main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will Snoke detract from Kylo as the villian?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DML3, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DML3

DML3 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    If snoke is shown in VIII any more than a hologram will his presence as the true villian take away from kylo renn being the main villian? I get the feeling especially if it is revealed in 8 that snoke is plagues or sidious reincarnated that fans will want to see him more than they will Renn and renns character will fade into the background in merchandising sales and likeability.

Palpatine didnt show up until the ROTJ in person. Had he been in ESB he may have taken away from Vader.

We knew who palpatine was in the original trilogies yet each movie had its own sub villian and they werent of much importance since we all knew palpatine was the real villian. Maul wouldnt have worked spanned across 3 movies neither would greivous or dooku.

2. TurboPGT

TurboPGT Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 15, 2015
    Nothing can detract from Ben Ren in this trilogy, IMO. He e'ffing owns. He is Jacen Solo, reimagined, and executed in a superb way.

ThorOdinson likes this.
  3. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I doubt it. If Snoke is anything more than throwaway as far as importance, he'll live to be in episodes 10-12. If he's to die in this trilogy, he won't be that important or powerful. This is Bens trilogy. Not snokes.

Granek likes this.
  4. Lord Ugnaught

Lord Ugnaught Jedi Knight

Apr 16, 2015
    Well if Snoke is revealed as the true villain, won't that mean that he is the main villain? I'm confused by your question.

I think you're still trying to view Ren as Vader, which funny enough is something Ren struggles with in TFA. I fully believe Snoke is the main villain.

5. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    I think going by some of the earlier spoilers were it says 'the power dynamic changes'. I think that will occur next episode. I think Kylo is innately more powerful than Snoke and next episode will supplant him as the 'main baddie' . Han tells him Snoke is using him for his power and in the novel, Leia was aware that Snoke was 'watching Ben for a long time' and that Ben was always drawn to the Dark side-too much Vader in him. I believe Ren will learn all he needs then kill Snoke.

Darth Horn Rollo likes this.
  6. Darth Horn Rollo

Darth Horn Rollo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012

I agree. One thing we haven't seen in SW (yet) is an apprentice kill a master as a way to grow stronger in the dark side. I think that Kylo kills Snoke at the end of VIII or beginning of IX.

7. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Yeah, I can see him killing Snoke...

8. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015

Think John Locke in Season 6 of Lost and you'll see the ultimate fate of Ben. Rather than the Man In Black, he'll be taken over by Plagueis or Palpatine(preferred) who moves from the Snoke body and will then rule the galaxy with an iron fist... at least until he gets his rear end handed to him in 10-12.

9. Darth Horn Rollo

Darth Horn Rollo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012

I really hope that doesn't happen. I don't want any main characters to lose their personal agency via possession (other than for very short durations a la Jedi mind tricks). It would totally rob Kylo Ren/Ben Solo of any true personality or motivation if he is somehow "taken over". And if Palpatine manages to "come back" in some way, it really does cheapen the end of ROTJ.

Granek likes this.
  10. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    He won't take away from Kylo Ren any more than Palpatine took away from Vader.

That said, I LOVE the idea of actually getting to see "The apprentice become the Master" on-screen, even if it's not truly a Sith relationship in this case.

I also think it'd be thematically appropriate for Snoke to be something of a paper tiger. Maybe "smart/wise" in the ways of the Force (so he can teach) but not all that in terms of raw power. And once Kylo figures it out he offs Snoke (though possibly not until Snoke tries to betray him first).

11. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I doubt it, Sheev didn't take away from Vader as a villain. Because Vader was the more interesting character, and I suspect that Kylo will continue to be as well. Really the most interesting things about Snoke are questions that surround him. Where does he come from and what's his deal?

jc1138 likes this.
  12. DML3

DML3 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015

Palpatine couldnt take away from Vader because we didnt even see Palpatine until ROTJ. Lucas knew he wanted Vader as the focal point.

I can only imagine the fanboys if Snoke turned out to be plagues. It would be a death sentence to Bens character. Much like the death sentence given to R2d2 in this first film. Fans would only want to see Darth Plageus.

I do agree with what others have posted and Ben killing snoke. That would work and would be awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.