main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

XBox 360 Kinect Star Wars Limited Edition Bundle

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by TiniTinyTony , Feb 21, 2012.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    It appears that the Xbox bundle has a release date of Apr 3rd 2012.

[image=http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/xbox_360_kinect_star_wars_0-580x408.jpg]

I don't have an Xbox and I really want to play Star Wars Kinect so the bundle is appealing to me. My two hesitations:

1) Price ($449.00 is pretty steep)
    2) Potential Out dated-ness (If they announce the next gen Xbox at E3 2013, like rumors suggest, it puts a sour taste in my mouth about having an outdated system so quickly after purchase. What would be even worse is if Microsoft announces the next gen Xbox at this years's E3.

Anyone else in this predicament like me? What do you plan on doing? What do you suggest I do? Will they even make a Star Wars themed next gen Xbox? Will it be worth waiting potentially two years (or more) as I really want to play Star Wars Kinect this April?

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    1) Don't buy it. The Kinect is gimmicky and the bundle is waaayyy too expensive for a 6-year-old game console.
    2) long inside joke acronym

3. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    3) grow up and stop playing kids games

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I get the game if I owned an XBox, the gold controller looks cool.
    I've not seen Kinect much, is it actually any good?

5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    My friend's son owns the Kinect. I played Kinect Adventures or whatever the game of the game that came with it. I really enjoyed it.

So the ability to "use" the Force with my body in a video game has me geekin' out.

6. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I haven't used my XBox in nearly a year. It's in a cupboard gathering dust.

7. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I got a kinect for christmas and I love it. It's great when we have company over too. Very fun, a lot laughs, and it's pretty accurate as far as motion controls go.

8. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    I'd quite like to get myself an xbox and I think the gold controller with the r2-d2 paint scheme is pretty cool but I agree with darth_guy- for a 6 year old system, the price is too steep. (£350? really?!)

9. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Give it to meeeee.

The Kinect has its fun moments. My son got it for Christmas and the Kung Fu Panda game he got actually responds pretty well. But I don't think I'd go out of my way to get it.

10. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    WDNDSWITJCC.

11. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I don't play video games that much anymore (Some games used to give me motion sickness), but if I was to get an XBox 360, it would be for the upcoming Transformers Fall of Cybertron game. I hear it has the Combaticons and Optimus Prime being able to control Metroplex. Not to mention playable levels with Grimlock.

12. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Way too much money for a system that is supposedly being replaced soon.

13. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002

A lot of people are echoing this sentiment without really considering the individual price of all the items included in the bundle.

-A basic kinect-ready 4GB 360 costs about $200
    -A kinect sensor costs about $140
    -A new game usually costs $60

All that adds up to $400 (plus tax).

Okay, so where's the additional $49 in the $449 price tag coming from? Surely not just novelty, right? Right.

The console comes with a whopping 320 GB! The largest 360-Slim only comes with 250GB, and it costs $300!

So let's redo the formula with the largest available 360-S:
    -250GB 360-S costs $300
    -Kinect sensor costs $140
    -New game costs $60

This adds up to $500 (plus tax).

The only scenario that gives worthy competition to the Star Wars bundle is the existing 360-S Kinect Bundle :
    -360-S 4GB console/kinect bundle costs about $300
    -Comes with Kinect Adventures (stupid game not worth your time anyway)
    -Buying a new game (ie. Star Wars Kinect) costs about $60

Total cost here is about $360 plus tax.

So you would save just around $100 going this route...but then you're stuck with a 4GB console.

My fiancee got me a 4GB 360-S when they first came out (I already had an older 20GB 360) and that little space quickly becomes a big pain.

My 4GB console is so riddled with flash drives protruding from every orifice that it looks like a porcupine. And the 360 is only compatible with 2-8GB flash drives, so now you're dishing out more money on flash drives every time you want to download a demo/movie/game/downloadable content.

Sure, you can now upload to the Microsoft Cloud, but that's only good for saved game files--not for the stuff you really need memory for (demos/movies/games/dlc).

I think the novelty coupled with the massive hard drive space of the Star Wars 360 makes it a justified price tag.

