main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wigs

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Karma, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    So I've decided to give in to peer pressure and get a wig for my Padme battle costume getup. My blonde hair just wasn't cutting it!

Anybody know a good place for a reasonably-priced long brown wig? :)

I've never worked with wigs before so I'm leery of getting one...if it's pulled back into a ponytail, won't the wig show in the front? What's the best way to hide my own hair? It's shoulder length, won't it be all lumpy under the wig?

Thanks for any suggestions,
  2. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    Ohh, here's something I know about: fake hair.

Wilshire Wigs has allot of cheap wigs including a few SW-inspired ones.

You might also try local beuaty shops. They carry lots of fake hair, which is what I am using for my Chewie costume. You could try making your own wig using that stuff (get the KaneKalon hair which is 1.99 per bag, the cheaper stuff isn't any good and will melt easily). Beuaty shops tend to carry allot of lower priced stuff than wig or hair shops.

3. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Hi, Karma!

Wigs can be really tricky when attempting any look that would normally have an exposed hairline (like Padme's battle hairdo)...

I think, unless you know someone who is really good at prosthetic hair dressage to deal with the hairline issue, you may be better off just sticking with your own hair. The more natural look of your own hair (even if it's not the character's color) will compliment this costume better than a wig that looks, well, like a wig.

Just my opinion, of course...
    Your mileage may vary.

-sg

4. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Yeah, I agree with SG. Though I have seen some nice wigs with a 'flesh coloured' rubber(?) centre part, which would do well for that style should you choose to adapt the hair style:)

Now you might be able to find a wig place that has wigs on a 'lace' which is fine enough that it doesn't really show at the hairline:) While working on Jack of All Trades there was a woman who was hand knotting hair for a moustache... man it looked like a lot of fiddly work;) Which explains the cost of top quality wigs:)

5. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    I've a question-- when you say your "blonde hair just wasn't cutting it," what do you mean? Was it not long enough for the style, or is it the hair color itself that's bothering you? Myself, I always like to see people use their natural hair color, even if it's not the character's hair color. I love seeing blonde Leias, redhead Padmes, etc. And since I assume this is Ep2 battle costume we're talking here, my suggestion would be to make a hairpiece, like they did for Natalie, and fasten it onto your own ponytail. Even though the hair is the "wrong" color, I think it'd look much better than a wig.

If you *are* set on a wig, though, I have a couple suggestions, as our Leia in the Musical Edition wore two (made by a wigmaker for the San Francisco Opera-- it's good to have contacts!) We put her hair in pin curls, and then a stocking cap over that, to go under the wig. We also colored her hair (very temporary stuff, washes right out) at the edges, where the wig didn't quite cover. From stage, it looked fantastic, and even stood up to pretty close inspection.

Caitlin

6. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    My hair is long enough to pull back, but I've gotten numerous "constructive criticism"s saying I need to have dark hair, ala Padme. Personally I'd rather not have to bother with a wig. Comments have come from the more die-hard costumers I know, not the casual observer, so this is more like a 'finishing touch' to my costume if I can make it work.

7. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    In that case, you might want to try one of those shampoos that tints your hair then washes out in the next shower. You might not get your hair as dark as you could with a wig, but it would be cheaper and you wouldn't have to deal with keeping a wig in place and looking natural.

8. Fall-on-Jin

Fall-on-Jin Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 22, 2001
    I was thinking about a wig as well, because it would come in handy for a fanfilm. (no, it isnt for personal use, i am only 16!!!) The look im after is shoulder length and unkepmt, almost like Leonardo Di Caprio does in "catch me if you can" (once he has been captured).

OK, now for another type of description, one which you might come to terms with. THe character i am playing has been abandoned on a planet for a long time, (10 years +) so he should look 'rough'.

For those who have seen the movie or have any idea what i have been talking about in my mad ramblings, any help would be appreciated.

Thanking you kindly in advance,

Fall-on-Jin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.