main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ark Wii!!!!

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Wet_Fett, Nov 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wet_Fett

Wet_Fett Jedi Master star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    Alright guys, it's almost time! This saturday people will flock to stores everywhere to wait in line for the all amazing Nintendo Wii! Do you have one reserved or are ya gonna do the wait in line like a real man (or woman)? I know i'll be in line bright and early saturday till 12:01 AM Sunday morning! Who's Pumped?!?!?

/fett

2. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    So, waiting in line of a wii...
    My kid wants one.

But, today at the Conway Wal Mart on highway 65 there was already a line for the Playstation 3 and they had been there for since yesterday.

But, there arent' as many of the PS3's as there are going to be Wii's.

Do you know the price break on the Wii?

3. Wet_Fett

Apr 24, 2002
    The Wii is gonna be $250 and it is well worth it. Comes with System, Controller(sweet), Wii sports, and needed cables. I love that it is coming with a game! It isn't just for kids, i mean with titles like Red Steel and many more, it'll be for the older people too.

The PS3 is worthless atm, i mean $600 for a system that is most likely gonna break and might not even play old PS2 or PSX titles and the launch titles aren't even that good. I'd wait atleast a year or two to get one. The price will go down and the quality will go up and better games will come out.

I'm trusting that nintendo, being the awesome people they are, will make sure that the wii will work correctly. Heck, i don't even care if it breaks, Nintendo is still fixing 1st gen Gamecubes! That is really awesome.

/fett

4. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Didn't meant to sound like I thought it was just for kids...

I want one because the guy at gamestop said there's going to be a star wars game where that weird controller thingy is like your lightsaber....

I want it.

So, where you getting yours at?

5. Kamikaze_TIE

Kamikaze_TIE Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2006
    Well the guy at the gamestop was right they are going to be making a star wars game to where one of the controllers will be your lightsaber i dunno the name of the game i did remember but now i dont :( but i know I will be getting a wii myself but i dont think they are 250$ I think the last time i heard they are starting at 400 for the base extra pak and i think its 350 for just the base i might be wrong and yes i dont plan any one getting a ps3 they are horrible

6. Nyborg13

Nyborg13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2004
    The base price is $250. Wal-Mart.com will have a bundle pak available for around $550, it does include some games not sure how many though.

ShadowScout out

7. Wet_Fett

Apr 24, 2002
    I am going to the Newer Wal-Mart in Conway...on Dave Ward, I think. Heck, i've lived in this city for about 15 or 16 years and still don't know the streets. I am gonna try and be there bright and early saturday morning at 7. I am really looking forward to The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Yes i have heard of this game. Should be a year before it comes out though. It truly does look amazing.

How bout that Star Wars game for Nintendo DS and PSP? Star Wars: Lethal Alliance! it looks awesome.

Edit: WalMart said they are only getting 20 systems.

8. Wet_Fett

Apr 24, 2002
    OMG! after 19 hours, i got my Wii and Zelda...it is truly amazing. I recommend this system and game to anyone looking for fun in a system. If you are looking for useless crap...go ahead with the PS3 and the Xbox 360.

the PS3 is truly useless crap. Awesome Processor, Awesome Video, 128 MB OF RAM! most crappy computers have atleast 256.

9. VADER312

VADER312 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2005
    This thread was brought to you by nintendo inc......

10. WeyrleaderZor

WeyrleaderZor Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2006
    Just as a side-bar... When you add the $200 hard drive feature into the XBox 360 you're pay just as much for a less powerful system that has limits on some of it's games they don't tell you about (such as the ones that REQUIRE hi-def to play them at all, or the one (I forget which the CNet article writer was playing) that was $70 and needed content from M$'s "XBox Live" service, only to discover during play-testing that the service was "not yet available" and was slated for a "late spring development" completion. What gives with that?) In addition XBox Live is NOT free, nor is Nintendo's "NES and SNES retro-games download" service. Which is cool as all get-out, no arguments there.

BUT, PS3 WILL play all PS2 games, and MOST PS1 games (but those are ONLY 32 bit - which is where the trouble starts). Most PS2 games are 32-bit with higher memory accessible given the hardware availability (My PS2 with the Hard Drive ROCKS on ESPN's NFL 2k5 with full motion video replay during Chris Berman's halftime show and the "see every play in review any time during the game" feature); but PS1's specs were MUCH lower and the ability of the higher end hardware to mimic that is just so hard. It's akin to why Albert Einstein had trouble putting his socks on, but could understand and easily crank out some of the most complex physics and mathematical formulas and calculations ever thought of.

But from what I've been reading, ALL PS2 games are safely played on PS3. And with Wifi and a 60GB Hard Drive on that higher end priced model it is a leg up (two or three) over other systems. It can (both models I believe) handle up to 7 wireless controllers out of the box without anything extra - too cool.

Wii (stupidest name ever, "revolution" as the development codename used was far better) does have a nice idea of putting a game with the system again. I miss that from the Genesis/SNES/TurboGrafx 16 days.

11. Nyborg13

Jun 28, 2004
    I heard that the PS3 has some major problems, overheating, freezing up every couple of hrs and having to be rebooted, etc.

Don't know, don't really care, but that sure is a lot of money for a piece of crap.

