main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why doesn´t Luke block Palps lightning?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Chester_Desmond, Jun 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr__Mauul

Mr__Mauul Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    Luke doesn't block the lightning because he has no idea it is coming. Even Yoda in ROTS had no idea either as it knocked him back pretty good. Yoda block Dookoo's because they already were in heated battle. On top of it all Sids bolts were probably 10x stronger than Dookoo's. Hence if Yoda could not block it no way Luke could'vde for sure

2. SixEagle

SixEagle Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2002
    "I think it is a plot hole"

Geez, everyone thinks everything's a plothole.

Luke's only been in training for 4 years, and really only serious training 1. Mace, who's been in training forever, is barely able to deflect it.

As others have said, I doubt Luke even knew what force lightning was. And I'm sure he's never faced it himself.

"Or, perhaps they were counting on Vader to turn. Perhaps, still, they were overestimating Luke's own abilities. "

I think 2 things.
    1) They told Luke he had to face vader. I think they were hoping that he could turn vader.
    2) It was more their last hope, really.

3. Darien_SabreHawkke

Darien_SabreHawkke Jedi Youngling star 3

May 29, 2005
    Neo dragon you are wise.
    luke was not scarred by the lightning becuase you don't get scarred by the lightning. the 3 threads in the ROTS forum cover that pretty well.

4. DarthVegas

DarthVegas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    Of all the Jedi training, you'd think Yoda would let him in on that one little secret.

YODA: Oh yeah, if the Emperor throws lightening at you, first, block it with your saber... then run like a mother*****r.

LUKE: Sooo... I shouldn't throw my saber away?

YODA: On drugs are you? Hell no!

LUKE: Er... okay.

5. That_Random_Jedi

That_Random_Jedi Jedi Master star 3

May 14, 2005
    Yeah, that and he probably has no fricken clue that it CAN be blocked. Of all the times to have thrown your lightsaber aside, huh?!

6. GarthSidious

GarthSidious Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    I Think someone already said this, but yoda is the only jedi we see who blocks the lightning with his hand. Obi-Wan and Mace Windu both use their lightsabers (though no one says they need to use their lightsabers, i will just assume they do). Yoda has been a Jedi for over 800 years and his connection with the force is greatest of all jedi (even if his midichlorion count is lower than Anakin's). if Luke could've blocked it at all, it would only have been with his lightsaber, or else we are proposing that he could do something many great jedi masters could not.

7. neo-dragon

neo-dragon Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Well said. Blocking force lightning with your bare hands is probably a very advanced skill. Yoda only had time to teach Luke the basics, which Luke would have to build on by himself throughout his life.

8. Darien_SabreHawkke

Darien_SabreHawkke Jedi Youngling star 3

May 29, 2005
    mini-chlorines /shudder

9. thesuperstarwarsfan

thesuperstarwarsfan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Luke foolishly threw away his lightsaber and he isn't experienced enought to deflect it with his hand. Vader even couldn't block it with his hand.

10. Chester_Desmond

Chester_Desmond Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2005
    THANK YOU Lord Amustar for understanding what I meant. Could everybody here at least consider what he wrote above before attacking my idea about a plot hole.

And Garth Sidious: Luke says I can´t kill my father. and then Ben answers "then the Emperor has already won". Apparently, at least Ben thought Luke were to kill Vader.

Cool down everyone! I was just considering a plot hole, not saying there absolutely was one.. =)

11. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    In the novels, he blocks it briefly, until palpatine increases his power. In the movie, he doesnt even try. However, in the novel, he is struck and knocked back by the initial blast before trying to block it

12. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005

Yoda told Luke not to "underestimate the powers of the Emperor". He did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.