main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

why does luke give orders?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by QUEEN_LEIA, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QUEEN_LEIA

QUEEN_LEIA Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    at the end of ANH, when luke is going to start his attack run, he ordered biggs and wedge to follow him.

LUKE: (over speaker) Biggs, Wedge, let's close it up. We're going in. We're going in full throttle.

WEDGE: Right with you, boss.

i don´t understand why is luke giving orders to other pilots, if luke was the last pilot who joined the squad.

i don´t think he outrank biggs and/or wedge, he had just joined the rebelion. And more important why did wedge and biggs obey luke?

what was going on with the rebels authorities?

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    There was probably no pre-planned 'official' chain of command after Red Leader died.

BUT

If I recall correctly, Red Leader tells Luke to take Red 2 and 3 with him while he goes on the attack run. Red Leader has confidence in Luke--he knows his piloting abilities!

AND

Official chain of command aside, Luke is taking responsibility for the squad. Someone has to step up and be a leader. He has grown up a bit on his adventure, from whiny farmboy to someone willing and able to take charge and get things done.

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    i agree

AdamBertocci loves you!

4. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, he was just stepping up to show some leadership in a time of peril. I agree with what Adam said.

5. Gaeri

Gaeri Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 12, 2003
    I wonder what Biggs would have thought about taking orders from Luke. No doubt Biggs would have special knowledge of how good a pilot Luke is, but Biggs is a big Academy grad and older than Luke. That, and Luke hadn't even spent much time in an X-Wing, let alone with Red Squadron. Biggs followed the order quite willingly, but I wonder if he thought, "What's got into Wormie? Delusions of grandeur?"

6. Naboo1

Naboo1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    It was in the heat of the battle, and there were only a few ships left.

Biggs or Wedge were too late in taking command, so Luke stepped up to the plate.

7. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Combat experience does not make a soldier a good commanding officer, it's leadership ability. Wedge eventually progressed into being one of the greatest squadron COs in the Rebellion, but neither Biggs or Wedge were ready for leadership at Yavin.

Luke on the other hand was ready to lead, he is a natural leader and what he lacked in experience he made up for in charisma, sheer potential, passion, optimisim, etc.

8. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Here's what I like about Adam Bertocci: A lot of his posts are right on the money, such as the one above.

Here's what I don't like about Adam Bertocci: His posts tend to be so good that by the time he's done posting, there is nothing left for me to say.

:)

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Combat experience does not make a soldier a good commanding officer, it's leadership ability.

Exactly. There was a power void, Luke came forward to take command, and Wedge accepted his leadersip. That's more a function of charisma and personality than time spent in Rogue Squadron.

10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Red Leader told Luke to lead the next run, so that's what he did.

11. DeJade_Vu

DeJade_Vu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002

Luke was made a commander in the time between ANH and ESB I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.

12. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Yup, DeJade_Vu, he wasn't Commander in ANH, but in ESB. So either he was promoted sometime after The Battle of Yavin or had the delusions of grandeur Han spoke of in RotJ already in TESB :p

13. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    at the end of ANH, when luke is going to start his attack run, he ordered biggs and wedge to follow him.

Somebody had to take charge.

14. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Luke received command of Rogue Squadron when Commander Narra died in the ambush at Derra IV shortly before the Battle of Hoth.

15. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    Luke received command of Rogue Squadron when Commander Narra died in the ambush at Derra IV shortly before the Battle of Hoth.

So what does that have to do with Luke taking charge at the battle of Yavin?

16. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    He was expanding on TwIleKJedi's post.

17. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    He was expanding on TwIleKJedi's post.

If that is the case, he needs to address what he is responding to.

18. Darth_Banal

Darth_Banal Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 22, 2002
    Someone has to step up and be a leader.

And he did that in rescuing Leia from the Death Star, and also safely delivering the plans to Yavin. He likely received a lot of credit for that when Leia told the leaders of his exploits.

19. Mysterious_Assassin

Mysterious_Assassin Jedi Master

Aug 4, 2003
    Perhaps as a baby, Luke was given the honorific title of "Boss" from the Gungans, in recognition of his father's part in freeing Naboo from the evil clutches of the Trade Federation.

Obi Wan, after a night's drinking, may have told this to Biggs (but swore him to secrecy), and in the heat of the Battle of Yavin, Biggs used this title of "Boss" to address Luke.

Of course, since Biggs then decided to go and explode, taking out his X-Wing as well, he never got a chance to tell Luke of his reference to "Boss". And thus, Luke was forever in ignorance....

Or maybe not...

20. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I'm supporting the opinion that, since Red Leader specifically told Luke to take command of the last attack wave, Biggs and Wedge were being good soldiers by following Luke's commands.

An interesting idea to consider is: Is it possible that Red Leader gave Luke command of the last group...so that his 2 most experienced pilots (Biggs and Wedge) could provide cover for Luke's natural ability? Maybe it's just my watching too much football...but I'd rather have 2 veteran players blocking for my rookie running back in the final drive of the game!

21. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    That's an interesting interpretation. Perhaps Red Leader thought that Biggs and Wedge would be better cover than Luke would.

22. Gaeri

Gaeri Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 12, 2003
    Offense gets the glory, but defense wins the game.

23. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    If Porkins were still alive, this thread would be meaningless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.