main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    "Dang it."

Diggy likes this.
  2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I'd argue that the MCU needs Doom above all: A charismatic, OP, apex-predator villain to loom as a menace throughout the next iteration of the franchise that will, hopefully, not follow the pattern of non-noteworthiness that will no doubt repeat itself with Thanos in IW.

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    NIcely said. I'd add Galactus because the idea of an ominous World Eater running around the Marvel Cinematic Universe would be great fun to see. Now just get Universal to give up Namor and I'll be good. :)

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Master_Lok
    Who knows what the truth of it is, but you may have your wish. MAY.

In 2012, Marvel CCO Joe Quesada thought Namor's film rights had reverted to Marvel, but in August 2013 it was revealed by Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige that this was not the case, and the rights remained at Universal Pictures.[109] Borys Kit of The Hollywood Reporter stated in May 2014 that Marvel now has the rights for Namor.[110][111] On June 3, 2014, Kit confirmed that Marvel, not Universal now has the Namor film rights.[110] On July 18, 2014, Feige told IGN in an interview that the Namor film rights are not with Universal or Legendary Pictures, but he explained there are a number of contracts and deals that need to be sorted out.[112] In June 2016, on the podcast Fat Man on Batman, Quesada again stated that, to his knowledge, Marvel owned the film rights to Namor.[113]

5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm not sure the MCU "needs" anything given their both critical and box office successes, and their formula of not focusing on the villains.

However, Dr. Doom would be an incredible score for the MCU in that Doom is Marvel's version of Lex Luthor with the gravitas of being a dictator of his own country. Moreover, Marvel has a super rich history with Dr. Doom.

And simply, Doom is badass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Mind blown out of thread :p ...thanks for the footnotes.

Diggy likes this.
  7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    if you're not dead of boredom by the third week of january

9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I haven't followed the comics closely, but I don't see how Doctor Doom can match Thanos w/ Infinity Gauntlet on the threat scale. Heck, even in the source material, Doom has to team up with the heroes to go after Thanos.

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    IIRC, in that panel above, Doom has the power of the Beyonder.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Eh, Lex can beat that.

[​IMG]

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that's from the Battleworld reality of recent Secret Wars where Doom was effectively a god in charge of keeping the reality together.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, but even a god could fear a man. Enter Reed Richards. It was such a great moment for Reed.
    Overall, I enjoyed the 2015 version of Secret Wars and some of the tie-ins.

At any rate, I do believe that Dr. Doom would make a great antagonist in a post Thanos MCU. I just hope they don't tie Doom's origin with the Fantastic Four again. Go a different route.

Master_Lok likes this.
  14. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    But enough about the first Thor movie. :p

(For me, it felt the most boring. I liked the second and third Thor movies better).

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    if we're talking about worthwhile viewing

im1, cap1, av1, cap2, gotg1, av2, cap3, and spidey.

spend the saved time watching and rewatching the glorious two seasons of daredevil

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
  17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'm sure Fox shareholders are excited for this deal to go through as much as Marvel nerds; perhaps even more.

$60 billion is a huge number, especially in comparison to when Disney bought Lucasfilm and Marvel Entertainment for (IIRC) $4 billion respectively. It was a wise investment for Disney to purchase those two entities as The Force Awakens and Rogue One has grossed about $3 billion with The Last Jedi expected to gross in the billions as well; plus Marvel Studios films have grossed around $13 billion YTD. I'm not sure how long it would take for Disney to make a profit on the $60 billion investment in Fox's assets. I mean, (rhetorically speaking) how much more money would the X-Men and Fantastic Four films add to the MCU annually? An X-Men or Fantastic Four film would more than likely take another character's film spot in the line up much like Spider-Man did, which pushed back Black Panther, Antman & The Wasp and Captain Marvel. (Also rhetorical) Would Disney risk saturating the market and produce 4 to 5 MCU films a year? Many feel this move is to bolster their media library for the launch of their paid streaming service and hit the ground running against their competition like Netflix and Amazon Prime.

As a long time Marvelite, I've hoped and dreamed from a deal like this to take place and truly have a Marvel cinematic universe with all it's major characters appearing together or crossing over.

I suspect Kevin Feige knew this deal was in the works for a long time because deals like this takes months to prepare because of natural course of due diligence, evaluation of assets, financial forecasts, governmental rules and regulations and so on. Thus, the comments of the MCU having two distinct periods (before Infinity War ("BIF") and after Infinity War ("AIF")) could have been Feige hint at the inclusion of Fox's assets. Marvel Studios has gone on record they've planned the next 20 or so films, which would be easier to fill with X-Men and Fantastic Four part of the cinematic universe.

I really hope this deal closes next week as I'd get two early Christmas gifts with the finalization of the deal and getting to see The Last Jedi.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

https://www.statista.com/statistics/262513/21st-century-foxs-annual-revenue/

$28.5B revenue annually, with "more than half" (so, say 55%) from cable news programming -- which isn't being sold. At $13B per annum, it'll take 5 years.

Considering depreciation doesn't occur until after then (or another 5 years after depending on asset), and all of the solid (i.e. static) revenue from home video assets... that's a ridiculous "bargain" for $60B...

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  19. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Chris EvansVerified account @ChrisEvans
    FollowFollow
    @ChrisEvans

More
    Chris Evans Retweeted CNBC
    So who do I talk to about a Cap/Human Torch buddy comedy spin-off? I’m thinking Planes, Trains and Automobiles meets Parent Trap.
    Chris Evans added,
    CNBCVerified account @CNBC
    BREAKING: Walt Disney Co. & 21st Century Fox closing in on deal that could come as soon as next week; enterprise value for 21st Century Fox assets seen above $60 billion - sources http://cnbc.com/id/104880090
    7:41 AM - 6 Dec 2017

• [face_laugh]

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    ^ this guy gets it.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Man, I forgot about these-

22. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    As much as the MCU superiority in quality of product output over its DC counterpart has been aptly proven, yeah, a lot of those movies don't lend themselves to second viewings, despite having some good moments here and there. I remember trying a marathon viewing years back prior to Avengers 1 and, oh boy, it wasn't easy. Particularly and especially in regards to Iron Man 2.

23. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I actually re-watched Iron Man 2 a few times when it was on TV...I liked it better after the second viewing. But yeah, with most of the Marvel films I haven't really bothered to go back and re-watch them.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Iron Man 2 was imo the only real total misfire of Phase 1... it's like Batman v. Superman in that they rushed trying to raise the interpersonal stakes of the overarching universe without any building of the framework around some individually very fun scenes.

We've met only Bruce Banner by this point in Phase 1, and we've no real reason to care about SHIELD and Tony's self-destructive behavior impacting them (the Rhodey and Pepper stuff works better). It's why when Age of Ultron pulls much of the same story beats it works much, much better (though far less than The Avengers) because of the careful introduction and integration of all of the characters prior...

25. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.