main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why I think TFA is going to resonate with a lot of young people (and do very well)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Puke-Jaywalker, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I agree with you! The media really really loves that 'drama' so much!

Drama = Ratings

Kinda sad, ratings is ABOVE good common sense with the media!

I bet you there is at least 1 or 2 ratings-monger bosses at the media want another "Ferguson" to happen.

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i really enjoy seeing people get hyped for boyega's character. finn is more of a central hero character than lando or mace were. hopefully it will help bring more people to sw that weren't fans previously.

3. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    The STAR WARS movies have always been able to resonate with young people. It did between 1977 and 1983. And it did again, between 1999 and the end of "The Clone Wars" series. I'm quite certain that "The Force Awakens" will follow this tradition.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  4. Gerdschroder

Gerdschroder Jedi Youngling

Oct 5, 2014
    actually I am not so sure that they were the best actors. I think JJ Abrams wanted them in the movie for a very specific reason.
    Here is a quote from JJ Abrams
    We wrote these characters but when we went to cast it, one of the things I had felt, having been to the Emmys a couple times — you look around that room and you see the whitest ****ing room in the history of time. Its just unbelievably white. And I just thought, we’re casting this show and we have an opportunity to do anything we want, why not cast the show with actors of color? Like not for sure, and if we can’t find the actors who are great, we shouldn’t, but why don’t we make that effort because it wasn’t written that way and isnt that the cooler version of doing this as opposed to saying ‘this is an urban show’. It ****ing kills me when they call something ‘an urban movie’ like its a separate thing, like ‘its that thing over there.’

JJ Abrams seems to have a problem with white people, specifically white males. In american entertainment these days it's more and more common to pair a black male with a white female (very rarely the other way around) for example in the upcoming supergirl series.

I have seen Boyega in one movie "Attack the block". He was decent but I think he is hugely overrated. I know even less about Ridley's performance. Generally I don't oppose a black male and white female pairing on TV as long as it doesn't happen to frequently and of course it should also happen the other way around just as frequently.

However if it turns out that Fin gets paired with the daughter (even worse if it's the only child) of the white hero of the previous films then I believe that to be a huge **** you to the white male fans who supported Star Wars since the beginning. If you would have taken all the white male movie goers and buyers of merchandise out of the equation I don't think Star Wars would have cracked the 20.000.000 million Dollar mark in 1977 and thereforeit would not have warranted a sequel. Also keep in mind that the female moviegoers were probably there with their boyfriends and sons who dragged them to the cinemas.

I think white males also should have their heros and should see them prosper- seeing them have a family and especially biological sons so after the death of the original hero there is still someone there to take up the mantle.

I hope I haven't offended anyone but I think I am saying what lots of people are thinking right now, but are scared to say because some things are not easy to say in this day and age.

5. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    Star Wars requires that the actors can perform like the actors from the old serials that inspired George Lucas. Star Wars has had great cast but not everyone is a Daniel Day Lewis. I think Finn was picked because he fit best for the role. He was in competition with some actors with a more impressive resumes . I just think Boyega has the right vibe they are looking for. Daisy Ridley has the unknown factor but she got a sweet but tough vibe they were looking for. The diversity of the characters makes for a more interesting Star Wars universe IMO.

6. Gerdschroder

Gerdschroder Jedi Youngling

Oct 5, 2014

I don't think white men are being forced into movies. I think white men star in movies out of their own free will. Of course it's easier for white men in hollywood because hollywood was created by white men. I think it will also be easier for indian man to star in bollywood movies. The same goes for chinese, japanese and probably also nigerian cinema. Maybe Japan is an exception when you look at their animated films but if you look at movies with real actors you will also see that most of them star japanese actors.

People tend to forget that america has been mostly white (80%) until the 60s. Americans have been very welcoming the past 50 years, and they also took care of poor people (foodstamps, healthcare, childcare) many of whom weren't white who otherwise couldn't have had as many children.
    I feel that the descendents of people who were welcomed to the US are being kind of ungrateful. "We are also part of US now so you have to include us in your stuff" kind of seems like throwing the hospitality of white people back into their faces.

