main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why does Luke crash-land right next to Yoda on Dagobah?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Archetype, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archetype

Archetype Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2005
    I love Dagobah. The scenes there with Yoda are my absolute favorite scenes of the Star Wars movies, except for the scenes on board the Death Star at the end of ROTJ.

But... When Luke goes to Dagobah in TESB, he crash-lands his X-Wing a few minutes' distance from Yoda.

Is this astounding coincidence explained in any canon source, or does anyone have any cool theories?

Did Yoda know the X-Wing was coming from a ways away, and predict the spot where it was going to land? Or did Yoda actually somehow cause the X-Wing to crash in that spot? Or did Luke somehow sense Yoda's location ("there's something familiar about this place"), and point his X-Wing there? Or is Dagobah much smaller than it seems from orbit? :D

-Anton
    "All paths lead to now here."

2. TarkinsonsDisease

TarkinsonsDisease Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2005
    I would have to say, since Yoda had been watching Luke on Tatooine through the Force for 20 some years that he also used it to guide Luke's X-Wing down near his hut. Saves Luke a lot of walking plus he'd probably whine all the way there to Artoo. lol Are we there yet?! :)

3. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    The Will of the Force, I would say.

4. vikingjedi1

vikingjedi1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2001
    Yoda used the Force to make it crash so Luke would be stuck and he could test his patience. Or maybe not.

5. Mr_Burns

Mr_Burns Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 12, 2001
    It seems you can explain pretty much everything in Star Wars with either "The Force" or "Overconfidence." The former, in this case.

6. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    I also think that Master Yoda used the Force to crash Luke's ship. What good would it do to get Luke to Dagobah if he and Yoda couldn't link up before Luke left? For all his talk, I bet the Master fully intended to train the Son of Skywalker. He knew that if he didn't, Lord Vader and his Emperor would remain opposed by no one who could beat them.

7. BATTLELION

BATTLELION Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2005
    Yoda didn't make it happen--it was ARTOO!

No, but seriously, it was THE FORCE. THE FORCE WILLED IT TO HAPPEN. It was Luke's destiny to crash right there. Luke's meeting of Yoda was not planned by Yoda or Luke or anyone else for that matter.

The Force WILLED it to happen. Practically EVERY instance where characters met for the first time was willed by the Force. Qui-Gon says it best:

"Yes. Our meeting was not a coincidence. Nothing happens by accident."

What all of you guys MUST understand is that Jedi, Sith are only able to alter the Force here and there, sending "disturbances" and "tremors" here and there, but in the bigger scheme of things, the FORCE controlls what goes on.

The FORCE made Luke land RIGHT THERE.

8. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    I could be wrong, but didn't Luke focus in on a huge reading of life, which just happened to be Yoda

9. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Two answers:

(1) Yeah, I'm in the camp that says Yoda guided the ship to more or less the right general area of the planet, then scooted on over there. If he can flip and jump and bounce off walls, if he can lift a ship out of a bog, then he can presumably guide an already-falling object toward one spot or another. It's not like he had to hit an exact target.

(2 - the real answer) Because it's a movie. Would you have enjoyed an hour's worth of screen time with Luke and Yoda wandering around Dagobah looking for each other? :p

Rick McCallum loves you!

10. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    But didn't Yoda go to find Luke? He could have sensed his arrival through the Force and went to look for hikm, he kenw he was coming. Ben probably told him

11. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Because it's a movie. Would you have enjoyed an hour's worth of screen time with Luke and Yoda wandering around Dagobah looking for each other?

Depends. Would Luke get to cut off anything's hands during this hour?

12. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    The Force led him there.

13. Wesyeed

Wesyeed Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 5, 2005
    "The scopes are dead! I can't see a thing!"

"Nothing happens by accident."

14. UniversalDestiny

UniversalDestiny Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2001
    I think it was a test by Yoda to see if Luke could pull out of it. Obviously it failed because the X-Wing landed in the swamp and Artoo nearly got eaten by a creature.

Remember, Yoda tests Luke before he reveals his identidy to Luke.

15. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    I've always thought that when Luke came into the system, Yoda was using the Force in order to crash land the X-Wing where he wanted it to be. Notice how it was apart of Luke's training to attempt to remove the ship from out of the swamp.

16. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    Plot and time convenience.

17. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    Luke crashed that close to Yoda because the production crew only built one Dagobah set.

18. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    Since Yoda knew exaclty where to find Luke, it leads me to believe that he used the Force to crash the ship into the swamp. He accomplishes two things here, he doesn't have to walk a long distance to find Luke and he can test Luke to see if he can lift the x-wing out of the swamp. I don't blame Yoda for not wanting to trek all over Dagobah to find Luke, he is almost 900 years old in ESB!

19. Keyan_Farlander

Keyan_Farlander Jedi Master star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    The book Heir to the Empire establishes that Yoda screwed up Luke's instruments to guide him to the correct landing spot.

I always thought of it more as a "will of the Force" thing, myself.

Also, you have to consider that for some reason, planets do not seem to be the size of planets in the GFFA. They are more like cities. I don't think that's literally supposed to be the case, but that's how it comes off.

20. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    The Force is with him, always.

21. ROWANGOD

ROWANGOD Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2004
    Yoda used the force to mess with the xwing and the instruments luke used to fly it
    it was all part of his training
    skill - he didnt die, he managed to crash the xwing with no harm to himself
    patience - first meeting yoda
    respect of the force - xwing in the swamp, luke didnt believe it could get out
    yoda trained jedi for how many hundreds of years
    u think he knows how to plan ahead a little bit?
    come on

22. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    It'd be funny if Yoda used the Force to control Luke's crash, but miscalculated. He's there on a stump with his little hand stretched out, and the ship comes into view through the fog. He stands there, with his eyes closed, "Yes...yes..."

Then he opens his eyes and sees the X-Wing coming right at him. "Arrrggghhhhhh!"

Luke gets out of the crashed X-Wing, seeing he crashed on dry land and does the whole pouty "I'm stranded in the middle of nowhere, I guess this is the place I die after all" look on his face. And hops out. He steps on the ground and as he walks, the camera pans onto a little pair of legs sticking out from under the X-Wing, twitching. :p

23. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    And after the camera pans onto the legs, Obi-Wan comes out of the swamps and says, "Great job, Luke. You've just killed Master Yoda. I guess your father and the Emperor will never be defeated. Maybe I can find another hiding Jedi and train your sister, Leia, into defeating the Sith. See you around, you whiny clumlsy klutz. "

Walks away, muttering under his breathe, "And I thought Jar Jar was bad."

24. Snaggleass

Snaggleass Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2004
    Luke used mapquest.

25. GreatFox

GreatFox Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2003
    Luke used mapquest.

Best answer ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.