main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

YJCC Mod Issue/ Policy Question

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Ignant, Mar 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Basically asking why different standards were being applied in regards to the AmazingB threads.

Did another user try to start a series of threads about one of his friends, only to see them shut down? Otherwise, what different standards have been applied?

Amazing.

2. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    But, they aren't the same topic, which is a fact you're ignoring. Say the trhead titles were not similar and I said these things about myself. It wouldn't be an issue. That is why there is a double standard.

No, if they were all the same but about you, I'd say the same. If you posted a fact a day about yourself, it would be no different than posting a fact a day about B.

I think Paul's point about Shorty's 3 random crap threads a day is an extremely valid point.

Also, it's not like the B threads get 5 posts and sink. They actually generate pages of discussion.

It's fine if you don't like threads another user posts. You don't have to read or reply to them. They generally speaking are different enough to be ok. When he was posting basically the same thing stated another way, the thread was taken care of and locked.

Also, the versions I looked at didn't really generate pages of conversation. Usually 2 at the most, and usually it was the same people replying to them.

Having one thread a day along these lines doesn?t seem to push other threads down ? there?s generally only one or two of these threads on the front page, so we?re not seeing good threads lost because of it.

It does no harm, I think that it?s more convenient for most everyone to have individual threads, and they?re some of the more entertaining threads in Community these days. My strong suggestion to Community moderators is to allow them to continue in the established format.

But should any user have so many threads devoted to him? B gets them, so should every user be entitled to similar threads? No, that'd be parody, which would be locked. Which estentially means only B gets them which really isn't fair.

I really don't want to be a bitter ex-mod.

I don't mean to make you bitter. It just seems unfair and excessive and the subject of the thread happens to be you. I doubt if you weren't as familiar and popular a user as you are, or a former mod, they never would've continued like this. That doesn't make it right that it wasn't addressed, but we are human.

3. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    And all the movie related threads can fit neatly into one thread about movies.

Look, if a thread was created every other day about each one of Harrison Ford?s films, we would create a thread to discuss all of his films in one place. Same thing here.

4. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Look, if a thread was created every other day about each one of Harrison Ford?s films, we would create a thread to discuss all of his films in one place. Same thing here.

But you'd never get satisfactory discussion of any of his movies. You'd just get random comments and ultimately it would devolve into a quote-a-thon. Is that really better than individual threads for discussion?

Amazing.

5. Darth_Smelly

Darth_Smelly Jedi Master star 4

Mar 29, 2004
    I don't see the harm in his threads. the people enjoy them.

6. The Bigger Fish

Apr 24, 2000
    just get random comments and ultimately it would devolve into a quote-a-thon.

And this is really different from the made up AmazingB fact threads how?

7. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    In my opinion, it's only spam if it's filling up the front page and pushing down worthwhile threads, or is mindlessly pointless.

8. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Really, this is over moderation. Here's a question? What are they hurting? They're not spam, because he does have a point. The majority of people enjoy them. Yes, you may have gotten a few complaints, but in case like this, majority should rule. You don't stop something 25 people like because 2 people don't like it.

Yes, maybe if you guys feel this way about them, it should have been stopped earlier. But it wasn't. It went on for 35 or so threads and wasn't harming anything in the atmosphere of the JCC.

I think if you do this, you should put all sports threads into one big sports thread. Close the MLB/NFL/NCAA/NBA threads. They could all go into one thread about sports. I also agree that all chat thread and club threads should be immediatly closed and put together into one large thread. There all threads where people chat and create groups. They should all be the same. Why are different standards being set for these threads then for other threads?

9. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't read the threads myself since I already know far more about Amazing B then anyone should have to.

I would also point out your timing belies your insistance the redundancy is the thing.

The latest amazing b thread is on page six. The guide to better posting asks you go back five pages.

I figure since you're being excedingly anal retentive about this you should realize you're wrong.

And Amazing, you don't know the power of the bitter ex mod side.

Seriously though, if the JCC mods have so much free time on their hands that this is a pressing issue, I'm certain we could find some tedious **** for you to do to keep your minds occupied.

Hey, why don't you go delete all the locked threads? Or delete BFT's post count one by one. Fun and helpful rather then just overbearing and annoying.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think that these threads, along with SRMcF?s rants, are some of the best things in Community. They?re straight out of left field, funny, and inspire about 30-60 replies each. A 300-3000 post thread for the purpose wouldn?t work as well.

I agree entirely. Even when I'm not interested in those threads, I simply ignore them. Only when there's a lot of threads of the same type on the first page do I get annoyed. I think the complaints to the JCC mods and the mods' action are totally unwarrented. These threads are fun for those who participate, and what harm is there in that?

Edit: clarification

11. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I really don't get how these all qualify as the same topic.

If I composed over a week 10 different threads about personal experiences I had... scratching my car, failing a test, talking to a cute boy, cutting my hair, buying a kitten, having a baby, and eating a ton of ketchup... It seems like you are saying all those things should go in one thread. Since they all are initially about ME and something that happened to me.

