main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You are all far too obsessed with Clungysnatch.

2. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    Is that supposed to make us feel better about it? If so, it had the opposite effect

3. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Nope. I just meant that there may yet be a method to Marvel's apparent madness. ;)

4. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    Well if it involves teaming Cumberbatch up with Hiddleston and having them turn their enemies into living Memes, while fighting Baron Grumpy Cat to save the internet from breaking... I don't even

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    all the venom from people who apparently like the rest of these movies makes me think it was probably a good choice.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  6. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I must not have been keeping up lately because I thought the geek community was collectively in love with Cumberbatch? The only thing I've ever seen him in was Into Darkness so I'm fairly opinionless here.

7. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Also looks like Krysten Ritter is probably Jessica Jones and Mike Colter is Luke Cage. And Ryan Reynolds basically confirmed he's back as Deadpool.

8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think he's good in sherlock. he was fine in a stupid role in into darkness. the rest of what i've seen him in he's had small parts or voice roles and he's been at least adequate. so i don't really get it either, aside from the phenomenon where people tend to react negatively to anyone's sudden and rapid rise from obscurity.

9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I bet you are a Doctor Who fan, tom

Ender Sai likes this.
  10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    hahaha, juliet is on your side this time. HA!

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You are correct, Tom. He's become unpopular in here because he's become popular out there.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Lord Vivec like this.
  12. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Meh, I really enjoy him in Sherlock, but I would have rather seen a number of others as Strange.

Juliet316 and Darth_Invidious like this.
  13. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I just don't know if he'll sound good saying stuff like "By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth!" or "By the Vishanti!".

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    He will say those in his posh English accent. Which is infinitely better than hearing such ghastly phrases in an American accent.

Arawn_Fenn, Ender Sai and Juliet316 like this.
  15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It just seems like their casting him because he's the popular name of the moment and he plays a certain type, not because he's the best actor for the role. Sherlock, Khan, Assange, and now, seemingly, strange, all fit a certain personality profile that Cumberbatch has proven he can deliver on. Makes me rather wish they'd gone the unknown route like they did with Thor.

At anyrate, what's done is done. Maybe Marvel will surprise me. I wasn't much of a fan of Gwenyth Paltrow's other roles and enjoy her as Pepper Pots.

Diggy - yeah, I've heard people gnashing about how Marvel will make him talk in an American accent. I'm like "No, seriously, do you think Marvel would mess with what works for him?"

16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I just hope Marvel can afford a higher polycount for him.

Ender Sai and Darth_Invidious like this.
  17. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I've seen Cumberbatch in a *lot* of different types of roles and genres. He's a brilliant actor who always delivers, and I have nothing against him. He just isn't this role at all, and I don't see how he possibly could be unless they go gollum level CG on him.

Six likes this.
  18. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You guys, it's so meta - they wanted someone who looked ****ing strange to play Dr Strange.

Should be Dr Strangelookingfellow or Dr Strangeshapetohisheadimeanitsnotquitenormal or something.

19. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    To me this casting just seems like some fat cat was like "Well, this character is really important for the future of the Marvel universe once RDJ retires from the role of Iron Man, so we need someone who will be a guaranteed ticket seller. Let's check what the Twitters and the FaceBooks have to say about it... Benedict Cabbagepatch... Hmmm... That'll do."

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Wait a moment... I know it's AICN (and therefore hugely suspect -- or, as heels1785 would say -- "io9! io9! io9!!!"), but what?

"Benedict Cumberbatch will play the Sorcerer Supreme in SINISTER director Scott Derrickson's origin story, which will show Strange gaining his powers after a brutal car wreck."

I though this take was specifically getting away from that ("no more origin stories") and just dropping us straight into the Doctor Strange world?

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    They are. See? They got his entire origin out of the way in their press release.

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Marvel confirmed it on their official Twitter account.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The plot or the casting?

24. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    casting

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Right, I believe everyone on the casting: the plot is what I'm taking exception to! :p