Plus, just because they might announce a new console doesn't mean that it's coming out in 2013. Chances are good that Xbox Loop or whatever it's being called will probably hit shelves in 2014-2015.

So, in my casual-gamer mindset, it's pretty good deal.

14. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    We all aren't made of money like you though. It doesn't even come with a blue ray player. I just couldn't justify spending that much money on a gaming system this late into the systems life cycle. Rabid Star Wars fans are going to eat this up I'm sure, but this is my personal opinion. I could find better places to spend my entertainment dollar at the moment.

15. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I would say that if you're going to spend that much money on anything, it should be something pretty meaningful. If this is really that meaningful for you, go for it. And then re-think your life for a bit. If not, don't.

16. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Why would you need blu-ray? I don't think purchasing movies is as big a thing as it used to be before streaming became available.

The 360 (with Live Gold) can stream Netflix, Hulu Plus, and a bunch of other movie streaming services (many in HD). Plus it has access to the Zune marketplace, where you can download or rent movies in full 1080p. And I've found that buying a movie via Xbox Zune is usually cheaper than or identical to the cost of buying a blu-ray disc (with the exception of specific sales/promotions of course).

I myself considered getting a blu-ray player, but I hardly buy movies, and I can stream them via Xbox or watch them on DirecTV.

I agree that it's late in the game, but if Tony wants a 360 (which will more than likely be around for a couple more years anyway), then the SW bundle is a good deal.

Keep in mind that Nintendo is supposedly launching Wii U this year, but there are still brand new Wii games being released. Microsoft might only be announcing an imminent new system this year--but they're far from releasing one.

17. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Star Wars Kinect is going to be to Star Wars games what The Phantom Menace was to Star Wars movies. The game sucked so badly that they had to delay release until April (originally November 2011), so they could re-tool it after the wicked number of negative reviews from the initial demo.

Reasons why this game fails:
    1. It's basically a rail shooter. RS's are fine for gallery-style shooting games (Aliens: Extermination) or timed flying games (Star Wars Trilogy Arcade), but when you are given a HUGE map area (look how much detail they put into Cloud City), the impetus should always be on exploring the map, which is something you cannot do with a rail shooter.

2. No feedback from the game. Star Wars Kinect would have been better suited to the Wii or the Playstation Move, because with those you are actually holding a vibrating remote. You clash lightsabers against your opponent in the game...but with Kinect, you are simply thrashing your arms about. With the WiiMote or the Move remote, you would actually feel the strike in the "hilt" of your lightsaber.
    Using the Force? Just hit a button on the remote and youd feel it vibrate in accordance with the size of the object you are wanting to move.

3. Poor control from the Kinect. Which, hopefully they will have gotten fixed by release.
    Check out any of the gameplay demos on YouTube...one fellow tries to push a tank to the left, but instead the tank goes right.

4. Poor AI. Check out this poor bastard playing....the bad guys either stand still while he thrashes at them or they actually run into the character's lightsaber.
    As one commenter stated....you could stand naked in front of the XBox, sling your willy around at it, and probably still be able to beat the game.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    You'd be better off spending the money on the new PSVita (minus the annoyance of actually having to buy a memory card seperately), or holding out to see if the WiiU is any good.
    Or, if you really want to be snazzy, invest in a pair of Google's AR Goggles

Star Wars has great potential for motion-based gaming, but I don't thik this Kinect game is utilising it properly.

19. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    There are other great games available for 360/kinect though. But yeah, don't buy one solely for star wars.

20. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Regarding Blu-ray players and XBox:

