main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Venom is dark 90s anti-hero Spider-Man.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So that animated Spidey flick is still happening? Um...ok.

3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Fun trivia: Ultimate Spider-Man on Disney XD shares continuity with all Disney live-action series. Disney often has cross-over episodes with their various series, such that characters from...say...Best Friends Whenever, KC Undercover, Girl Meets World, etc., intersect. There was an episode of USM where Spidey encountered the characters from Jessie, voiced by their actors :-B

heels1785 likes this.
  4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

The darker impulses weren't in the comics during the 80's and 90's. That was first introduced in the 90's animated series to create dramatic tension and to try and limit the amount of insanity in both Eddie Brock and Cletus Kasady, per FOX's stricter standards. The Symbiote just served as Peter's new suit and had a habit of making him exhausted because it would attach itself to him while he was asleep and he'd go out on patrol while unconscious. He never had the urge to kill. The Symbiote only started to do that when Peter rejected it and when sensing Eddie's hatred of him, it decided that killing was perfectly acceptable.

But yes, as noted, Venom was a strong enough character to support a series of solo series from Marvel. There were eighteen mini-series published between 1993 and 1998, an original graphic novel with the Avengers as co-stars, three one-shots of which two were for UNICEF charity, two video games based on the comics storylines, three novels by Diane Duane with Venom co-starring with Spider-Man, two novels that featured Carnage fighting Spider-Man, his guest appearance in "DC/Marvel: All Access" with Superman and Spider-Man battling him, and all the other merchandise. Hell, Venom's solo film went into development in 1995, before slipping into development hell a few years later. The solo comics only ended because Marvel wanted him back as a Spider-Man only villain in 1998 when the Spider-Man titles were set back to square one. But it wasn't long before he was given a new round of mini-series.

Indeed. In fact, he was put into the Sinister Six in 1999.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    It should be noted that Sony has not confirmed that the Venom film is not part of the MCU or which version of Venom this will be or even the time period it will be set in. It's possible Venom could be set in the future like Logan and be part of the MCU.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Venom was considered a strong enough character for a solo series because of the strong backstory and foundation built for him in the Spidey comics. Venom doesn't really make much sense without the context of Spider-Man.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The setup of a Venom movie without Spider-Man would be ... downright improbable and difficult. But I do like the notion that Sith_Sensei__Prime is batting about that they could just set it in an indeterminate point in the future (although Arad and Tolmach don't seem that outside the box thinking wise because there really isn't a Future Venom storyline they could base it around unless they grab a bit from Spider-Man: Reign, which is basically DKR Spider-Man). And once the whatever-it-is-going-to-be setup is out of the way, it could just be a dark anti-hero story, or they could go full on The Thing horror style (which was one of the minis) or Venom vs. Carnage bloody brawl or flat-out do Venom Space Knight, protector of citizens across the world / galaxy.

One could think with the oodles of Logan and Deadpool money they could go rated R but Venom isn't quite a character one does on the cheap. Well, they could, and there's the very awesome fan-film (with some pros behind it) "Truth in Journalism", which takes the Eddie is Crazy babbling nonsense violent person and only using Venom itself rather sparingly. but once again, they have to think outside the box.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Black Panther set photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Can't believe that's less than 11 months away.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Dude likes to ride on cars.

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    ^ That reminds me of two things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Sometimes a spin off needs the central character that he/she was spun off from to begin with. Take Supergirl. Her feature film didn't have Superman in it and it resulted in some improbable story elements that don't make much sense without him. The current television series works because they were able to keep that part of her origin, while making her stand on her own two feet. Likewise, a She-Hulk film needs an appearance from the Hulk in order to truly work. A Red Hulk film can work without the Hulk, but that's because General Ross was already set up to begin with and doesn't need much set up.

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I keep hearing that Black Panther was all CGI in Civil War, is that a thing? but they have an outfit for the Black Panther movie.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They had actual costumes in Civil War for stunt doubles and stuff but the actual suit was CG.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I really don't think the actors really have any authority on the subject. It's ultimately Feige and co.'s decision and the timing of production schedules that dictates any crossovers at this point.

17. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    At this point with Infinity War in production, the comment doesn't surprise me. There's quite a few films in production now IIRC, so cross overs to the TV format seem increasingly unlikely. If we get anything at all, it seems like it would come after phase 3 finished out.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Or after a series has concluded. The ongoing nature of shows really works against the production schedule issue.

19. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    That's also a possibility, but the reason I didn't mention it at the moment is because renewal for AoS is still up in the air last I saw and we don't know what's going to happen with the Netflix series after The Defenders.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Netlifx pipeline is still sturdy - Punisher post-Defenders, Daredevil and Jessica Jones already have next season orders, I think Luke Cage got a S2 order as well. AoS is an unknown but with Inhumans only being 10 episodes, ABC might bring back AoS for a shortened season order, basically to get it to 100 episodes. There's also Runaways, which is in full bore casting mode, and somewhat less full bore casting for Cloak and Dagger. Also apparently Squirrel Girl is a TV series being developed (which saddens me if only because I would have loved an Anna Kendrick starring feature).

If anything, the TV and movie sides seem to be co-operating as in "this movie, this TV". The split between Feige and Ike P. for Marvel movies and TV may be pretty deep. Feige almost walked around Civil War until Bob Iger said "okay, Feige gets the movies, done."

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    C&D's casting might not be full-ahead but it was ordered straight to series so it's production should be pretty swift for nice the casting is locked in.

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Chris Evans talking about Cap

"It's really not up to me. My contract is up. I'm not going to sit here and say, 'No more.' I think Hugh Jackman has made 47 Wolverine movies, and they somehow keep getting better. It's a character I love, and it's a factory that really knows what they're doing. The system is sound, over there. They make great movies. If they weren't kicking out quality, I'd have a different opinion. But, everything Marvel does seems to be cinema gold. And like I said, I love the character. The only reason it would end is 'cause my contract is up. After Avengers 4, my contract is done. Talk to Marvel. If we engage further, I'd be open to it. I love the character. It's almost like high school. You certainly always look to senior year, and then, all of a sudden, senior year happens and you're like, 'I don't know if I'm ready to go.' It's tough thinking about not playing the guy."

Darkslayer and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  23. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Marvel back up the bank truck to Chris Evans and Robert Downey jr.

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought Chris Evans was going to stop acting for a while and go into directing? Or has that changed?

25. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    He was saying that around the time Marvel was renegotiating stuff with their leads. Downey, too, if I recall correctly.