I know that not everyone is like that but sometimes the level of entitlement boggles the mind. And of course there are also many whites who feel that ethnic diversity in movies should be pushed because of "reasons". I think that only serves to confuse people. Gandhi also didn't fight for the rights of Africans in South Africa, and MLK didn't say that asians should be more included in popculture. But even so we have white people who think they have to fight for the rights of non-whites.

This also doesn't motivate non-whites to create their own blockbuster franchise. If I live in Brazil and I feel this urgent need to be more represented in Brazilian media I will write a fantasy or science fiction roman, or maybe I will fund another person out of my group to do it. Then I would ask a publisher who is part of my race to publish the book. If there is none than I try to publish it myself and I will target my own race as audience. If people with talent are involved it will be successfull. I think that's better than letting a franchise of another ethnic group be hijacked. Just look at Boondocks. It was made by a black person formainly a black audience but I as a white male love that show. I would never ask for huey or riley to be replaced by a white boy, because I enjoy the show as it is.

If we are being honest then we can say that 95% of white countries are pleasant to live in no matter your race and that it is very rare to be called racial slurs from a white person. That's why I think this push for diversity is totally uncalled for especially because we don't see a call for more representation of whites in non-white countries.

Back to Star Wars, even after the casting was announced people were still complaining that there is overpresentation of white males. But most white males are either old (Luke and Han) or the villains (Adam Driver). Only Pip Anderson and Dohnall Gleeson could be a positive representation of young white men in the movie. And it doesn't look like they are playing nearly as big a part as Boyega and Ridley. A pretty small percentage of white males if you consider that Star Wars was mostly made by white males.

Jedi Dragon D likes this.
  7. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    What a load of bullcrap on here - yawns [face_tired]

8. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    As has been warned numerous times in other threads, the "pushing diversity" and "hollywood agendas" line of discussion is a swift way to get a thread locked and if continually pushed there will be bans.

CoruscantDweller likes this.
  9. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    Well , this is the thread for social discussions such as these pertaining to TFA, if one feels uncomfortable by it , it doesn't have to be visited.

I personally have read some insightful posts and I don't post much in here at all

10. turnip white

Dec 3, 2014
    TBH I was only talking about what was specifically written on this page not the whole thread. Am not going onto more detail as it has been said the thread would be locked and people banned.

Han Drolo likes this.
  11. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    My bad, I kinda retraced back the pages after posting.

turnip white likes this.
  12. turnip white

Dec 3, 2014
    Its okay :)

13. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Whoa. Ive not spent a lot of time on this thread but did someone really just say they would have a problem if Finn has a relationship with the white daughter of a legacy character?

*backs out of thread*

sterling3763 and turnip white like this.
  14. Robert Merrill

Robert Merrill Jedi Master star 2

Sep 23, 2014
    I completely agree with this analysis. That's all I'll say.

15. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The racist undercurrent among Star Wars fans is evidence that they are mostly old white guys. Our nation's increasingly diverse and multicultural youth don't have much tolerance for this kind of thing, and if they reject Star Wars, one reason may be because Star Wars is too closely associated with those old white baby boomer racists.

Dra--- likes this.
  16. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Not sure Luke would be much of a Jedi Master if part of his meagre screen time is spent disapproving of his daughter's partner's skin colour.
    That's more the sort of thing that a baddie might do, isn't it?

17. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    idk what's going on this thread right now but the idea that the youth are rejecting star wars is still completely out of touch. and the fanbase is far from just middle aged white men lol. it has been for a long time. that's why a more representative cast will do well.

18. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    Why is racial diversity being discussed on a thread about the new movie resonating with young moviegoers? Aren't we going off topic here?

19. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015

pretty sure the first post included the racial diversity angle.

obviously positive race relations is a part of resonating with young people lol look at you guys trying to dodge the subject. :p

Dra--- likes this.
  20. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

Why hasn't the moderator closed this thread or issued another warning?

21. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002

Good question, this thread will be locked pending a cleanup of the past few pages. Racism of any kind will not be tolerated on these boards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.