main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You'll believe a man can fly... Again. Superman Returns!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Tabula Rasa, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    ^And Clarks mom is played by two different people. And how she looks older in the photograph than in real life?

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The interactive hologram with Jor-El still wouldn't work. The power to use that is gone. All that's left is the power to run the molecue chamber. That's one of the reason's Singer was adamant about the first two films being vauge. Not just because of the time period or the age appearences of Lois & Clark.

3. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    ^But SR claims that Superman left Earth to see if there were more of his people out in the galaxy when he heard that astronmers found Kyrpton. His ship came from the Fortress.

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i still maintain the belief that when Superman reveresed everything in Superman 2 The Donner Cut that it repaired the fortress as well

5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yes, which is true when you take the vague sorta history into effect with the Donner Cut. The style and tone of the Donner Cut is what Singer refered to. But elements such as the Fortress not being destroyed, being able to use the Jor-El crystals, etc. That's just a by-product of making his film before the Donner Cut came out. Remember, Singer had his script ready and was filming Returns when WB decided to go ahead and allow Michael Thau and Richard Donner to recut Superman II. Singer didn't know what was going to be in the recut, specifically if the Fortress being destroyed and which ending was going to be used. By the time he did know, it was too late to change Returns to match up.

6. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    Yeah, the Singer movie really fits better with the Lester/partial Donner version of Superman II because one could always argue that Jason has powers because Kal-El still had Kryptonian DNA when he slept with Lois in his mortal form. Remember, Lara says that he would become mortal via the chamber, not human.

In all honesty, it's probably better that it fits with the theatrical version of Superman II because the vast majority of people who claim to like the Superman movies don't even know that their is a Donner version of the film now.

7. CJS

CJS Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2006
    Or they are Superman fans, like me, who just cannot justify buying the whole 14 disc set.

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    You can buy the Donner cut separately. So the Ultimate set has very little to do with it. Besides, it's not as expensive in most places you find them. Look at how many have been able to get it for $60 some dollars in the US. If people are buying Star Wars, Matrix, Lord Of The Rings and television series box sets, they'll pay for this at that price.

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i looked past Superman III and IV when i got the ultimate set. i'm more interested in everything else, especially the special features. i haven't gotten through everything yet but it's looking to be nearly as good as the Alien Quadrilogy set.

10. JEDI_MISFIT138

JEDI_MISFIT138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    I absolutely love my 14 disc set, but I've hardly made a dent in it because I can't stop watching Superman Returns. Just an amazing and powerful movie. Other than that I've only watched the Donner cut, which was awesome and much better to me than the Lester version, and the Superman Returns documentary, which is now my 2nd favorite DVD documentary behind the one for TPM. I have the next 2 days off, so I'm really gonna try to set aside a few hours and dive into all the features.

11. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    We popped SR into the DVD player Sunday night because my WIFE of all people wanted to show it to her mother, telling her it was a really great movie. :eek:

We didn't get very far before dinner and kids called us away. :(

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    For those who haven't seen it yet, the Phantom Zone villians as re-imagined by Adam Kubert as part of the Donner/Johns/Kubert run on Action Comics.

[image=http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/darth-sinister/Avatars/AC845_22_23_clrR1.jpg]

Note Zod's chest insignia being like the Smallville version.

13. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
  14. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Watched Supes today and this definitely is something that needs the biggest TV in the house. My 20 in doesn't cut, even though I love it.

15. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005

i know. this is a movie that needs to be watched on one of those huge widescreen tvs

16. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    It was still enjoyable, but I definitely need the theater experience to get the full potential once more.

17. jedisizzlin12

jedisizzlin12 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2006
    JediMisfit: I'm with ya..Have the 14 disc collection and have barely watched anything..except the movies. Just can't seem to stop watching them. I guess I'll get around to it.

and sadly..even a 52" widescreen doesn't do Superman Returns justice. It's like the SW or LOTR movies....it just HAS to be seen in a theatre. It's really the only way to watch it.

18. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I just picked the DVD the other day gave me a chance to refresh my memory of it, alot of good stuff but definitely flat in patches and it does seem to drag abit, although it does pick up towards the end. But I still don't the son idea and this Lois Lane seems pretty lifeless compared to other versions.

19. JEDI_MISFIT138

JEDI_MISFIT138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    and sadly..even a 52" widescreen doesn't do Superman Returns justice. It's like the SW or LOTR movies....it just HAS to be seen in a theatre. It's really the only way to watch it.

I feel the same. I also have a 52" widescreen TV and it's still nothing like the theater. But it's much, much better than the 27" I used to have. I can't imagine watching it on that without surround sound. My brother hadn't seen the movie and wanted to borrow it, but I said no, you gotta come over and see it on a bigger screen with the sound blasting. He loved the movie.

20. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    Yeah. I saw the 3D version, and was slightly dissapointed by the DVD version. The scenes just weren't powerful enough on the TV.

21. jedisizzlin12

jedisizzlin12 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2006
    Well? I think I got a little overzealous with my home theatre. I wanted to feel the experience of Superman flying....and now..the tweeters in my front speakers..uh.. kinda rattle. hehe. I'm just surprised I didn't damage them with ROTS. Oh well.

22. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I enjoyed the movie but am not sure of whether or not to pick up the 2-Disc DVD. Part of me wants to but the other part says "Wait until 2009 and see if another edition comes out right before the SR sequel". That type of thing happens a lot when as sequels get nearer and nearer to being released in theaters.

23. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    I was watching Superman III last night, and there is a connection with SR. In the movie Ross Webster has Gus Gorman look for debri from Krypton floating around in space. Maybe a few years later, Superman learned of this, and decided to head to the remains of Krypton to see if there were any survivors?

24. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    I highly doubt SR will get anyadditional re-releases on DVD, for quite some while, since it was out on almost every format; HDVD, Blue-ray, and included in the Ultimate Set, "they wanted to milk this release for all it's worth". I don't have the feeling that Warners will release anything til 2010 or later. Since, "Superman the Movie" wasn't even released back in 2000 until now. Plus "SR" 2-discs are pretty condensive,(when it comes to the behind the scenes footage). Unlike the people @ Sony which carefully distributes it's material:ie, Sam Rami himself said, that there will be a "new" Spiderman 2 edition before the next one in the summer and this was when Spiderman 2 was about to be released in theatres.

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Two problems wrong.

1. Martha is dead in III, but alive in Returns.

2. Clark left a couple of weeks after II ended. III takes place about three years or so after II. In the first film, he was in the Fortress for 12 years from when he finished high school. In III, it is the 15 year class reunion.

If not for Martha being alive, then III and IV would almost fit in with Returns. Singer choose to ingore those sequels. In II, Martha is still alive since Clark was sending half of his paycheck to her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.