main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will the death of Han, Leia, or Luke ever be written about?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by tanjokabri, Dec 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    i know this is a very gloomy topic so near to christmas, so first of all: MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

now, as i was saying:
    george lucas created han, leia, and luke, and if you like, they're his three major characters...the ones he 'cares' most about...many people in this forum think that this makes the three safe throughout njo...and i guess i agree...but my point is this: sooner or later, they will die; they can't live forever. The question is, will we ever read their deaths? There's really only three options:

1. EU stops being written before any of them die.
    2. There are stories after their death, and maybe we know how they die, but we never get to read it.
    3. We DO get to read their deaths.

If 1 happens, it will be sad for all EU fans. If 2 happens, i would find it unsatisfactory. If 3 happens, loads of fans are going to be in total shock for a long time...

So which path do you reckon Star Wars is going to take?

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Hopefully the 3rd one. I want to see SW fandoms on antidepressants for a long, long time.

3. Warrior-of-the-Sith

Warrior-of-the-Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2001
    Yeah option 3. I've got nothing against any of the main characters (Heck, Han is awesome), but eventually there is going to be a need for some change. I do hope though, that if they eliminate Han, Luke, Leia, etc, that they replace them with new characters to continue on with the EU legacy.

4. ron corless

ron corless Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 1999
    Much as I hate the thought of my three favorite childhood heroes dying. i would be interested in reading about the fate of Luke,Han and Leia. I think I put a thread about this. This would be perhaps the final SW novel ever written or there would be books set after their deaths and they would be replaced by the next generation of Jedi and NR leaders including Ben,Jacen,Jaina and Kyp.

I suspect Luke will die like Obi-Wan in a lightsaber duel and Han and Leia will go down in a blaze of glory on the Falcon.

Perhaps a novel about the fate of Luke and co. will be released around 2010.

5. bobabooie

bobabooie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2001
    I think Lukes going down in the final book of NJO. The death of Master Skywalker were be the event that binds the surviving Jedi together and what finally creates the New Jedi Order. Like Anakin had to die to defeat the Emperor and complete his destiny, Luke will have to die to complete his destiny and re-from the Jedi order.

6. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Han will never die. His excrutiating hotness forbids it. To rid the EU of his gorgeous self, is just too cruel a fate for any of the fictional inhabitants, or it's many readers. We love Han. By his mere good looks alone, he is deamed too important to die, and therefore shall roam the star wars galaxy forever and ever.

Luke is expendable though.

7. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    They should just jump to the future long after they are gone . I don?t want to see/read about everyone?s death. I am getting a little tired of the death of the week the NJO seems to be doing. What ever happened to happily ever after??

8. the_jaded_1

the_jaded_1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2001
    I agree with Yanksfan. Han will live forever, but the others can die, and it would be good to actually read their deaths, not get the info second hand.

9. Sologal

Sologal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    I hope not. I'd just as soon their deaths be left to my imagination. Besides, they've suffered enough. I'd like to think they live out the rest of their natural lives having finally achieved the peace they've fought so hard for. I think they've earned it.

10. bobabooie

May 3, 2001
    Wll you might as well start gathering logs now, because Luke isn't getting out of NJO alive.

11. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    And your reliable source for that one, bobabooie, is...

I think that we will never read about them, but the book will just jump ahead to the adventures of the next generation. Although I would like to read them, I dont think that the publishers would do that. I mean, they killed CHEWIE, and there were death threats. Imagine what would happen to the poor author with the guts to bump off Han?

(I aggre wtih Yanksfan...he should be immortal :D )

12. Princess_Liar

Princess_Liar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    They can do what they want with "the big three" as far as I'm concerned but if anyone even thinks about killing off Kyle Katarn...

13. bobabooie

May 3, 2001
    Luke dying in order to whip out the Vong once and for all and thus saving the galaxy wouldn't be viewed the same as Chewies death (while he did save Anakin) but more along the line of Anakin (skywalker) death. It doesn't matter how many new characters they come up with, right now Luke is and has been the main character and in the end its going to be Luke who stops the Vong and doing something on that scale (like killing Palpatine) requires a sacriface.

The only way I can see Luke living through NJO is Mara dies in order to save Luke.

14. Master_Beerstalker

Master_Beerstalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2001
    I believe that if anyone dies it will be Han. His recklessness, has brought him close to death so many times before, and it was said from the begining that they had thought about killing off Han in the movies even.

15. Quiwan

Quiwan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I think we will read about their deaths well after the NJO but I doubt it will be anything spectacular... just old heroes dying peacefully in their own beds at home.

16. kz1000_jay

kz1000_jay Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2001
    They only considered killing Han's character in the movies because Harrison Ford requested it, and they told him that they would "think about it."

17. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    They shouldn't write about it because SW is essentially a family thing. I mean the original movies did start off as movies for a family??? and in those I don't think that any of the main characters have died????

18. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    Lord Riven: Darth Vader was quite a main character...!

i used to think that luke would die in the njo, but now, i think he'll survive it...mara will too...and ben...

19. Ginger

Ginger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    I agree with Yanksfan, Han is too hot to die. [face_love] My hope is that our heroes have peaceful deaths that are mentioned long after the fact.

20. bobabooie

May 3, 2001
    I could see Han dying in NJO order to save his children - hes already lost Chewie and Anakin and it would make a big statment if he gave up his life for those important to him who were still alive - Leia, Jacen and Jaina.

21. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    I totally agree with Sologal. They have earned the right to live in peace. I would rather not read about their deaths. I think it should just be left to our imaginations.

22. Wes

Wes Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2000
    I don't want to see any of them die, least of all Luke. I think Luke and Mara should just do a Yoda and disappear from galactic events.

The sad thing is if they do live to die of old age Han would be the first to good, he is the oldest plus he doesn't have the force to prolong his life. Which brings me to another point all the other cool characters will be dead by then. Wedge, Tycho, Wes, Ackbar, all the commanders from the Civil war, Rieeken, Mirax, and all the others.

23. Jedi_Kettch

Jedi_Kettch Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2001
    As for letting them die in peace, it just doesn't seem fitting. They save the galaxy and then die at home while watching the holonet? I would rather see them, Han especially, go out in a blaze of glory. It only seems fitting. And if they go out like that they would have to write about it.

I don't think i could stand not knowing what happened to them. It would be like if they never wrote Chewie's death. The next book would come, and suddenly they wouldn't be there, no explanation, just some side note, otherwise a throw away line, that they died.

24. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    I've got a feeling that neither Leia nor Luke will survive the NJO. I guess Leia goes first, and Luke in the end. With Leia gone, Han will disappear in the Falcon. That would be fitting for him.

25. Beny_Onbe

Beny_Onbe Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2001
    I hate to say it, but they really have to die. I mean, think about it. They can't live forever, and SW fans galaxy-wide will get no satisfaction if they just stop all of the novels. We've seen them through good and bad-we should be able to see their deaths as well. And while I wish they could have a happy ending, well, this is going to sound crude but out with the old and in with the new.
    I just hope they keep going with the books after all the OT characters are dead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.