Heck, that makes most of shorty's threads similar, since they are about things he experiences (or claims to at least :p)... We should make him make a "Shorty's daily random thoughts and experiences" thread.

I just think this is way over moderating. And lame. Ignant's B threads are fun, good for a laugh, and a few posts. I don't think you can come up with a reason to force him to consolidate into one thread that wouldn't apply to a lot of other posters who start numerous threads.

Except, of course, that they have similar titles.

Besides, with the titles, it's like a magical surprise inside! YOu never know what you'll learn next!

For future reference, if Paul started one on B and then one on dani and then one on kate, etc... that would be fine, correct? Becuase it's not all the same person :)

12. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    In the interest of fairness, these threads aren't violating the TOS anymore than the other loads of other topicless threads that are posted in the JCC. It isn't like Ignant is posting 3 threads about Amazing B a day volating the rule of 3 threads a day, nor is B against these threads which have him as the subject matter.

13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > Starting a thread over to post a new fact isn't necessary. Threads are generally locked and restarted when they get large so they can start again and possible get new people interested.

So (hypothetically of course), how many posts would the latest "Amazing Facts" thread need before a mod locked it and another new one could be started? [face_mischief]

14. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    just get random comments and ultimately it would devolve into a quote-a-thon.

And this is really different from the made up AmazingB fact threads how?

If that's going to be your standard, then the vast majority of threads in the JCC are going to need to be locked, too. The JCC is for fun. People found these threads fun. Isn't that enough of a reason to allow them? Why stifle fun?

Amazing.

15. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    jp-30, there is no thread cap in JCC anymore and even if there was that would set a maximum not a minimum, any thread can decide to restart at any time. The old one would just be locked and discussion moved to the new one.

Which is what should be happening here. Unless the mods are going to refuse to allow the chat.. excuse me social threads to restart? I mean those jerks start a new thread when the old one is still there. we should ban them. Sic 'em Bria!

Bam.

16. The Bigger Fish

Apr 24, 2000
    How is it less fun with one AmazingB thread instead of 30+?

17. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Fish;
    > How is it less fun with one AmazingB thread instead of 30+?

The same way having one of something cool is less fun than having thirty of something cool.

Farrie;
    > any thread can decide to restart at any time. The old one would just be locked and discussion moved to the new one.

Isn't that exactly what (was) happening with Ignant's threads?

18. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002

Have you ever read any of them?

19. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    The old ones were very possibly not being locked.

I also don't recall them being upped though so that's not to big of an issue.

Apparently though locking one extra thread a day is to much of a strain. I take it to mean the current crop of mods has no interest in running a game, which would require something approaching daily attention and you know, it's not like we're paying them to be here.

20. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I haven't read any of them, and I honestly didn't see a problem or double standard with them.

Never occurred to me until this thread that there might be a problem.

21. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    TBF, how is it any less fun without them?

Methinks there is bias due to the user creating these threads.

And, apart from posts from you and Bria, every single post in this thread has been in favour of my threads. Therefore, if you don't reverse poliy, you are showing you don't listen to users and mod's don;t listen to users. You have no credible argument against that.

22. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    you know, it's not like we're paying them to be here.

If we did, there wouldn't be 7 hour gaps in JCC moderation. That would never happen unless we paid them.

23. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    Yes, we should have stopped it earlier.

That's ignoring the fact that it had been approved by a mod. So you're saying Kate was wrong in approving it?

Before starting a thread, users are supposed to look back a few pages to see if there is already a thread on the topic they wish to start. You are starting a new thread every day on the same topic and think it?s ok. Double standards?

It's not the same topic every day - one day it's about Amazing being a deaf mute, the next day it's about him being an Olsen triplet - the discussion each day differs because the new fact differs.

But should any user have so many threads devoted to him? B gets them, so should every user be entitled to similar threads? No, that'd be parody, which would be locked. Which estentially means only B gets them which really isn't fair.
    In that case, you need to lock Fate's thread, because no one else can have lunch threads, Shinjo's House of Weird People - v 4.0, because no one else can have a house of weird people, Hama's Daily Sound File returns!, because no one else can have a daily sound file, and various other threads that have users' names in them.

Last I checked we allowed a thread for each of the LotR movies. How is that different?

24. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002

Why is it such a big deal? Nothing in them is inflammatory, it's not "spam", or whatever the JC's collective defnition of spam is. I find these much less the definition of "spam" than the common threads we see every day in the JCC.

Your idea of keeping it all to one thread works great in threads like "ThE fLirT tHrEaD vOlUmE 28½", where all posts are "hay guy ur prety kawaii wats goign on!", but to keep topics of active discussion confined to one thread is just dumb and illogical.

Last I checked we allowed a thread for each of the LotR movies. How is that different?

And a thread for each LotR book, and for each character, and each article, personality quiz, toy, board game, interview, etc, which all proves your point even more.

25. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    In that case, you need to lock Fate's thread, because no one else can have lunch threads,

Please note that this is an EXAMPLE used to highlight an idea! It is NOT a serious suggestion! Okay!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.