main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why was the Peace Brigade allowed to exsist?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sabrajaguar, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabrajaguar

Sabrajaguar Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 22, 2001
    I don't understand. For a People who hunted down nearly every Imperial loyalist they turned a blind eye to Traitors selling private citizens Jedi and Non Jedi alike to Yuzzahn vong.

I dosent make sense to me. Is there a any explination I missed?

Marvel comics Friends of Humanity has spouted out better explinations for there wrong doing.

The Vong are Unstoppable.
    After what? The first initial battles. And not to mention the Peace Brigade has Sabatoged many Panatery Defense nets.

Its he Jedi's fault! They Prevoked the vong.
    Its all a Jedi plan to Rule the Galaxy.

If the Jedi wanted to rule It would be pretty easy. Especialy considering How spineless the native Populas of the GFFA are.

I do not know. Is it possible I have missed something?

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    For a People who hunted down nearly every Imperial loyalist they turned a blind eye to Traitors selling private citizens Jedi and Non Jedi alike to Yuzzahn vong.

First of all, the NR didn't hund down nearly every Imp. They fought and hunted the warlords who were actively threatening them, or political targets so that they could get to the others. They made peace with the Empire eventually. Second, the NR didn't sanction giving Jedi or anyone to the Vong, but individuals and constituent planets are scared, and being desperate are willing to commit any atrocity for a chance at survival. If this means selling out the Jedi, so be it. As an entity, the Peace Brigade has to be allowed to exist, the same way, because the United States is a free country, any number of hate groups are allowed to exist, up until the point where members start breaking the law. Then, those members are stopped, not the whole group. When an individual PBer breaks the rules, if the NR finds out, it's they're responsibility to try and stop them, but they can't make it illegal to be part of an organization that as a whole is trying to survive, unless that organization is perceived to be threatening the NR itself.

The Vong are Unstoppable.
    After what? The first initial battles.

After two years of them being seen to win.

And not to mention the Peace Brigade has Sabatoged many Panatery Defense nets.

PPOR

Its he Jedi's fault! They Prevoked the vong.
    Its all a Jedi plan to Rule the Galaxy.

That, sir, is called propoganda, and works because the people are fueled by desperation -- they want to survive and will do anything to ensure their survival.

If the Jedi wanted to rule It would be pretty easy. Especialy considering How spineless the native Populas of the GFFA are.

I disagree.

I do not know. Is it possible I have missed something?

Anything's possible.

3. Sabrajaguar

Dec 22, 2001
    The Pece Brigade has Disrupted Planatery defense capabilities. If the Klan Cut of Costgaurd Communication During a Nazi invasion the Lot of them would face Capital Offense charges if caught.

The peace Brigade Dissrupt and activly work against the New Republic government not just the jedi.And Sell Refugees out to the vong.

As for there propaganda I have heard better from B5's president Clark. And His propaganda was so chessy anti-Clark forces sprouted up every where.

4. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Stupidity. That's my response.

5. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

As for there propaganda I have heard better from B5's president Clark. And His propaganda was so chessy anti-Clark forces sprouted up every where.

Clarke's propagranda had created the Night Watch which damn near brought Babylon 5 to its knees and saw a lot of good people executed or imptisoned.

6. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    There are still quite a few books where this issue can be explored. I can see this being the center of a paperback duology between HC4 and 5.

Maybe Anakin will bring them to jusitce ;)

7. Thief

Thief Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 29, 2001
    That whole "treason" thing is too old-fashioned for the New Republic to use.

Why do they allow the Peace Brigade, a subversive and actively collaborationist entity which gives aid and comfort to declared enemies of the State?

'cause the New Republic is dumb. Really dumb.

8. Arabwel

Arabwel Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2001
    Apparently lots of people refer to B5 here... Not that I'm complaining. :)

Ara
    (I... hate... life... someone... give.. me... a... new... one...)

9. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I love the bit in EoV;R, where Anakin is discussing the Pace Brigade with some police guys. That illustrates why the PB is allowed to exist; support for them runs through every rank of the Republic, from local officials to entire planetary populations, to the central Senate (Viqi Shesh) - or at least it did until SbS.

Here's the excerpt from Eriadu:

"Let's back up," Themion said. "You saw the Rodian struggling with the Peace Brigaders. Rodians are a vile, murderous lot. Did it ever occur to you that maybe he had done something? That the officers of the Peace Brigade were just doing their duty?"
    "The Peace Brigade is a collaborationist organization," Anakin said hotly. "They sell us out to the Yuuzhan Vong."
    "The Peace Brigade is a registered organisation," Themion informed him. "They are licensed to make arrests, and to deal with those who resist arrest."

Note the xenophobia the PB are taking advantage there - he's just described an entire race as 'a vile, murderous lot'. The PB have support because they're taking advantage of pre-existig prejudice and distrust. (They probably use the local situations to their advantage in a similar way to Nom Anor on Rhommamool.)

10. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    I think it's pretty reasonable to assume Nom Anor may have been behind it. Stirring the NR pot like he did the Imperial one in CEII.

The fact is, from the very beginning, the Peace Brigade was a fairly strong force. Therefore, it's groundwork had to have been constructed long before the invasion in VP. It can't make it to the highest levels of government that it's reached in the span of two years.

I'd say Nom Anor is the unseen Chairman of the Board of the Peace Brigade.

11. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2001
    Does the peace brigade even have a standing army or navy? Or are they just made up of spies and assassins and instigaters.

12. Sabrajaguar

Dec 22, 2001
    They Have a collection of Rag Tag vessles. A little military hard wear. Some Vong weapons. And are besed on Yelsea. Theat stupid hutt world with the Addictive rhino and flesh eathing fungus.

Personaly I would have Aimed Centerpoint at that planet and fired.

13. Aldaric_Brandl

Aldaric_Brandl Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 31, 2000
    Why was the Peace Brigade allowed to exist?

If you think about it, the Peace brigade has the ability to operate against the Republic in much the same way as the Rebels did against the Empire.

They've only got a small ragtag collection of ships. If the Republics Fleet or the Imperial Navy could bring them to battle in a stand up fight, they would be crushed. However, the Fleet has other things to worry about and simply can't spend the manpower for a system to system hunt.

Simply put, the Republic simply can't stop the Peace Brigade. For every Brigade force they bring to battle another will slip past.

<fanatical propaganda>Also, the Republic is dumb and deserves to be replaced by the Remnant.</fanatical propaganda>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.