1. I don't own that many Blu-ray discs either. I mainly rent them, and the Netflix service offers a ****load. And with DVD's the library is certainly many times larger than what is available on streaming. Yeah, it costs quite a bit extra if you already have streaming, but it's still a hell of a lot cheaper than buying anything.
    2. Streaming video quality-- even in "HD" (720p max)-- is bloody awful. Despite the naysayers, it's easily noticeable on a 1080p display with properly connected (HDMI) devices.
    3. Downloadable 1080p videos also tend to be worse than their Blu-ray counterparts due to compression.
    4. The XBox will be getting a successor probably in the holiday season of 2013, and I bet due to the first one's success a Kinect successor will be released at about the same time.
    5. As I said, the Kinect is gimmicky. So are the Wii and the WiiU or whatever, but at least Nintendo has made an effort to keep the price down for "casual" gamers who'll buy the thing for one or two games and then forget about it.
    6. As Aytee-Aytee said, Kinect games tend to suck even if you get past the gimmick.
    7. You don't need a 320 gb HD on an XBox 360-- again, a console that will be 7 years old in November-- unless you have a lot of games (even then only if you plan on installing them to reduce heat from spinning the disc) or plan on buying a ****load of DLC. No one should buy movies that will be limited to a game console, but even then it'd take a lot to fill up 320 gigs. A 4 gb hard drive should be sufficient for mere game saves, and if you want to pay for XBox Live Gold, you can use the cloud storage for game saves.
    8. To watch Netflix, Hulu Plus, and other services, you have to pay for XBox Live. This is on top of the existing subscription fees for the individual streaming services. Wi-Fi enabled Blu-ray players (that sell for as little as $100) have apps that allow you to watch Netflix and Hulu Plus for no extra charge. You can also stream to your PC for no extra charge. Micro$oft (I put a dollar sign there cuz they're greedy lol) seems to be the only company that charges extra for the privilege of watching something you already pay for.

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You're in luck, Tony, because I have constructed a handy flowchart for people considering purchasing a Kinect to use. Simply check it any time you're thinking of picking up a Kinect.

[image=http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp39/darthramza/yotsubanono.jpg]

22. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    My original post got deleted (thank you Nook Color!) but I'll try to sum up the key points:

First, IRL, I've never seen/heard of anyone who can see any difference between 720p and 1080p. Mind you, I'm not arguing that there isn't a difference. I'm arguing that for a great majority of people, that difference simply isn't noticeable. To most people, HD is HD...and the 360 streams/downloads in HD.

That said, I agree that it sucks that Micro$oft (I'll borrow the $ symbol since it fits) requires Live Gold for streaming services. It makes absolutely no sense (especially since it seems that more and more gamers have both a 360 and a PS3, thereby rendering Live Gold unnecessary for them unless they prefer Live's online gameplay).

Regarding the Kinect, sure it's gimmicky, but so is everything that involves motion technology. The kinect, at least, can lead to an awesome time if you entertain company a lot (which I do). My friends and I have a blast hanging out together and playing around with it. Many have claimed that they haven't laughed so much playing video games before.

So if you have a lot of IRL friends, Kinect can be worth getting.

However, I don't use my Kinect for single-player games aside from workout games (such as Fitness Evolved--which delivers an awesome workout btw). Single-player motion games are gimmicky regardless of the console. Just look at Zelda: Skyward Sword for the Wii (awful, awful game...that somehow scored ridiculously high ratings).

I don't have high expectations for Star Wars Kinect (again, because most single-player motion games are too focused on being gimmicky than being good). But the Kinect is excellent for local multiplayer games and workout games.

Also, has it been officially suggested that Xbox Loop is being released next year? I find that difficult to believe...But honestly, this has been the longe

23. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The Wii U will be out this year, so Nintendo's competitors will be wanting to release their platforms sometime soon. There are also plenty of rumors about Microsoft (and Sony I think) developing hardware, the new console being Blu-ray based, etc. And Microsoft has said the new XBox won't be out "in 2012," which seems to imply that they're planning on the next year. I find it hard to believe they'd let the 360 keep chugging past eight years (2005-2013). That's pushing it.

24. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I doubt Loop will get blu-ray, that being a Sony format and all.

25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    That doesn't matter. Blu-ray was developed by many companies and licenses are handed out to a lot of others so it's not "Sony's format" any more than CD's (which Sony also helped develop) are. It's also the only successor to DVD, so Microsoft must use it. DVD's have too little storage space (many 360 games already have multiple discs) and it would be far too much money and effort to develop another format solely for the new XBox-- most people are calling it the "720" so that'd be two loops. :p I think Blu-ray movie playback may require a fee same as DVD's did (which is why Wii doesn't have it despite using DVD's for games) though this licensing **** is confusing so I dunno. I just know using Blu-ray shouldn't be a problem.