ShadowScout out

12. WeyrleaderZor

Sep 10, 2006
    I don't know about that, it's hardly been out long enough to be tested by home users to have that problem. I KNOW they had some problems like that in development, which is why (partly) it is out now instead of this past spring.... They actually had a shred of decency and didn't do the Microsoft thing (that followed a few months later- PS3 WOULD HAVE beaten XBox360 had it launched on time) and put out a known-faulty product.

XBox 360 was launched by M$ in a faulty state and had TONS of problems of overheating and serious RAM failures (I think the worst I heard was a poorly wired DIMM slot causing an electrical burn smell and potential for frying the RAM DIMM - don't know if that's widespread or entirely true as I don't have the source article to confirm or refer to). It was so bad that stores had a "no questions asked" return policy for ANYTHING XBox 360 for quite a while after the initial launch of the console. Took M$ a good 8 weeks to release the very limited quantity "revision B" models of the console, which are about as numerous NOW finally as the non-returned stock and purchased models initially sold.

So, that's nothing new if it is happening. I don't think I've head a single PS3 complaint yet of the 400,000 people that got one (well 380,000 I guess is more accurate, surely some are Christmas gifts and E-Bay bait for mega-money auctions).

13. Wet_Fett

Apr 24, 2002
    lol, i love how Microsoft and Sony can put out faulty products on the market. It amazes me how many people are dumb enough to buy it right when it comes out. I waited for my 360 and have had no problem with it. I was contemplating camping out for it, but thought better of it and i was glad. The Wii on the other hand, i knew would last cause my original Game Boy (the big clunky one) is still in perfect condition. I dunno, Nintendo just makes better products for some reason, takes all the other guys awhile to catch up. Seems to me that Sega did the same thing, except when it came to the Dreamcast, that thing broke like crazy, but it was an amazing system none the less.

14. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    I actually heard that PS3 doesn't play all the older games... like nearly 200 titles can't be played (though a fix for that is supposedly forthcoming...)

15. WeyrleaderZor

Sep 10, 2006
    Wet_Fett - actually Sony delayed their launch to avoid putting out a known faulty product this time... Unlike the mini-PS1 design which was a disaster.

SEGA had always had better systems than the competition... My Dreamcast still runs today without any problems. I love that little thing. It was a good machine for it's day too, just as typical with their history, poorly marketed. They remind me of Apple Computers. Very good computers, great OS (both easily head and shoulders above the competition); but sucky marketing leaving them behind all the time.

BUT SEGA did do the NFL 2kX series games, AWESOME! So good that EA was scared and took up a deal with Microsoft (who half-funded the incentive offer) to broker an exclusivity license with the NFL/NFLPA so ONLY Madden would be licensed to be an official NFL game with real teams and players. They did it to undercut NFL 2k without needing to compete and innovate (which from talking to players of the new madden game, they cut features, have seen NO gameplay or graphical changes from the previous version, and all the "extras" are gone - basically it's a football game without practice, without the side-bar games and collections things, just football in exhibition, season, or dynasty (essentially)). Sad. Too bad, NFL 2k5 was hands-down the best game I'd played in the genre in a LONG time. And I have a lot of sports games - great to play with a lot of people. *LOL*

16. Nyborg13

Jun 28, 2004
    Heard about the problems on a radio station, some guy called in on Friday morning, he had been up all night playing games on it and was having major problems.

17. Wet_Fett

Apr 24, 2002
    Heck yes they delayed it...but still released a faulty product none-the-less.

did they ever get that processor core problem fixed?

18. WeyrleaderZor

Sep 10, 2006
    Yes. According to the CNet reviews (I like CNet, cool that geeks can have that much fun and get paid for it) about the systems (URLs below) the PS3 is not nearly as hot or loud running as the XBox360; and they tested that on a continual 3-hour play time. Like all things though it won't be perfect. One comment in there about "backwards compatibility" that I found to be news to me, PS2 and PS1 games almost universally run without a hitch. It is XBox360 that has a "limited support list" of XBox titles that it can run (again see the article below about that b/c I didn't put much time into that, not really a concern for me).

PS3 Article:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PlayStation_3_60GB/4505-6464_7-31355103.html

Wii Article:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_Wii/4505-6464_7-31355104.html

XBox 360 Article:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Microsoft_Xbox_360_20GB/4505-6464_7-31355096.html

An "overview" Article about all three systems:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6464_7-6551960-1.html

All in all they all have nice features unique to their machines, but in the end I think it will come down to who has the money to afford the other two over the "Wii" (still hate that name though, despite that the motion controller thing sounds interestingly fun to play with - even if it has destroyed at least one laptop screen ((See the guy's self-bashing comments: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/archives/a-cag-proves-wiimote-wrist-strap-is-useful.php)).

19. Wet_Fett

Apr 24, 2002
    I love how they have this awesome bottle-neck in the 256 MB of ram. gah, that is sooo great!

and by they i of course mean PS3

20. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    Or....

You could go out and sink $500 into a PC that contains a 300GB hard drive, 512MB Graphics Accelerator with HDTV output, 2GB (or more) of RAM, Audigy sound card and few controllers and smoke all of these gaming consoles. Oh, and did I mention upgradeability? ;)

21. Wet_Fett

Apr 24, 2002
    well, i'm one step ahead of you. i sunk 900 in a gaming computer and it smokes them all. 1 gig, 160gb hd...i could go on and on about the thing but i think i'll stop there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.