main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The thing is that RDjr effectively changed Tony Stark's personality into an exaggerated version of his own; if you get someone new, do you go back to Tony's original personality from the comics (kind of dry and analytical), or do you get your new actor to try and ape RDjr?

I've heard Jake Gyllenhaal's name linked to the part, and I think he could offer a good, more serious take on the role; Timothy Olyphant is someone else I think could work as Stark, mainly because I think he's so charismatic in Justified.

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    With Ben Affleck? :p

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    As someone who actually likes the Daredevil movie I wouldn't mind that. :p

But realistically, no, he'd obviously have to be recast.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think whoever takes over for RDJ, whenever that may be, won't try to impersonate RDJ. He'll probably have to bring over some qualities of the performance but I think it'd simply be a new take on the character (much like the various Bonds over the years, or Pine taking over for Shatner, etc- or even a new comics writer/artist team starting their run on the character aftera previous team's run [which would explain why Tony would look different! ;)]).

Ruffalo is probably our best example- he brought over enough of Norton's demeanor enough to be recognizable and consistent as the same character, but he also made it his own take on the character at the same time.

I think the main reason people are so iffy on the prospect of a new Stark actor is that, unlike Batman or Superman or other major heroes or even James Bond, etc, Iron Man has never had more than one actor truly portray him on screen (outside of games and animation, at least), so we're not yet used to the notion of the role beyond the actor who initially defined it.

Also, supposedly RDJ is using his leverage to try and get a better deal for his Avengers costars, so, kudos to him for not being greedy and helping out his coworkers.

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    There's also the possiblity, no matter how remote that maybe that RDJ may have Christopher Reeve'd Iron Man as far as the big screen goes. A lot of fans still consider Reeve to be the big screen definition of Superman, no matter that 30 years has gone by since Reeve first played the role and that he's been dead for a number of years now. (and too incapacitated to play the role for at least a decade prior to his death)

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Or, instead of trying to force a 4th Iron man just pull back and use him in Avengers only otherwise you wind up just making a bad movie. I don't mind a single actor playing a role like this. You can other things and just make an occasional return to the role.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah I'm fine with not having an Iron Man 4.

8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Darth_Invidious and Juliet316 like this.
  9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Admittedly, I'd still prefer a Black Widow film as she's the more known female property in the MCU, but if they can introduce Carol Danvers in the other films first, I'd have no problem with a Captain Marvel film.

*coughIdrisElbaforBladecough*

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I would love a Black Widow film.

GenAntilles and Juliet316 like this.
  11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    From the headline I just read RDJ is worried about money. **** you. if he dodges out of the franchise because he doesn't have enough money which he clearly does then I'll be more than prepared to accept someone else as Iron Man.

12. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    If Timothy Olyphant dyes his hair black and grows facial hair similar to Stark, they can have all of my money.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    For the overall MCU... I thought Captain America (and Evans' portrayal of him) was fine in the Avengers... but Captain America as a standalone movie was kind of boring to me. Same with Thor; good in the Avengers, kind of boring as a standalone movie.

Regarding RDJ... I enjoyed the irony at the very end of Iron Man 3 of hearing Tony Stark, as voiced by RDJ, end his little voiceover monologue by saying "I am Iron Man." [face_laugh]

14. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    No. I'm terribly sorry.

I wouldn't take it so personally, if I were you. If RDJ thinks he can get Disney to pay him more money than last time--which he clearly does--why would he not push for more?

By this logic we should boycott any movie star who makes more than about $300,000 for a movie role, because any actor who gets cast consistently really wouldn't need more than that to live more than comfortably.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, apparently Redford dropped a bit of a spoiler about TWS in relation to one reason why he chose to do the role:

He gets to play against type and play a villain, . So I'm guessing Cap has to deal with not only TWS but also SHIELD corruption.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Hmmmm....
    Does this mean we possibly get to see an awesome badass fight between SLJ and Redford? Because if we do, I may actual fork over money to see this in a theater.
    [face_praying][face_praying][face_praying]

The2ndQuest likes this.
  17. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    In which case will wind up with
    Nick Fury dying and being replaced with Tony Stark as SHIELD director. ;)

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Like Tony would actually want THAT job.

19. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Dunno, he did it in Civil War. OMG Avengers 2 is Civil War.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  20. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Isn't Hill next in the chain of command if Fury dies though?

21. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    [​IMG]

22. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Yes, but after the mess that was Civil War, Maria Hill resigned to her old position of Deputy Director under Tony Stark.

Besides...Cobie Smulders isn't exactly bankable like SLJ or RDJ.

23. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    If memory serves Hill under Tony became quite literal under his leadership as head of SHIELD.

Not yet at least. Look at Clark Gregg, if they announced he'd take over SHIELD in phase III the internet would declare a day of celebration.

24. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    [​IMG]

Bit of a difference, as Clark Gregg was given free reign to create his own character from scratch...so much so that I'm pretty sure the line about 'tase you and watch Supernanny while you drool on the carpet' was his own idea.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Someone needs to explain the ET connection there, lol.

Would that mean Thanos takes the place of Secret Invasion in Avengers 3?

Juliet316 likes this.