main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why was Owen such a grouch?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darkcide, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkcide

darkcide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    He never showed the least bit of positivity in ANH,he just seemed like a grumpy old sourpuss.

2. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    If you had to spend the rest of your life raising Darth Vader's kid, you'd be grump-ass too. There's a very good chance you'd end up dead for that. Actually it was a 100% chance. Aside from that Luke was always out in that Beggar's canyon with that no good Biggs boy and dealing converters at Toshi. He didn't eat very well either.

3. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Yeah, I'm sure in came out of the responsibility of raising Luke. Owen and Beru were taking a terrible risk in bringing Luke into their home. Especially with Owen not being a Jedi. If Vader ever discovered Luke early Owen would have been unable to protect Luke if it had ever come to that. I think Owen greatly feared for Luke in being Vader's son and how that could affect them. Good or bad.

4. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

I think there was a certain ammount of him wishing that he had done more with his life. He was stuck on Tatooine his whole life, his life menial and revolving around those seasons.

If there was ever a reason to get grouchy, I think that was it.

5. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    I think he was an example of an average joe not in the Rebel Alliance who did not support the Empire. Luke doesn't like it, and I assume it's partly because he was raised not to. Also, I read that Owen was originally from Coruscant. So, if the place you were raised in was turned upside down, the government completely changed for the worse, I would think you would be a little upset as well. ;)

6. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    If you had to raise Darth Vader's kid, you wouldn't like it either.

I mean, Luke was pretty "whiny."

7. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    this reminds me of a thread that was around awhile ago.. and my answer is..

because he and Beru never had any kids.. not that it would be the kids that woulda made him happier if you get my drift.. 8-}

8. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    [face_laugh]

But, let's not take this thread in that direction. There's been enough of those lately, especially with the "blue milk" thread. (Or was that in AOTC forum?)

:p

9. darkcide

darkcide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    He looked pretty ragged too.Maybe he was a recovering alcoholic.

10. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    Not just raising someone else's child, but the whole circumstances of the Luke's birth, whether they knew there was another child elsewhere, knowing his stepbrother is DV, watching their worlds become a nightmare, and so on, and so forth, yadda, yadda, yadda..... Yep, understand why he is a grouch, and Aunt Beru is quiet and saddened how life has become so much more difficult since his dad's time. [face_plain]

11. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    How can anybody be happy living on Tatooine?

12. metaforcesaber

metaforcesaber Jedi Master star 2

Oct 13, 2002
    He and Beru never received any child support payments.

13. metaforcesaber

metaforcesaber Jedi Master star 2

Oct 13, 2002
    Actually though, I just think ol' Owen was trying to be an overly strict father figure to Luke, so that Luke would not be as likely to rebel. Remember, the his dad was a raging lunatic wizard, so Owen was trying to prevent any Dark Side tendencies by being moody. From a certain point of view, he and Beru were unknowingly conducting a nature vs. nurture experiment.

14. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    Maybe he wasn't attracted to Beru any longer and the nearest strip joint was Mos Eisley. And we all know that's no place for a moisture farmer...

15. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    You'd be grouchy if you had to eat the crap he did. But I do like the recovering alcoholic theory, maybe Ep3 will enlighten us!

16. Darth_Tate

Darth_Tate Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2003
    Yeah Lightsabre, because Beru was so sexy when she was young, but living in the desert really spoiled her good looks after she hit forty.

17. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    too many years of working too many hours with little to no pay and nothing to show for it other than more dirt and lotz of hostilities from the sand people (Tusken raiders). [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.