her when they find out what she did? I can't imagine it would be too hard to find out who lowered the shields when there likely aren't enough people with the clearance to do such a thing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.