main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC You went into prison in 1980, aged 18. Today you are released

Discussion in 'Community' started by Diggy , Aug 18, 2015.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'd probably be really confused that a guy named Bush was still running in the GOP primary and wonder if the last 35 years of prison was just a fever dream.

Coruscant likes this.
  2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    [face_laugh] Yeah a tad early that

3. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    whats the internet and where can I get one

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I guess I'm most freaked out by people who are surprised that I know what the Internet is. Everybody knows about ARPANET's gradual switch to TCP/IP, jeez. Vint Cerf, Bob Kahn... surely I wasn't the only person reading Popular Science, right?

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    What are these Star Wars prequels you speak of?

6. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    whats a cell phone?

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    OK guys. I know we're all ubernerds but let's try and think outside the bubble for a second.

You've been in jail 35 years, and people here assume causes for a freak out would include:

* Star Wars prequels
    * Star Wars sequels
    * Star Wars OT
    * TF.N (unless beezel specifically), and
    * Kids cartoons

Just think about what you're saying.

Debo likes this.
  8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Don't they get newspapers and the odd recreational TV break in prisons? Presumably that would keep folks abreast of main points. At minimum terrible conditions would indicate that Reagan got elected... twice.

9. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Clearly I am a visionary.

darthdrago and Ender Sai like this.
  10. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    where can I find a rotary dial phone?

11. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Ronald Reagan? The Actor?!

12. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

No. The spokesman for General Electric Theater.

13. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    A friend of mine had a relative who was incarcerated for 30 years on armed robbery charges, got out of the clink about 6-7 months ago. He had newspapers and a tv, so he had some idea of what was going on in society, but it was the little things that really took some getting used to. He noticed that there were a lot more fat people than he had imagined. There were more ways to keep oneself entertained and yet people will complain about being bored when there are plenty of other things around to keep them occupied. Social media is *everywhere* and it is still creepy to him, he knew about Facebook and Twitter, but the fact that people feel compelled to broadcast the inane details of their lives just baffles him. Instagram is confusing to him "You have the best damn camera in the world in your pocket, why do you want your pictures to look like ****?" Stores like Wal Mart also give him pause. He went to Wal Mart back in the early 80s, but there weren't the size of airplane hangars back then and all of the stuff that was for sale there really confused him. Also, the slow death of the American shopping mall is also puzzling to him as that was the place to be back in the day.

He was impressed with other things. He was aware of iPads and other tablets but using one just blew him away. He also liked the designs of modern cars. Websites like eBay and craigslist fascinated the hell out of him and it is what he is doing to make money as nobody will hire him due to his record. He has also spent a lot of time catching up on movies and pop culture. He loves the Simpsons, South Park, and anything made by Pixar. However, his favorite thing to do is to go outside and walk around. He has spent days walking 4-5 miles sometimes just because he can do it.

14. Emperor_Time

Emperor_Time Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2007
    Then who's vice president? Jerry Lewis?

15. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    definitely throwing my hat in the "tryign to find the real killer and clear my good name" pile

Ender Sai likes this.
  16. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

whenever i read your posts i feel like im being emailed rejected ideas for jeff dunham puppet characters. i guess that's basically what it must be like living in iowa

if only you people were just a smidge more creative, i imagine it would be the mass suicide capital of the world

17. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Come on. You definitely did it. Probably ate the victim as well.

18. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    yeah but episodic television

19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I met someone who did a long prison stretch, he said that he had lost his sense of scale while being away, and that cars seemed bigger, and roads seemed wider than he remembered. After a few years out, he got back into his old ways, ended up back inside, and decided to call it a day.

Roads, where he's gone, he don't need roads

20. Bob Crow

Bob Crow Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 7, 2015
    All the Marathon bars have 'Snickers' written on them. WTF? I've stepped into some ****ed up parallel universe.

Diggy likes this.
  21. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Why do all the ladies have no pubic hair? This reminds me of why I got put away in the first place. There IS something wrong with jailbait.

23. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    You're 53. Welcome to the end of your life.

24. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Mom and I just watched that film a few weeks ago, so the quote is still fresh in my head.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  25. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

what im saying is that wont be revealed until like the 3rd season finale