main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why Obi-Wan leave Luke on the Death Star?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, Jul 28, 2017.

1. I never understood why Obi-Wan abandoned Luke on the Death Star if his mission was to protect him
    Was he looking for something or he wanted to face Vader?

DarthVerm likes this.
  2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    He left to turn off the tractor beam. If Obi-wan didn't make it back to the Falcon, Luke would at least have been able to escape because he and the rest were supposed to be sitting by the ship, not marching into the detention area.

If they had stayed there and left the moment the tractor beam was down, without rescuing the princess, all Obi Wan had to do was come to Leia in her cell as a ghost voice (assuming he merges with the force during a duel with Vader), ask her where the rebel base is (if Bail hasn't informed him of Yavin already) and then use his ghost voice to tell Luke where to take the droids.

3. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Wouldn't that have meant Leia's death?

4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I cant believe there is a suggestion that Obi wan would purposely leave Leia on the DS to die.

Erkan12 likes this.
  5. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    He couldn't save Leia and deactivate the tractor beam at the same time.

Nibelung likes this.
  6. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    He didn't know Leia was on the Death Star. It's only because R2 decides to hack the the detention records that the others discover this.

7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    He got lost after wandering off to find a bathroom.

8. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    He knew Luke's destiny lay elsewhere whereas Obi-Wan had one last opportunity to defeat Vader.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Are you trolling or have you not watched the film?

Subtext Mining likes this.
  10. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    Unlike some other desert-planet dwellers, Obi-Wan cannot be in many places at once.

11. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    paths in the force: obi-wan knew his path was different than luke's. when he parted from him, he knew that was basically the end. his end was with vader, to die by his saber.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  12. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Their might be a chance he was intoxicated by his return to space so made haste to the reactor giddy with the opportunity to take on his Nemesis forgetting all about Luke. "You'll be grand with Han and the Wookie now if you don't mind their have been a few Jedi tricks i have been practising for such a day as today." Off he goes dashing about ready for the duel.

13. Im not trolling

14. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I assume everyone is aware that the duel only takes place because Vader is waiting near the hangar bay for Obi-Wan to return to the Falcon.

Right?

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

The reason I ask is because it is stated outright why he left Luke.

OBI-WAN: "Plug in. He should be able to interpret the entire Imperial computer network."

THREEPIO: "He says he's found the main computer to power the tractor beam that's holding the ship here. He'll try to make the precise location appear on the monitor. The tractor beam is coupled to the main reactor in seven locations. A power loss at one of the terminals will allow the ship to leave."

OBI-WAN: "I don't think you boys can help. I must go alone."

HAN: "Whatever you say. I've done more than I bargained for on this trip already."

LUKE: "I want to go with you."

OBI-WAN: "Be patient, Luke. Stay and watch over the droids."

LUKE: "But he can..."

OBI-WAN: "They must be delivered safely or other star systems will suffer the same fate as Alderaan. Your destiny lies along a different path than mine. The Force will be with you...always!"

If you've watched the film, you'd know this. That's why I ask if you're trolling.

Obi-wan cannot take Luke with him because while he can fire a blaster, he's not trained for military scenarios like this and he's only begun his Jedi training. When he and Anakin did this aboard the Invisible Hand, they were fully trained Jedi who were experienced in the art of covert movement aboard a starship. Same with when he wandered around Geonosis and learned of the impending attack. He's not aware that Leia is there and that they will go after her. I mean, it is possible that he had foreseen this prior to leaving Tatooine, but overall, he had a mission that he knew that only he could take. And do so without getting into trouble.

Outsourced likes this.
  16. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Obi-Wan knew that he'd run into Vader. It was going to happen. Luke wasn't ready for that.

17. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    darth-sinister quoted

OBI-WAN: "They must be delivered safely or other star systems will suffer the same fate as Alderaan. Your destiny lies along a different path than mine. The Force will be with you...always!"

Always sounded to me as if Obi-Wan had a rather clear premonition of what was to come, in contrast to Yoda (and Luke) in ESB with a couple of days (and many variables) still to come.

So his path was clear, i.e. deactivate the tractor beam, distract the stormtroopers guarding the Falcon (to ease Luke's escape) and to have Vader strike him down, so Luke wouldn't come to his rescue and - last but not least - to assist Luke in the destruction of the Death Star as a Force Ghost.

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I don't think he knew precisely what would happen, but he had a feeling that the odds of his getting off the Death Star alive were very slim. With Yoda, he couldn't see precisely if Han and Leia would live or die. There were too many variables, as you said, versus Obi-wan who may have seen different variables. He also knew that if he kept Luke with him, Vader would learn of his existence before he was ready. Better to remain separate.

Sarge and The Supreme Chancellor like this.
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He wanted to face his fears and failures one last time.

20. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    If OB1 had joined Dooku, he wouldn't have fought so geriatric in ANH.

OMG. Will a Luke / Snoke saber battle be that slow?

21. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Uh.

What?

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  22. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
  23. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017

Its just that its a really weird thing to put on a topic about Obi-Wan leaving Luke on the Death Star.

24. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    I wish I knew what Luke was going to say.

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    He was gonna say, "But he can watch them." Referring to Han watching the droids, so that he can accompany Obi-wan.

Django Fett likes this.