main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X-Men: The Arcade Game - ahhh, memories

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by 1stAD, May 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    Who still remembers this behemoth of an arcade machine? With the ability to have an 8 player co-op game (if your arcade had the super big cabinet, that is), including heroes such as Colossus, Wolverine, Cyclops, and a few others, this game resulted in hours upon hours of mindless button mashing at the arcade. Basically this game was Final Fight, but with many more sprites and mutant powers.

Good times...

2. Terra

Terra Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2000
    Sounds good - wish I'd played it :( 8 player co-op sounds incredible!

3. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    That game rocks. I still play it when I find it, and since it's only a quarter now, I get really far.

4. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    If the price was right (say, $500 or under) I'd buy the 8 player cabinet right away. It would complete my room :D

5. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Remember I do, yes. But get far I did not. The Avengers arcade game I also did play. Vision I was. Powerful was he.

6. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    Yuo suck. I beat the game with about $1.50 ;)

7. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    "Nuthing can move the Blah-ahb!"

-Jomero

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Was it 8-players? I thought it was only 6? (the one with two TV screens).

It's because of this game, actually, that I began reading the X-Men comics years ago. I was on vacation in Disney World, and one night I was playing the X-Men game at the hotel arcade, and loved using Nightcrawler, since his super power was cheap and effective [face_batting]

Upon returning home, I checked out the new comic shop that had opened at the mall by me and picked up Uncanny X-Men #300, and what did I see on the first page of the issue? Full page shot of Nightcrawler! ::)

So, I bought it and began a fun little journey into comics [face_batting]

That game is still fun- a pool hall by me has the 4-player cabinet, so I was playing it a few weeks ago there.

A pitty they never ported it to consoles- imagine how bitchin the game would be if they remade it with the quality of graphics from the various Marvel vs series?

9. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    I think there were several cabinet options available - or maybe my memory is bad. But I do remember the dual-screen cabinet, and I remember there being more than 6. But whatever, either way, this game still rocks.

10. the_chosen_two

the_chosen_two Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2003
    I still enjoy The Simpsons arcade game-ahhh, memories.

11. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    That game was fun. I still remember some of the team-up attacks you could do. And the last boss was Mr. Burns in a robotic suit, if I'm not mistaken...

12. Soulwalker

Soulwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2003
    Man, I remember the days... *Gets a nostalgic look on his face*

It was my favorite arcade game, next to Virtua Fighter and Street Fighter. :p I'm not sure it's the exact same one you guys are talking about, since I grew up in Malaysia, hehe.

13. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    I was always Nightcrawler on it. His Mutant power was the best.

Cyclops wasn't bad either.

14. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    It was definetly only 6 player you could be Cyclops, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Storm, or Dazzler (by far the worst IMHO). Nightcrawler was the best, just like he always is!

15. PaplooTheory

PaplooTheory Jedi Master star 5

Nov 9, 2001
    Oh yes, I have these memories planted firmly in my mind. I was always Nightcrawler even though his special sucked. He was just cool, that's really all there is to it.

This past summer I found one of these old machines at a camp site up in Idaho. My freinds and I spent every last quarter beating it that night. Ahhh, good times.

16. Master_Beerstalker

Master_Beerstalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2001
    I remember this game too, it was great. I'm pretty sure there was a 8 player version to though, that had 3 screens. The six player version had 2 screens, and the four player version had one.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>I was always Nightcrawler even though his special sucked.<<

No way- his was the best; it could clear the screen of enemies! It just wasn't as effective at level bosses.

18. Kai_Halicon

Kai_Halicon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Funnily enough, a guy who I work with actually owns the 4-player version of this game. He used to repair arcade games for a living as has a garage of about a dozen, ranging from Gauntlet to House of the Dead.

I was playing it a few weeks back and despite the fact everyone's in outdate costumes (Cyclops' is particularly lame - that stupid hood and yellow briefs...), it's still as great as ever.

I wish they'd do a modern version of it - there'd be some great character choices like Iceman, Angel (thought i can't see his special moves being very good - what could he do, fly from danger?), Rogue, Bishop, Gambit and maybe some of the newer characters like the new Thunberbird (plasma generating power, similar to Havok) or my fave, the faceless Chamber.

And yeah, Dazzler still sucks as bad now as ever. Nightcrawler is always a winner, but I got pretty far with Cyclops last time I played.

I forsee my colleague getting a visit this weekend....

19. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    I would love to see an updated version of this game, along with multiple skins. And maybe a cast of 15-30 characters ;)

20. obi-wankenobiben

obi-wankenobiben Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    I know a website where you can download this and play it on your PC! Wolverine anyone?

21. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    This is the part where you post a link obi-wankenobiben.

22. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    nope, sorry people, the original Gauntlet owns your X-Men machine. The original Gauntlet machine (IIRC) was the first machine like that with 4 players.

malkie

23. obi-wankenobiben

obi-wankenobiben Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    It is really hard to get on the website because it is closed down most of the time!

24. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    oh! I love that game. I played it so much and still do if I see it anywhere I dont even know how many times I beat it. I would always play as Wolverine, slashing all those sentinals was good times! I also think that they should make a new one, and they NEED to include Gambit, that would be so cool! and X-Men is SO much better than Guantlet Legends!!!!!!!!!!!!! you know it!

Forcebewitya!

25. medleyoz

medleyoz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I loved this game. My friend had his birthday party at our local arcade and 8 of us finished this game it was awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.