main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Episodes 7, 8 and 9 be made after all?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Ulfor-Bombaasa, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I think of about ten: Luke, Han, Darth Vader, Princess Leia, Ben Kenobi, R2-D2, C-3PO, Lando, Yoda, and Chewbacca.

Also Wedge.

Make it twelve if you're willing to count the Millennium Falcon as a 'character'.

2. starwarsobesses

starwarsobesses Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2008
    For me Star wars is about the Skywalkers. When I think of Star Wars i think of Anakin, Padme, Luke, Leia, R2-d2 and C-3PO.

3. KING_KENOBI

KING_KENOBI Jedi Master star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    I almost hope there will be an 7-9 ,expecially if they debumk the lates post ROTJ EU,when I seuch Star Trek like plotline like the whatyoucallit..yuhzan vong?(this is just the last seasons of Babylon 5 rehashed for Star Wars) actually makes me cringe ...Star Wars for me is The Empire vs. Rebels/others..this particular piece of EU doesnt feel like Star Wars..C'mon...planet shaping?? mysterious alien race?eh..this isnt trek or B5 its START WARS..

4. KING_KENOBI

Oct 19, 2004
    whoa sorry for all the typos,wireless keyborard halfway out of range:p

5. stranger-danger

stranger-danger Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2009
    Its been stated repeatedly in this thread that there is no room left in the closure of ROTJ to expand on the story. People cite the Emperor's death, Anakin's redemption, the defeat of the Empire and the prospective future of the Jedi Order.

However, I find that there is still ample room left to continuu the saga. Specifically, in the context of the films (assuming that all EU happenings are disregarded), the Empire is far from defeated, and the future of the Jedi is far from hopeful.

It would be impossible for the Emperor to go for more than 20 years without appointing some sort of heir to the imperial office. I know that he used a military to oppress the general populace from questioning his rule, but the governers/generals who directed those forces would demand some avenue of ascendency for post-Palpatine rulers. I recognize that his intentions were likely to allow for Galaxy forever controlled by the Sith, but the Galaxy at large could not be aware of that (the Galaxy would likely have still had memories of the Sith's pre-Republic tyranny). For the sake of appearences, he would likely have instituted a system wherein Imperial beaurecrats could hope to be Emperor themselves. Perhaps they were democratically elected, as Palpatine declared in ROTS.

The point is that, given what was seen in the end of ROTJ, the death of the incumbent Emperor and several military personnel and the desturction of a weapon of mass destruction would not precipitate the dissolution of the Empire. I imagine that the Rebellion's circumstance post-ROTJ would be very similar to their state during ESB. They had achieved an important victory over the Empire, though it still existed. Palpatine was killed, not overthrown. Perhaps Palpatine's successor would be a far less tyrannical leader, improving the overall state of the Galaxy, though I doubt that such a head-of-state would revert the government back to the level of democracy that the Republic featured.

As for the Jedi, there is only one shown to still exist as of ROTJ's end, and he is partially trained. Luke lacks the complete knowledge needed to effectively train a padawan. Its been shown in the prequels that the Jedi were very cautious in the development of padawans. Only highly experienced Jedi were given the responsibility to teach others in the ways of the Force. IMO, Luke is far from a "highly experienced Jedi." I imagine that any attempt of his to train a Jedi would be frought with difficulty, with a limited chance of success for the disciple to develop full Jedi skills.

Considering these factors, the "sequel" trilogy has some opportunity to depict a worthwhile story. Lucas, or any new director for the series, could show the Rebellion's continuing struggle against an Empire that is not as oppressive as it once was and has the streamlined efficiency that the Republic lacked, causing several characters to question whether there is a need for a renewed Republic. Luke's struggle to perpetuate the Order would be an obvious additional focal point for the trilogy.

I think that this outline could easily be extrapolated into a three-part epic by a skilled creative team, and these ideas only represent one view of how the next films could be presented.

6. Gary_Buchenara

Gary_Buchenara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2009
    There's probably a story there, but I wouldn't be all that confident about the execution of the project.

7. KING_KENOBI

Oct 19, 2004
    Just a final nail in the coffin...quoted from an intervew with GL:

"TOTAL FILM: "Are you happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after you're gone?"
    LUCAS: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."...

Is actually in his WILL that no Star Wars Feature will ever be made again.exept maybe an animated feature like TCW ..

8. Dark--Helmet

Dark--Helmet Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2003
    I don't think it's really a nail.GL as changed his mind many many times.He even changes his mind about how he created the saga.Ask him on a different day and he'd have another answer.

Theres a story that can be made.GL changed it from Lukes adventures to the Tragedy of DV,SW is always changing and evolving,theres no reason to stop now.

I agree with this.

9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Ask him on a different day and he'd have another answer.

[face_laugh]

The Truth.

10. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I was thinking about the sequel trilogy, and being a kid in the 90s (before the prequels even came out), and looking forward to them. I remember an old, old version of StarWars.com (from like 1996-7?)that had a collage of some images from the films on its homepage, overlaid by roman numerals. The classic trilogy ones led to pages about those films, and the Episode I link had some previews about the new film. And I could have sworn that there were also the numerals for 7, 8, and 9, right there after ROTJ. Alas, I can't find any evidence of this on the net. I even checked archive.org. Anyone else recall this, or have any evidence for it?

11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I don't remember that and I was there on opening day for SW.com....down to the little landspeeder that flew across the screen to the opening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.