main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didn't Obi Wan use the force to make Han fly the Falcon for FREE?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Fireant, Jul 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fireant

Fireant Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2002
    Some times Jedi's need to do things to make headway, like Qui Gonn try's to trick Watto into taking his credits.
    My point is old Ben needed a ship and a pilot (well I'm sure he could fly the ship him self even at a ripe old age of fifty) Why did he not just use a mind trick to make Han fly the ship for cheaper or for free....

I've had a think of this and in the long term Han would snap out of the mind trick and come to his senses..

2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Well, Qui-gon's use the the Force in that instance was kinda iffy, but Obi-wan used the J-M-T on the stormtroopers for defense.

The Force should be used for knowledge and defense, never for attack. The Force is only used when necessary, when all other means fail. Obi-wan knew he could get the required funds from Alderaan, and sometimes money is more powerful than the Force. ;)

Besides, there's no telling if the J-M-T would have been successful on both Han Solo and Chewbacca.

3. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    mind tricks only work on the *weak* minded.. i doubt Han was weak-minded

4. A_Puppet_Yoda_Is

A_Puppet_Yoda_Is Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2003
    Why doesn't he?

Maybe because Wookies are known to pull peoples arms out of their sockets. Obi's playing it safe.

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    well I'm sure he could fly the ship him self even at a ripe old age of fifty

57, actually.

6. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    And he still hates flying. ;)

7. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    mind tricks only work on the *weak* minded.. i doubt Han was weak-minded

My thoughts exactly. Han and Chewie are both strong minded people.

8. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    ...and wookies. ;)

9. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I've never heard of a Wookie.

Wookiees on the other hand, yes, are strong minded. That's why I said Chewie, though the whole species is strong minded too.

10. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Yeah, both strong-minded wookies.

11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    What Qui Gon did was to free Anakin from slavery. He didn't gain any money out of it. He just had his ship repaired is all, and it was his last resort anyway. Obi Wan had money to pay to Han, so using a JMT just so he didn't have to pay him would be wrong.

-sj loves kevin spacey

12. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    There's no way Obi could have tricked Han and Chewie. They aren't weak minded...

13. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Strong-minded? Yeah, but how about this?

Making Han fly them for free would have caused a yes-no kind of conflict in Han's mind. He's a mercenary, so he doesn't do anything for nothing. Being paid=good, positive. Not being paid=bad, negative. Very strong, pure associations that can't be easily changed. So, if Ben had used the JMT and said "you'll fly us to Alderaan for free", Han would automatically say no, since that yes-no conflict is at the root of his character. It's a very simple choice for him.

Now, if Ben used the JMT to beat Han down on the price, he probably would have been successful. No black or white, yes or no conflict there. It's more complicated. Han might be more willing to back down on the price since bargaining is also part of his character, and there aren't many hard-and-fast rules there.

Did that make any sense? I know next to nothing about psychology, so, to you folks who do know something, I'm sorry. :p :D

14. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I don't think it is very Jedi like to be using the Force for your own selfish reasons.

Anyways, Han has fallen for the mind trip on several occasions, or at least almost fallen for it. Luke has used it on him more than once.

EU of course.

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Han's my favourite character, but he's deffinitely still susceptible to a JMT. It's always been my opinion that 'weak-minded' was more a term for non-Force sensative people. It's not that they are weak or stupid, it's just that they can't know what's happening because they don't have the Force.

-sj loves kevin spacey

16. leia393

leia393 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    That would have been an abuse of the power of the Force. Obi-Wan would have been taking advantage of Han and Chewie, which would not have been right, especially for a Jedi.

17. effortless_skill

effortless_skill Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    i think a mind trick could have worked on han .obi wan is strong enough in teh force to do that .but obi wan is a noble jedi ,using mind tricks for gain is not a positive use of the force ,qgj used mind tricks like it was a toy ,i personaly did not like how he did that ,playinf with peoples minds is not to be taken lightly.the only two times we have seen obi wan use mind tricks were on the gaurd in the speeder and in the bar in aotc both times he used them coorrectly .qgj used mind tricks just to get his way .

18. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    i think obi-wan could have used the mind trick to con han out of pretty much anything but money.

"You will fly us for free."
    "I will--- wait, what? Force no, i ain't doing that!"

19. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    There was no need to. Obi Wan obviously had a huge account with the Bank of Alderaan. Or more likely had friends who did. Besides, Qui Gon did try to give Watto all the money he had and let's face it, was a bit shadier than Obi Wan. :p

20. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    This is insane!

QGJ had lots of money at his disposal (travel expenses and the queen's petty cash) and was willing to pay Watto without bargaining. The mind trick was for Watto to accept Republic credits!, the other "trick" he did was modify the dice roll for the slave bet, but I always assumed that the dice was loaded and Watto was trying to cheat so QGJ "removed" the cheat.

OB1 didn't have any need to trick Han or Chewie. He had the money and Luke had the Speeder to sell, plus he was sure that old pal Bail was wealthy and gladly will pay Han for the help. There is no need to use the Force.

Besides, the mind trick could have failed. It's difficult to know if Han could be tricked by the Force.

21. metaforcesaber

metaforcesaber Jedi Master star 2

Oct 13, 2002
    Since Han didn't believe in the Force, the mindtrick wouldn't have worked on him. Obi-Wan knew that.

22. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I think Obi-Wan didn't use the JMT thing because it would have been an abuse of the Force.

Obi-Wan was a very noble Jedi and cheating people just wasn't his style.

And I don't think Han or Chewie would have been susceptible to the JMT anyway.

Lady Sami

23. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    I think Obi-Wan didn't use the JMT thing because it would have been an abuse of the Force.

Obi-Wan was a very noble Jedi and cheating people just wasn't his style.

What about when he used the JMT on Elan Sleazbaggano? :)

24. effortless_skill

effortless_skill Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    agreed lady sami , like i said earlier using a mind trick loosley is abusing the force. qgj,did it at will, like he had the right to do so. he almost waved his hand every convo he had :) .now on the death stick guy ,he used it to change a mind state for the better ,obi wan got no gain from doing so ,to the guy that sold death sticks , he did not use the force to benefit himslef

25. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Because Han isn't weak minded I say

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.